help, front doors won't open - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, help, front doors won't open in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ewill need your help again! Passenger door is totally dead from the outside now. Outside handle does nothing when locked ...
    AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Re: help, front doors won't open

ewill need your help again!

Passenger door is totally dead from the outside now. Outside handle does nothing when locked or unlocked with key FOB, handle does not unlock back doors or driver door when pulled. The red light does come on when the system is locked from the keyfob but one interesting thing I found is that if I lock the car from the fob (both driver and pass light up red for 5 seconds if i leave it long enough) then hit unlock right away the driver door will kill the red light and put the interior lights on but the passenger door still shows a red light for the remaining part of 5 seconds. No way to open the door from the outside. Going to pull the panel off and see if I can check the electronics with the info posted here but if you happen to know the answer you may save me a few hours work Still pointing at the handle for that issue?

Also wondering if you can help with this one... trunk release... took my car to the dealer one day, they put the valet switch on for some reason. Before I dropped the vehicle off, never had an issue with the truck release from the outside handle or the key fob. Ever since I flipped the switch back off, I have not been able to use the trunk release handle from the outside, but the key fob will pop the trunk. When you push the button on the handle, you can hear a relay click underneath the rear shelf but no action from the release. Replaced the handle/button thinking it was up, no change. Any ideas? This is with both my '05 #2 fob before I had my 2 #1 & #2 '08 style fobs.

Thanks for the help as always Rippy looks like I finally need some parts, I'll be in touch soon.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Well it has been a while since I have messed with one but I would still say that if you pull the handle and there is no response from the car it doesn't know you are pulling the handle. That would mean the switch on the handle base is bad. If the vehicle responds but just won't open the door (red light) then it would be an antenna issue.
    If I understand you correctly you are saying that even after a key fob unlock press X2 (first one is driver, 2nd is all doors) that the pass front door will still not open.
    To me it sounds like the switch in the handle, not the outside handle itself.
    Being able to see codes and data would really clear it up for you but....

As far as the trunk goes, I have not seen that issue but why was the dealer working on it?
    Refresh my memory as to where the valet switch is located? Is it in the glove box and did they do something behind the glove box?
    If so then perhaps they disconnected the valet switch and the computer can't see that it is deactivated?
    Otherwise I'd have to think about it more.

Didn't get a chance to pull the panel off yet, ran into a few other glitches this weekend.

Vehicle doesn't respond from the passenger side, doesn't unlock drivers door or pop its own door. If I push the key fob unlock x2, nothing changes, no response. Unfortunately no GM Tech II near me, but I may just replace the switch and the handle since I was having issues with what we believed was the antenna last year.

Dealer actually had no reason to touch the glove box or the valet switch (Yes valet switch is in the glove box when you open, top left corner). The only thing I can think of is they messed something up when they did a warranty on my head unit, but the glove box doesn't need to come out for the CD changer to be replaced so I really have no idea why it all of the sudden stopped working after they had it. The computer still activates and deactivates the valet mode (prevents stereo changes, trunk opening with fobs or inside button) so I believe it is still connected and being monitored.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Be sure the remote has a good battery. CR2032, you can get them anywhere almost.

Both remotes brand new battery's when programmed approx 6 months ago

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

6 month battery life would be less than expected but not all that unusual. If you're getting no response, replace the battery. If you're penny-pinching, try the new battery in each fob before concluding it's something else.

No response from driver or passenger side I would give battery a try but perfect response from driver side and no response from passenger door is not a battery issue, especially when the key fob is on the drivers side or in the drivers seat beside the antenna and the passenger door isn't working.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Sorry. I thought you wrote no response from either side with either fob.

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

ewill3rd, do you have a part number for the drivers side inside switch?

EDIT: Never mind, I called around and found it. 19120306. Lowest price I found online is $77.75 delivered.

Mine went out this past Sunday. I had a snafu on Friday, for the first time, where the door wouldn't open with the first few tries. Saturday, the wife used it all day showing homes to clients (she absolutely loves the feature because that is one important key that she no longer has to fumble with when dealing with combo codes, access cards and other keys to access homes on the market) and it worked flawlessly. Neither of us carried the door key with us, just the fob, and thankfully when it decided to quit it was in the garage.

Since it has the old stylefob w/o the hidden key, either one of us could have been S.O.L. had it happened while away from the key which stayed at home.

Just a word of warning, or rather what I think is a good suggestion to all that don't have the key attached to the fob... you could get caught without access should they both fail simultaneously, or if only one door works and you depend on only the drivers door for passive entry. Without the key...

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Neutrocuted,

If it was you that I just talked to I can offer a better price than I quoted on the phone. You didn't mention that you had found us on the forums, so I quoted you list price.

That said, I can't really beat that other price you found. (Including shipping my best price would be a few dollars more, like $82)

~Chris
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Neutrocuted is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 N* 1SF HUD ACC F55 - 2008 CTS 3.6DI Premium

Chris,

Wish I had known that all I needed was to let you know I was a forum member. I would have paid a few bucks more simply due to the courteous help I received from you and the help you guys there give to forum members. For my future parts needs I will be going to Rippy.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Jerry

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I almost asked you if you found us on the forums when you said you were calling from out of state.

Oh well... Don't worry about it (it's not like it was a huge sale or anything)...

catch you around,
    Chris
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Damn electronics, door has been working fine now for 2 weeks.

Bikedude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

My 05 with 35K miles is going in on Wed. for this. Can't open Driver's door excecpt with key. Pass side works passivly. From reading these posts, I believe it's related to drivers side antenna, or door handle. I know I'm going to pay though, since car is out of warr.

usalimey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts

FIXEDOK I started this thread ,, and my problems are solved.... heres what I did and what I found out.....

took drvr side door panel off to check things out,,,, tracked down wire to door handle ,, just that movement and door started working again ,,, BUT not for longbout 3 weeks still nothing on pass. side,,ordered and bought handle base for drvr side, ,,piece that mounts inside door THIS piece has the micro switches in it,, so I remove door panel again and again it works just by messing with wires,, DISCONNECTED ant. that goes to door handle ,,, door still worked so NOT sure what ant. does except maybe range,,, replaced handle base,, its a #itch to do have your local gm mech. run assbly instructions on gm web,I did may still have them if needed . WELL I get it all back together and the door has worked flawlessly for the past 3 months,,, heres a surprise also,,, for whatever reason pass. side door now works

to summarize MY beliefs ... because rear doors unlocked when trying to open frt drs,, my belief the ant. ok the problem is the 2 micro switches in door handle base, possible they get corroded as for the ant. like I said I disconnected mine and it still worked .I Know this is long winded ,, but so many people on here get their stuff fixed and never reply ,, or never ended up asking the dealer when they had it fixed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.