help, front doors won't open
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, help, front doors won't open in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; history.... changed batteries in remotes they work fine unlocks doors(except front) trunk, sounds horn etc. Problem is when you walk ...
    usalimey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts

help, front doors won't open

history....
    changed batteries in remotes they work fine
    unlocks doors(except front) trunk, sounds horn etc.
    Problem is when you walk up to car it senses remotes ,, try to open front doors and you can hear rear doors unlock but NOT the 2 front doors,,
    Drivers door pops open when using key.Rear doors can be opened using handle

more history....
    it started with front passenger door intermittently ,, then quit totally,now its moved to drivers door.

seems like doors are popped open electrically, is there an actuator or lock solenoid in door,,

anyone have the same problem?? and what was the fix??

Thanks................

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: help, front doors won't open

The front door has sensors that detect the presence of the FOB and when you pull the handle the solenoids activate and the door opens. Sounds like the sensors in the front doors may be bad. You might want to try to reprogram the remotes.

Bob

aren't the sensors seeing the remotes? when I walk up and try and open the front door,,I hear the back doors unlock ,, its just the front door isn't unlocking when I walk up

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Try holding the Fob next to the handle itself (where the cars antenna is). As they fail, they fail with range...

if I'm able to unlock rear doors when I walk up to car and pull drivers handle,, isn't the car "seeing" the remote,, if not the rear doors would stay locked...........isn't that correct?

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Maybe the rear doors are "seeing" the remote the drivers is not. I carry the Fob in my back pants pocket. About 10% of the time I have similar symptoms as you do. If I turn around (bringing the Fob close to the door handle) it opens every time. It seems like maybe each handle has its own antenna? Maybe?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The antennas to unlock the doors without hitting any buttons on the fob are only in the front door handles. The rear doors are only supposed to unlock after a front door has been activated by the fob and the handle pulled. Under proper operation it is possible to pull a front door handle just a bit to unlock the rears and then open a back door.

The front doors never really lock & unlock; they just release the latch when they reach 'full pull'.

I'm convinced you have the common problem. It's a bit rare for them both to go bad at once. Do they ever work correctly? EFI can cause a lot of problems and make marginal operation worse.

If you've never done a system reset, remove both battery cables and touch them together. Reconnect. If the problem persists and all the batteries are good, replace the drivers side door handle. If that works, replace the other.

Echas3.....they used to work,, then the passenger side started acting up,, sometimes it would open sometimes not,, intermittent probs hard to fix ,, anyway it finally quit and the drivers side started the same thing ,, and got to point were it doesn't work at all(got there a lot faster). the drivers door still"pops" open with the key,, and they can both be opened from the inside. If the antennas are bad in door handles ,, Why does it unlock rear doors?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

It doesn't have to be the antennas. It could be the latch release that has failed. I assumed the latch release was in the handle but after further consideration, perhaps not. Some member must have been into the door. How hard is it to change a door latch?

Someone once posted that a door handle micro switch had failed. Are there two? One to unlock the rears doors and another to trip the latch?

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

I've got the same problem......... exactly as you described. I am going to mess around with it tonight. I have not tried the second FOB to see it it works or not. I'm thinking its the antenna....... As I posted in another thread I'd be happy to just use the buttons in the FOB but no that does not work.

Maybe redo the set up on the Nav screen.......... IF I find a solution I will post later tonight.

Else I have a big hammer.

Midnight is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SG

Look here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...vers-door.html

I had the same thing happen - in my case it was the module that actually unlatches the door - not the handle. There's a little motor or servo/solenoid inside that I think can bind up and get stuck.... the key and the inner handles are mechanical connections and bypass that motor. There isn't really any "lock" on the front doors, it's just all electronic - whether the car grants you permission and unlatches it or not. If you use the key, it pops the door, it doesn't unlock squat. And the inner handles always pop the latch.

The back doors are like normal cars power locks, they are actual locks. The solenoid pops the lock, and the handle and inner handle are mechanical connections to the latch.

I was able to lubercate my driver's door latch module and it seems to have fixed it so far. It's not too hard of a job, but it's a pain since you have to get inside the door. The module IIRC contains the latch itself, so it's all right there, you can get it off by removing the bolts by the latch (again going by memory). I just pulled the cover just enough to squirt a bunch of white lithium grease in it, and it worked. Your mileage may vary. Good luck! You can also probably order a replacement.

Thanks Midnight......... I'll check that out. The spare fob and disconnecting the battery did nothing. Yes I think it a mechanical problem. Just, like the farting noise in the A/C recycle unit. A little lube may work. Think I'll start off with some door lock lube that you spray into the key hole........never know. Hate to pull off the door trim.

thanks Midnight,, also Greg00coupe ,, keep me posted on what you actually find to be the problem,,I went to a couple of websites looking at what parts are in door,, theres a module also a lock ,a lock cable and a lock rod ,, hard to tell what exactly goes were. the module controls the window lock and mirror,,,,, trial and error on those $150 pass side $100 drivers side

Hang with me on this one......... There is a rubber plug on the inside of the door frame directly beside the lock. I took it out and sprayed in some graphite oil w/o success. I may try again tomorrow. Else I'll take the door skin off. It makes sense that since the red light comes on and the back doors open that the problem is not electronic.

Greg00coupe,,,I'm hanging...lol got my fingers crossed you can find a "cure"...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.