My Take On the STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, My Take On the STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well, they have finally made it to South Carolina. Saw my first STS in person tonight under the lights of ...
    b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

My Take On the STS

Well, they have finally made it to South Carolina.

Saw my first STS in person tonight under the lights of the dealer's lot.
    This was a 59K V8 in Moonstone.
    I drove by the dealership at 45 mph and even from 200' away I knew what I saw parked out front was not a CTS.
    The front end and hood area were just too large to be a CTS.
    How could anybody confuse the 2?

I think the design from the front all the way to the C pillar is excellent.
    But from the side the rear is just too truncated.
    It is as if the designers were saying, "we need to make the car X in length and we have about 2" of trunk we need to lop off."
    It just seems too short from the rear wheels to the bumper, and the rear edge of the bumper cover is so close to the trunk lid.
    On the CTS the bumper sticks out farther from the trunk.
    Also the the spoiler makes the length of the trunklid look REALLY short.
    It exxagerates the shortness of the rear deck, and has to go in my opinion.
    I think this design element(short deck) takes away from the presence of the car.
    Other than that one nit to pick I think it looks great and will be a success.
    It also appeared to me that the front seat travel is greater than the CTS's
    which should make up for the intrusion of the center stack into front legroom.
    I forgot to look at the rear legroom.
    Seems like the STS is a nice alternative and upgrade over the CTS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

majax is offline 32V Northstar

Re: My Take On the STS

Cool , I like the trunk on it though i think its kinda sad its smaller than the 98-04s.

Crozier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by b4z
    It just seems too short from the rear wheels to the bumper, and the rear edge of the bumper cover is so close to the trunk lid.

Every car manufacturer wants to push the wheels as far into the corners, or edges, of the car as possible. This really increases the handling capabilities of the car and also helps with interior room and road noise. So I guess that this is a 'good thing' that the rear wheels are close to the bumper.

b4z

I like long wheelbase cars. Helps with interior room and much better ride quality.
    But STS has a 3" longer wheelbase than CTS but rear legroom is only 1.5" greater.(it Looks tight back there).
    Seems like a different rearend design would help looks. But overall I am very pleased with the car.

Crozier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I like long wheelbase cars. Helps with interior room and much better ride quality.
    But STS has a 3" longer wheelbase than CTS but rear legroom is only 1.5" greater.(it Looks tight back there).
    Seems like a different rearend design would help looks. But overall I am very pleased with the car.
    B4z,

Rear seat comfort was a big issue for me when looking at the new STS. I often drive around with 3 or 4 adults in the car and hate my company having to feel like they're riding in a small car.

When I rode around in the back of the new STS on a test drive (wife was driving) I was not overwhelmed by the room, but by no means was I dissappointed. I'm just over 6 ft and didn't feel at all cramped. Plenty, of shoulder, leg, and waist room. You might even consider this a true 5 person car.
    I did some investigating on the car comparison website "Autosite" to see how the STS stacked up against the competition. I was quite surprised!

Leg Room

STS - 38.3"
    Mercedes E 500 35.6
    BMW 5 Series 36.0
    Infiniti Q45 37.3
    Jaguar S Type 37.0
    Cadillac CTS 36.2

So while the STS isn't as cushy in the rear as say, the DTS, it is at least an inch bigger than it's closest competition, and close to three inches larger than the Mercedes E Class. Seems like they're right in line with their competition, and gave us a little more room to boot.

hawkman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I went and looked at several Friday night. The look of the car from the front is beautiful!! It looks best in Black and Maroon, why they continue to show it in grey astonds me. It is the worst color for the cars! The car overall is very good looking. The car looks more aggressive in person.

The interior looks really nice. I saw one with the sticker on the window for $43,000 and it was beautiful!!

The wood interior is the only option IMHO. One of the cars had the Aluminum finnish and it does not look nice. Unless you have to pay a premium for the Wood, it is the only real option!

b4z

Saw 2 cars last Friday without the spoiler. Looks much better!!

In my opinion this car needs 18" wheels. Even the 17" optional polished wheels looked a little small. I imagine the standard 17" painted wheels must be pretty bad.

The car is stunning in Moonstone. Perfectly applied and lots of metallic in the V8 I saw.

rayainsw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The car is stunning in Moonstone. Perfectly applied and lots of metallic in the V8 I saw.
    I saw a CTS in this color this weekend - I agree - very striking!
    - Ray
    Trying to schedule a 1SG test drive . . .

STSOnly is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Saw 2 cars last Friday without the spoiler. Looks much better!!

In my opinion this car needs 18" wheels. Even the 17" optional polished wheels looked a little small. I imagine the standard 17" painted wheels must be pretty bad.

It does look best in 18" wheels. I've seen it in every other color but White Diamond. I would love to see it in White Diamond.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.