Catalytic Converter Recall (2005 V8)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Catalytic Converter Recall (2005 V8) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just received a recall letter in the mail from GM. They warn of premature failure of the catalytic converter ...
    amgqmp1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8 RWD

Catalytic Converter Recall (2005 V8)

I just received a recall letter in the mail from GM. They warn of premature failure of the catalytic converter being a possibility. Anyone else get the same letter?

Ever since I hit 25K miles a few weeks ago it feels like the thing is falling apart. I just had one of those stupid small headlight bulbs go out too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

Re: Catalytic Converter Recall (2005 V8)

I need one (letter) since I have a catalytic convertor low effiency bank 2 check engine light that comes on for a week and then goes off for a week and then repeats itself over and over and over. I think I'm getting tired of my Caddy.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Emission Control Warranty is 80,000 miles in the US. I'd love to see such a letter. Can you upload a scan?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

This is a "special policy" that covers V8 SRX 04-05 and STS 05 for 12 years or 200,000 miles.
    If this special policy applies to your vehicle and you have codes that indicate a catalyst failure it will be replaced at no cost.

Everytime that my CEL comes on and I make an appointment to have it looked at the CEL clears and once it clears there is nothing the dealer can do for me, I just have to play yo-yo and hope that I can get it to the dealer when the CEL is on.

bbshriver is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

I've got over 60k miles on mine, haven't received any letter.

But I've got 2 recall stickers in the engine bay... no idea what they are for.

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by caddyfat2 View Post
    I need one (letter) since I have a catalytic convertor low effiency bank 2 check engine light that comes on for a week and then goes off for a week and then repeats itself over and over and over. I think I'm getting tired of my Caddy.
    I just got back from the dealer because of this same exact problem. It took them a week to get the converter since it was a "special order" part. That light better not come back on. I have 6 days left on my warranty.. WEEEEE!!

Angus Young is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2 Cadillac STS 1SG W/NAV

Could someone upload this letter, I have had codes P420 & P430 on my 05 STS 1SG for quite some time now, the dealer wants $1900.00 to replace both Cats.

Thanxx in Advance !!!

amgqmp1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8 RWD

Here's the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

The ironic thing is that the catalytic converter on my winter 4X4 ('90 Jeep Cherokee w/199K miles) just clogged up a couple weeks ago. I don't have any reason to suspect a problem with my Caddy at this point. It runs wonderfully and the gas mileage is fine too. I'll keep the letter around though... ;-)

The dealer could replace the cat on a history code, it's dumb to think that a cat will be fine if it failed more than once.

I might be able to copy the text later on, but remember this has to show up on GMVIS (which is now referred to as "investigate vehicle history") before they can do it but it should apply to all the vehicles I listed above.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by blunted View Post
    I just got back from the dealer because of this same exact problem. It took them a week to get the converter since it was a "special order" part. That light better not come back on. I have 6 days left on my warranty.. WEEEEE!!
    Not to worry. A problem reported under warranty establishes your claim regardless. Drive it like you stole it.

lreddiablo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I wonder if this has been the trouble I've been having, ever since about 30k miles I guess. I had a post earlier that my CIL would come on, but just before I would notice a decrease in power. The codes I got were talking about camshaft sensor 2 malfunction. got a 05 V8 STS4. Think I will take it back and show them this letter, last time they said they just reprogramed the comp

Quote Originally Posted by lreddiablo View Post
    The codes I got were talking about camshaft sensor 2 malfunction. got a 05 V8 STS4. Think I will take it back and show them this letter, last time they said they just reprogramed the comp
    I thought it was for the catalytic converter malfunctions or does it include the camshaft too.

The N* camshaft sensors are not what I would call "robust". They do fail.
    This is only an issue if the vehicle turns on the CEL (MIL) for a P0420 or P0430 DTC.

lreddiablo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Guess it may be a seperate issue then. I was pulling several codes before but the code I have down is P0390. Just get same symtom, car seems to lose power then CIL comes on. Goes off a couple days later, then comes back again a few days after that

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.