help, front doors won't open - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, help, front doors won't open in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; and most important a thanks to everyone on here that offered their help GO TO PREVIOUS PAGE FOR MY SUMMARY...
    usalimey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts

Re: help, front doors won't open

and most important a thanks to everyone on here that offered their help

GO TO PREVIOUS PAGE FOR MY SUMMARY
    caddyvirgin and caddyvirgin like this.

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Glad to see it worked out. Mine did basically the same thing.......... it started working again on its own. When it acts up again.........and it will. I plan to take apart every connection in the door, inspect, use a good electoral geese and replug the components back together.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Poor geese...

theres 2 micro switches in door handle be hard to clean those off,,about 1/16" diameter spring loaded push switches if u get it that far apart bite the bullet replace the housing,, imho

mannyurrego is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts

take it to the dealer, i was having the same problem but in the rear doors, they fixed, 2008 sts. also getting scare about electricla issues on this particular model.

kreagermags is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Quote Originally Posted by usalimey View Post
    FIXEDOK I started this thread ,, and my problems are solved.... heres what I did and what I found out.....

took drvr side door panel off to check things out,,,, tracked down wire to door handle ,, just that movement and door started working again ,,, BUT not for longbout 3 weeks still nothing on pass. side,,ordered and bought handle base for drvr side, ,,piece that mounts inside door THIS piece has the micro switches in it,, so I remove door panel again and again it works just by messing with wires,, DISCONNECTED ant. that goes to door handle ,,, door still worked so NOT sure what ant. does except maybe range,,, replaced handle base,, its a #itch to do have your local gm mech. run assbly instructions on gm web,I did may still have them if needed . WELL I get it all back together and the door has worked flawlessly for the past 3 months,,, heres a surprise also,,, for whatever reason pass. side door now works

to summarize MY beliefs ... because rear doors unlocked when trying to open frt drs,, my belief the ant. ok the problem is the 2 micro switches in door handle base, possible they get corroded as for the ant. like I said I disconnected mine and it still worked .I Know this is long winded ,, but so many people on here get their stuff fixed and never reply ,, or never ended up asking the dealer when they had it fixed.
    Thanks for summarizing everything. I am having the same problems with my driver's door and found it hard to "find" the solution in this forum. Lot's of suggestions, but few concrete solutions to a problem that I think alot of people are having. I would like to replace everything, but shipping and price of products to Canada is double of what guys pay in the USA (example, $350 for handle antenna at the dealer here, $158 online in USA). Before buying parts I think I'll rip apart everything, grease all connections, reassemble. I hope it works...

Kreager

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Quote Originally Posted by kreagermags View Post
    Thanks for summarizing everything. I am having the same problems with my driver's door and found it hard to "find" the solution in this forum. Lot's of suggestions, but few concrete solutions to a problem that I think alot of people are having. I would like to replace everything, but shipping and price of products to Canada is double of what guys pay in the USA (example, $350 for handle antenna at the dealer here, $158 online in USA). Before buying parts I think I'll rip apart everything, grease all connections, reassemble. I hope it works...

Kreager
    Check out this "how-to" thread. It might answer some of your questions and help you diagnose your issues, or at least eliminate 1 possibility!
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ement-how.html

Good Luck!

Nils Soderman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

My 05 is currently at the dealer for this exact problem, they just called and told me that they reprogrammed it to lock and unlock as i approached the car but i told them that that is not the problem and look again so they have no idea either, i will report back when (if) they fix it, i like the lube theory because it is intermitant and seems to be temperature related.

jaymevb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts4

i'm still not sure which one my problem is. Occasionally, the driver's door won't open unless the handle is pulled repeatedly (10-15 times), opened from the inside, or opened with a key. However, the other three doors will unlock when the driver's door opens. It was just at the dealer (of course it worked fine then) and there were no codes.

is it the handle antenna or the switch?

if it's the handle, why does it work most of the time.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Does the passenger door work reliably? Does it work more reliably with the other Fob?

A bad switch, actuator or antenna can all cause the issue you describe. There's a very good thread (2 parts) with full testing & repair. Dig back a couple pages.

Marlin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

Yea the STS I am working on the Pass door will sometimes open and sometimes not. If I lift the handle without the fob the red light will light up so I know it can see I am pulling the handle. But when unlocked or the drivers door is opened the Pass will not open, but the 2 rear will.

So the most common issue is the 19120307 handle/switch for this?

Thanks

I'm back

well the drivers door like I posted is fixed ,,

passenger door worked for whatever reason after fixing drivers door ,, but only for a few weeks (believe temperature change is the problem)

so I ordered new base for pass. door handle and replaced it ,, its been 6 months since I replaced base and 9 months since replacing base on drivers door handle they both work flawlessly

TO RECAP....if your door doesn't "pop" when you pull handle ,, and you hear rear doors unlock ,, in my case it proved to be" door handle base" like I said in previous post door worked with the antenna

disconnected ,,

both door handles exposed to same amount of weather , hence same amount of corrosion, hope this helps and like I said get the sheet from a gm tech on how to remove and replace door handle ,, its a $itch

aung03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Hello STS owners,

I am going through all of the postings above and still confused on what part to purchase for my Driver Side Door.

Scope of Problem: Driver Side Door does not open when I use FOB or by pulling on handle. All other 3 doors unlocks and opens when the Driver Side Handle is pulled or Unlock with FOB....flawlessly. The only way I can enter my car is by using a Key or having my girlfriend pull the inside handle from the passenger side, which as you can imagine is sort of embarrassing.

Do I need to order a new Handle, LOCK ACTUATOR or other? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by aung03
    Hello STS owners,

I am going through all of the postings above and still confused on what part to purchase for my Driver Side Door.

Scope of Problem: Driver Side Door does not open when I use FOB or by pulling on handle. All other 3 doors unlocks and opens when the Driver Side Handle is pulled or Unlock with FOB....flawlessly. The only way I can enter my car is by using a Key or having my girlfriend pull the inside handle from the passenger side, which as you can imagine is sort of embarrassing.

Do I need to order a new Handle, LOCK ACTUATOR or other? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you
    If you read my posts ,and your problem does sound the same IMO the part you need is NOT the handle Or the Actuator,,, YOU NEED THE HANDLE BASE ,its the part that's inside the door that has micro switches in it ,,,like I said read my posts ,,I started thread and pretty much solved my problem ,,I listed all the things it did and didn't do along with what I did to fix it ,how hard it is to remove,etc ,pm me with any questions if you wish

ABQDon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

After reading all of the posts, I decided to try the cheapest option first. I ran down to the Auto Parts Store and got an $8 can of electrical contact cleaner. Similar to a can of WD40 with the hose you attach to the nozzle. I put a little squirt into two places (the gap when you pull on the door handle toward the rear of the car and removed the rubber cap in the door frame at about the same height as the handle). Problem solved. Now works every time.

One other note, when it wasn't working, I could hear a "beep" inside the car, so I knew the switch was being sensed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.