Another STS V8 test drive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Another STS V8 test drive in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    rayainsw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Another STS V8 test drive

2005 sts test drive 1

1SE

Coming from: Most recently = 12,000 miles in a 2003 Lincoln LS V8 Sport – 3.9L / 280 HP V8 w/ 5 speed auto-manual and similar weight.

Correction: The STS V8 appears to be approx. 300# heavier than my LS V8.
    - Oops - Sorry . . .

I drove it for about 15 miles – over very familiar streets and a stretch of Interstate near where I live.

First, since this was a 1SE with no other options (only 2 V8 STSs that my closest dealer has received were identical except for color.) and if I purchased one, it will likely be a 1SG, with the “Performance Handling Package” = Michelin P255/45R18 Pilot Sport (Sport Package) on 8” wide rims = Free Flow RPO: QAF.

So - I tried to focused on the items / attributes that would likely be very similar on a 1SG. And not on things that would be changed.

Trans. – smooth up and downshifts. Somewhat better shift quality than I have now. No odd behavior there, except . . .

In a test, I left it in the Manual Gate, in 5th gear, when coming to a full stop. It still displayed M5 – but when I pulled away, it had clearly, really put itself back into full automatic mode? Display stayed the same. Seems very odd.

I heard sliding noises (apparently coming from the 2 / 4 intersecting slide cover pieces that keep anything from falling down into the console shift mechanism??) on every movement of the lever forward or back for a ‘manual’ shift. Perhaps an adjustment could fix this? (Mine has always been silent.)

Ride without MagnaRide – very similar to my 2003 Lincoln LS8 Sport. Not bad, but not as smooth over patched asphalt as I had hoped. But again, I am waiting for 1 with MagnaRide (1SG or 1SF, sunroof, etc.) to drive for comparison. I am hoping that the MagnaRide will allow an STS with the 18” wheels to ride at least as well as my LS on 17s.

Engine – Very quiet. Too quiet for my taste – Actually, not the engine, but rather the dual exhaust is too quiet for me. I prefer to hear at least some of that unique V8 heterodyne beat. I’d expect to either replace the rear mufflers with something like MagnaFlows or have a full ‘CatBack’ system like Corsa’s put on shortly after purchase. But that’s just me.

Perhaps someone can help me here –

My understanding of optional / available axle ratios is:

V-6: 3.42.
    V-8: 2.73, 3.23, 3.42.
    AWD V-8: 3.23 only.

The brochure shows the 3.42 as included with the 1SG. Does this mean that all other (non-1SG) V8 STSs coming with the 2.73? Or at least all ‘V8 Base’ and 1SEs?

This would potentially explain the relatively high EPA highway number of 26 – and the fact that many who have driven the news STS state that it does not feel like 320 hp / sub-6 sec. 0-60. I would have to agree, the acceleration (both ‘off the line’ and highway merge) was not what I had expected.

That 2.73 ratio would take away substantial acceleration – but allow low rpm at cruise. (2.73 to 3.42 = approx. 20% less torque multiplication!!!!) Particularly if 1SG is limited to a very small percentage of total V8 production, perhaps that allows a higher (weighted) EPA average? Will the EPA ratings listed on a 1SG be different than other V8s? Has anyone seen a 1SG sticker? Interesting. . .

My dealer notified me, via email after I left, that he expects a 1SG this Friday. Perhaps I can answer a few of my own questions, if it actually arrives on schedule.

Interesting drive.
    - Ray
    STS V8 is still on my ‘short list’ for whenever I feel that my LS needs replacement . . .

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ormond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ex-Allante owner

Re: Another STS V8 test drive

I am considering a LSV8 Sport and the STS. The interior on the LS seems rather plain, but I like the heated/cooled seats and the electronic parking brake. I am going to try the STS V6 too.

Have you had good luck with the LS? I imagine the resale value isn't the greatest...

rayainsw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Another STS V8 test drive

" I imagine the resale value isn't the greatest..."

True - and the way I addressed this was buying a 2003 in January of this year - at Invoice less a $6,000 rebate.

For just over $32K out the door, I have essentially had Ford / L-M largely take care of my initial depreciation concerns. . .

No issues at 12,000+ miles.

The cooled seats are terrific here (Atlanta area) and I believe the 1SF and 1SG STS both have this as well.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Enjoyin the drive . . .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.