STS final drive ratios V8 Base (RWD) 1SE 1SF 1SG
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS final drive ratios V8 Base (RWD) 1SE 1SF 1SG in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    rayainsw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

STS final drive ratios V8 Base (RWD) 1SE 1SF 1SG

“Vehicles equipped with the V-6, which are only available in rear-wheel-drive, have a performance-optimized drive ratio of 3.42.

Vehicles equipped with the V-8 engine are available with three final drive ratios configurations; 2.73 for enhanced fuel economy; 3.23 for mid-sport performance; and a 3.42 for optimized performance. Exported vehicles are only equipped with the 3.42 final drive.”

“Vehicles equipped with all wheel drive (V-8-equipped vehicles only) have a final drive ratio of 3.23.“ – Caddy

The STS brochure indicates 3.42 comes with the 1SG / “Premium Luxury Performance Package”

So – my question is, what final drive ratio does the (RWD, obviously) V8 Base / 1SE / and 1SF come with? 2.73? 3.23?

Anyone?

I might be able to live with the 3.23 (approx. 6% diff.) – but probably NOT the 2.73. That is giving up too much of the acceleration I’d be buying that 4.6L V8 for . . .

Confused – as usual.
    Thanks,
    - Ray
    With an appointment to drive a 1SF . . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Re: STS final drive ratios V8 Base (RWD) 1SE 1SF 1SG

Well, since there are no RPO codes or ways to order a specific drive ratio, my best guess would be (since I still don't have all mechanical parameters available) that the 1SE is 2.73, 1SF is 3.23, and 1SG w/o AWD is 3.42.

Edit: Okay, I'm right. I pulled a GMVIS, vehicle build on a 1SE and it's 2.73, and on a 1SF and it's 3.23, and on a 1SG and it's 3.42.

Hope this helps.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    Well, since there are no RPO codes or ways to order a specific drive ratio, my best guess would be (since I still don't have all mechanical parameters available) that the 1SE is 2.73, 1SF is 3.23, and 1SG w/o AWD is 3.42.

Edit: Okay, I'm right. I pulled a GMVIS, vehicle build on a 1SE and it's 2.73, and on a 1SF and it's 3.23, and on a 1SG and it's 3.42.

Hope this helps.
    Excellent - thank you very much for taking the time to do that research for me - since I have no such access.

- Ray
    Now more excited about driving a 1SF . . .

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

honestly, I would like to know how the 2.73 would perform.... I don't think it would be too bad... my '93 DeVille has a 2.73 FDR (4.9) and it moves pretty good.... just imagine another 120hp and 40 ft*lbs of torque.... it should be ok.... of course if I ever got the STS, I would want the 3.42

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    honestly, I would like to know how the 2.73 would perform.... I don't think it would be too bad... my '93 DeVille has a 2.73 FDR (4.9) and it moves pretty good.... just imagine another 120hp and 40 ft*lbs of torque.... it should be ok.... of course if I ever got the STS, I would want the 3.42
    With the 5 speed's agressive gearing, I don't think you'd really be able to tell that much of a difference in the real world, but all things equal, 3.42 is better than 2.73. I really think the 1SG should have been 3.73!
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Well - in my neverending quest (?) for further STS data, I drove the first 1SF V8 delivered to my closest dealer.

Very briefly, the different final drive gear makes this a MUCH more responsive and sporty feeling vehicle.

More later,
    - Ray
    Catching up at work . . . .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.