help, front doors won't open - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, help, front doors won't open in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; "greg,, so the only door that you can't open from the outside is the drivers door? both my front doors ...
    Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Re: help, front doors won't open

"greg,, so the only door that you can't open from the outside is the drivers door? both my front doors don't work,, first was the pass.. then the drivers"

My passenger door does not work off the passive system. It will open if I hit the FOB unlock button or pull the drivers door handle; The drivers door will not open unless I use the key.

My drivers door does not work off the passive system OR hitting the unlock on the FOB..... but as yours does when I lift the handle the other 3 doors open.

The red lights work as they always have. So on the left side I think the antenna is picking us the FOB but the relay is not opening the drivers door. On the right side the antenna is out would be my conclusion.

Looking at the cost of parts it's not that expensive to get 2 door handles and 2 relays. Maybe $350. Since I need my bumper painted anyway that may be the way to go. However I just am not in mood to pull it all apart right now. AND If I replaced everything out I would hope the new stuff was of a better design....... but no I'm sure it the poor results that got us where we are at and will repeat down the road. GM never learns and fixes sub par designs.

D&Ds_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS-V

One of the symptoms when our '06 went insane a few weeks ago was the front doors would not open when using the fobs, but back doors unlocked on second press of unlock button. Fronts doors still would not open with both back doors open. Apparently the front door receivers went to sleep. Only problem found was a bad car battery. Been working fine since.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...rt-ii-bad.html

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I swear - Believe what EWill3rd states. He sees more STS problems than most and he shares the facts as he sees them.

The Keyless Entry is is no where near the most complicated system on this car. Yeesh!

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Okay let me preface by saying it is really hard to diagnose cars over the internet.
    If I had the cars here I could tell you what was wrong with them in about ten minutes. (okay mabye a bit longer)
    I will post images here of the inside handle and outside handle and explain some things and you guys just have to take it from there.

The inside handle is serviced separately nad has a switch that tells the computer when the handle is being pulled. If the car won't respond to the handle at all then it is likely this piece.

The outside handle has the antenna inside of it, if you pull the handle and something happens but the door you are tugging on won't open it is likely this.

In the shop I can check things with the scan tool, like see if the computer knows when the handle is pulled, check for antenna codes and a few other things. Most of what I have seen fail is the outside handles, but that doesn't mean that is all that can be wrong. There is wiring, possible module issues, and the like.

Most of what I see, as I said indicates handle problems.
    Ludacrisvp and Ludacrisvp like this.

D&Ds_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I swear - Believe what EWill3rd states. He sees more STS problems than most and he shares the facts as he sees them.

The Keyless Entry is is no where near the most complicated system on this car. Yeesh!
    I absolutely agree, ewill3rd's post are helpful and accurate.

You got a problem with me advising OP that there is a possibility his system is insane? It is a processor driven system, and it can go nuts. Mine did. According to the dealer tech, my problems were resolved by replacing the car battery. Seems to me it would makes sense to rule that out before tearing the effing door apart.

These vehicles are particularly prone to low voltage freak outs.
    If the battery goes low on one of these it causes major issues because the entry systems are all electronic and activating several solenoids and relays even for vehicle entry can cause low voltage which in turn causes massive electrical turmoil.

Nothing wrong with suggeting a good check of the battery.
    Usually something else will crop up as a symptom, but it is a good idea not to overlook the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by D&Ds_STS View Post
    You got a problem with me advising OP that there is a possibility his system is insane?
    Absolutely no problem here. Even my wife's '98 STS had 'senior moments' with its electronics. Please accept my apology if I offended.

If the battery tests good under load (not exactly what was reported) and the system reset didn't help, I feel like one or more bad components are involved. It sounded to me like good advice was being discounted. That is always an owner's perogative but when an expert offers advice, I listen.

Dennis Viscusi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS, 2000 sedan

Can someone explain the antenna mechanism in the outer handle and how it causes the respective system failure?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i'm pretty sure it was explained above... what are you unclear about?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

How does the antenna convey its signal? Is everything wireless? Also, I am trying to replace the passenger power door lock actuator. Can you supply any diagrams and/or directions describing the final stages of this job? Does the entire hard plastic liner that resides between the inner door panel and the steel framework of the door have to be removed in order to gain sufficient clearance to replace the part? Is there a method for removing the white plastic retainers (without destroying them) that hold the hard plastic liner in place? Do the three painted screws (accessible from the outside of the door above the latch mechanism) need to be completely removed? I ask this question because the screw closest to the outside door handle is stripped. Any help that you may offer is much appreciated.

Dennis, what kind of car do you have?
    A DTS would be totally different.

There are several antennas on the STS, they work together to triangulate the actual position of the transmitter. If one or more antennas cannot work then it eliminates the car's ability to locate the fob. The handle is basically a short range sensor that looks for the transmitter within 2 feet of itself. If it doesn't get a response then the door won't open.
    It is actually a pretty impressive system when it works the way it ws designed.

The STS doesn't have a "lock actuator" in the traditional sense. It is just a computer operated latch and I haven't had one fail yet.

ewill3rd, I am sorry. It appears that I am in the wrong place. As you can see, I am new to this website and quite truthfully this is my first shot at any internet discussion. I am a poor typist and thought that I entered a thread about my wife's car, a 2000 DeVille. Obviously, I got off track somehow. Again, I apologize and will attempt to find the correct place to ask my question. Any suggestions about getting to the correct place? I have enjoyed reading your posts. You sound extremely knowledgable. Any opinion on my predicament?

Ah! Now it makes more sense. Good luck Dennis. I'm confident the DTS guys can help.

Cadillac DTS Forum

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

that's actually the 2006+ forum for DTS

for his wife's 2000 Deville he'll want to go to the past vehicles Deville forum (1985-2005)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Oops! Where's that smiley to kick one's own ass?

Close enough!
    mIAn likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.