Moisture in headlamp
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Moisture in headlamp in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have had my car for over a month and washed it several times. but last night i notice condensation ...
    torogt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4 V8 White Diamond Pearl 1SG

Moisture in headlamp

I have had my car for over a month and washed it several times. but last night i notice condensation in the headlamp. the lens is not cracked, anyone have idea how its getting in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Re: Moisture in headlamp

It's the seal between the housing and the clear lens. Replacements are Very expensive it's the entire housing...

BUT, good news is, you can fix this yourself! It's a simple job that's a bit more complicated when you find you need to remove the entire front of the car to do it though It actually looks like more of a job than it is.

Do a SEARCH here, there are lots of posts about "condensation".

Basically, pull the dz or more plastic clips and 4 nuts that hold the ft bumper cover to access the housing bolts and remove them Both (if ones leaking the others not far behind). Dry them out and reseal with silicone (I used Permatex Windshield Sealer, it a "watery" silicone that flows into sm cracks)

Depending on your weather, I'd do it soon! It'd be less fun in the very cold.

If you wait too long that water will stain the inside and ruin the housing...

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

If you are under warranty, you can make a claim of 'excessive condensation.' Some members have prevailed.

Good luck!

turnerbend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS

Had my headllamps replaced a few years back. Cost over $2500 for both. (under warranty).

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

Yea it would be great if your under warranty. Water messes these headlights up quick.

If no warranty then get em off and sealed up quick.

torogt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4 V8 White Diamond Pearl 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    If you are under warranty, you can make a claim of 'excessive condensation.' Some members have prevailed.

Good luck!
    My car is still under the corrosion warranty but I dont know if the headlamp would be included?

STS_0423 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06' STS, 03' Mountaineer, 98' Civic Hatch, 04' R1

Quote Originally Posted by torogt View Post
    I have had my car for over a month and washed it several times. but last night i notice condensation in the headlamp. the lens is not cracked, anyone have idea how its getting in?
    ahhhh the age old problem for the STS....look at it this way, you are properly not a part of the STS owners group if you do not have this problem. I think this is the first problem most of us run into when we first buy the car. In other words, you are not alone, this is a problem for the entire STS fleet. Anyway, as you have already been told, you may try to replace it with warranty. If not, it is a relatively easy fix. You will have to take off the entire front clip of the car, DO NOT try to cut corner as you will most likely mess something up and will end up being more pissed off at the end. You have to take out the plastics in the wheel wells and there is a nut on the inside of the fenders. Other than that there some other bolts along the bottom of the bumper...take your time and don't rush. There are 3 bolts (I think, its been a while) that hold the light housing in. Once you take out the housing, just put in a good water resistant silicone along all the cracks and where you think water would get in. I did this about 1 1/2 ago and never looked back. I have never had a problem since. Plus look at it this way, doing it yourself would give you great practice when it is time to replace a 30 cent light bulb that the dealership would want to charge you over $100 for in labor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.