help, front doors won't open - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, help, front doors won't open in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; yeah, he's got a 2008 also i noticed though too...
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: help, front doors won't open

yeah, he's got a 2008 also i noticed though too
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Dennis, just put "ewill" somewhere in your post in the DTS area and I will find it.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

So I have the same issues and am seeing the parts you are posting but have an issue... mine are all sporadic, they will give me crap for a half hour, then I will come out and it will work, hop in and drive to pick up the wife, doesn't work all night long on and off sometimes once sometimes 2-3 times, next day i dont drive anyone normally (funny how that works) but sometimes i do, normally works again. Doesn't sound like low voltage to me as sometimes i try with the vehicle running as well. Normally when it is not working I can pull the handle, red light triggers, all other doors unlock but door will not "pop". Keep pulling continously and sometimes I will get a a half ass "pop" and it will catch the latch until another 3-8 trys gets it open.

Does this sound like the handle/signal to you?
    Do you know what the proper voltage/amp rating (alternator output as well as battery) by any chance? 2005 STS V6

Having other electrical issues such as lights on steering wheel won't work some days, other days they do, when they are choosing which day to work, the drivers door lock buttons light follow opposite (but buttons pyshically work still).
    Driver seat heater on alone, nice and hot, passenger seat heat always hot, both on at same time = drivers heat takes 3x longer to heat up.
    Also have tons of ABS/TCS/Stability control/Airbag warnings, sometimes over bumps, sometimes on smooth roads, sometimes before car is even shifted into gear.

Unfortunatly I do not trust my GM dealer after they eff'd my front bumper up and I took it in for quite a few issues that never got resolved before warranty. No one around here that I have found yet has a proper GM Tech II to scan all the ECU/BCM's and tell me exactly what is happening If only there was a cheap Tech II alternative.

EDIT: thanks

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Yes it sounds like a handle issue.
    Not sure what you mean about the charging system. With it running anything 13 Volts and up should be fine.
    The backlighting in the switches is likely going to need new switches, not uncommon and they don't service the "bulbs".
    Not sure about the seat heater issue, they aren't intertwined enough to affect eachother.

Steering wheel position sensors are the "weak link" on the stability system but you have to start with code checking and go from there.

You could have some grounding issues but that would take some serious schematic checking and maybe even road testing.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Yes it sounds like a handle issue.
    Not sure what you mean about the charging system. With it running anything 13 Volts and up should be fine.
    The backlighting in the switches is likely going to need new switches, not uncommon and they don't service the "bulbs".
    Not sure about the seat heater issue, they aren't intertwined enough to affect eachother.

Steering wheel position sensors are the "weak link" on the stability system but you have to start with code checking and go from there.

You could have some grounding issues but that would take some serious schematic checking and maybe even road testing.
    Thanks very much for the tech info I will get some new handles and go from there, are you able to look up proper part #'s by any chance?

Thanks for the info on everything, seat heater and lights are on the back burner (unless you know if a 07 Steering wheel trim with different buttons will work on an 05 STS?)

I will get it scanned with a Tech II and go from there, seems like to many variables to throw parts at (4 wheel speed/ABS sensors, TC sensors, steering angle sensors etc.. etc..)

i can look up part numbers, but i'd rather do so with a VIN and not just a year+make+model ... makes it much easier for me and accurate too
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    i can look up part numbers, but i'd rather do so with a VIN and not just a year+make+model ... makes it much easier for me and accurate too
    Ok
    VIN: 1G6DW677350221723

Thanks for your help!

LH #19121210 - $158.15 (list price) - your price $117.50 (in stock)
    RH #19121211 - $168.31 (list price) - your price $125.00 (1-2 days away)

They come unpainted & need to be painted to match.

Thanks What dealer are you with?

find my sig (if you've got them turned off i think you can see them in my profile)

Rippy Cadillac (ad cube over here)----------------------------------------------->

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

So as an update...... over the weekend everything started to work again!!!! Wonder how long that will last?!?!? Wonder why for 3 months I had to use a key to get in and now the FOB and related system works??? Could it be the cold Ohio weather? Maybe the can of WD40 I sprayed in there when I pulled off the panel??? Naw!!! Maybe it's the Xmas CDs I'm playing. What electronic gawd or gremlin is messing with me????

Well anyways until I can get it coded and see what the camputers have to tell me I will go with the flow. So glad the remote start has always worked along with the heated seats and steering wheel....... winter is coming too soon.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Electrical contacts often work better when cold. Most corrosion is caused by water and freesing a damp connector can tighten the contacts.

You might separate & dry all connectors and reassemble using di-electric grease. It can't hurt as long as you're careful not to bend a pin.

So are you talking about all the conectors in the door panel or should I be looking at other connectors? I know on a Corvette they focus on the main frame ground whenever there is an electrical problem.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I was thinking of the door because it is the most susceptable to moisture. But you are right. Most problems are traced to ground.

Thanks for all your help.... at this point I hope it does not return at least until spring. I do have a heated garage at home and work so who knows how much a factor the cold is. It's been in the 20s and 30s so not that cold yet. But I think it has to be a connector or ground. On the electronic components relays and the like there's nothing mechanical so they either work or don't from what I understand.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.