Catalytic Converter Recall (2005 V8) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Catalytic Converter Recall (2005 V8) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had a cat replaced on my V6 at 40K something miles on the clock. Free of charge. My car ...
    LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

Re: Catalytic Converter Recall (2005 V8)

I had a cat replaced on my V6 at 40K something miles on the clock. Free of charge.

My car just ran like crap one day and that was why.

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

Quote Originally Posted by lreddiablo View Post
    Guess it may be a seperate issue then. I was pulling several codes before but the code I have down is P0390. Just get same symtom, car seems to lose power then CIL comes on. Goes off a couple days later, then comes back again a few days after that
    Does anyone know what code P0390 is ?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Quote Originally Posted by caddyfat2 View Post
    Does anyone know what code P0390 is ?
    DTC P0365 or P0390
    Circuit Description
    The exhaust camshaft position (CMP) sensor is a hall integrated circuit (IC) type sensor that works in conjunction with a single tooth reluctor wheel used to determine the position of the exhaust camshaft. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a 12-volt pull up voltage on the CMP sensor signal circuit. As the tooth on the reluctor wheel passes the CMP sensor, it sends a digital signal which is an image of the reluctor wheel to the ECM. The ECM processes this information to determine the exact position of the camshafts, and to determine the optimum ignition and injection points of the engine. The CMP sensor wiring consists of a 12-volt reference circuit, a low reference circuit, and a signal circuit. If the ECM cannot see a change in the exhaust CMP sensor signal, DTC P0365 or P0390 will set.

DTC Descriptors
    This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTCs:
    • DTC P0365 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Bank 1
    • DTC P0390 Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Bank 2

Conditions for Running the DTC
    • The engine is running.
    • DTC P0365 or P0390 runs continuously once the above condition is met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
    The ECM does not detect a signal from the exhaust CMP sensor for more than 1 second
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Quote Originally Posted by lreddiablo View Post
    I wonder if this has been the trouble I've been having, ever since about 30k miles I guess. I had a post earlier that my CIL would come on, but just before I would notice a decrease in power. The codes I got were talking about camshaft sensor 2 malfunction. got a 05 V8 STS4. Think I will take it back and show them this letter, last time they said they just reprogramed the comp

Unplug each one of the four CPS sensors one at a time, apply some silicone grease, and then plug/unplug each one a few times to clean the contact surfaces.

They're right out in the open, easy to get to, and will cure most intermittent CPS codes...

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    Unplug each one of the four CPS sensors one at a time, apply some silicone grease, and then plug/unplug each one a few times to clean the contact surfaces.

They're right out in the open, easy to get to, and will cure most intermittent CPS codes...
    I believe you mean dielectric grease. Silicon isn't bad but is not a conductor; dielectric grease is.

(You can't keep Lucas electronics in British cars working right without it. It's the only grease that doesn't leak out of my Triumph!)

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The sensors have one bolt that hold them on, move the sensor to another location (they are all the same) and if the code changes, you have your bad sensor.

There are hundreds of things that can turn on the check engine light (MIL).
    The V6 cats are totally different than the V8 cats.

BaTu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 STS4

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I believe you mean dielectric grease. Silicon isn't bad but is not a conductor; dielectric grease is.

I'm not sure that's right......

No grease is really a conductor, in fact, the term "dielectric" actually means it acts as an electrical insulator (as in dielectric unions for plumbing)

I know what you mean though,,, it's counter intuitive to think about putting something between to conductors and Not having it interfere with the transfer The first time I used something like No-Ox dielectric grease on an aluminum wire to feed the whole house, or on my battery connections (and here I've used Any grease, petro, moly, synthetic) I too was concerned.

I think the purpose of greasing a connection is simply to prevent the elements from causing corrosion, sealing the connection. I can only assume that what's left, in a tightened connector, has little effect on the connection.

It doesn't seem right to me either though,,,,

it's Dielectric Silicone Grease GM#12345579

I think the idea is to insulate the connection and protect against corrosion etc ...

on the back of the tube it says this
    This product is designed to coat the inside of spark plug boots to prevent them from sticking to ceramic insulators. it also retards corrosion by improving boot seal.
    and of course there's more uses than for spark plug boots
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

lreddiablo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Well I'm just gonna take it to the dealer, got a little warranty left. Tell them to make sure to actually check out the sensors this time and not just reflash the computer. BTW just got that catalytic converter letter

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

I just received one of these letters today as well saying the warranty on the cat had been extended to 12 years or 200K miles
    It included a reimbursement form if I had had to pay for the repair out of my pocket in the past

Interesting

Warren

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Given the cost of this repair, a 2005 in good condition could be a better deal than some newer ones. I wonder how long the cat's came from that supplier. The forum does contain more reports of bad cats than I would have expected. My '93 Roadmaster still ran fine on the original exhaust & cats (gotta love stainless) after 12 years and 225,000 miles.

Hijack alert!

Are the older STS's better?

I'm not convinced the 6-speed trans is much of a performance improvement; mileage - yes, not sure otherwise. My 2006 downshifts less often than my wife's 2007 under similar driving (but also has lower gearing).

I'm not prepared to say that the 5-speed is better but it is different. For example, it has a selection of '4' so that it never shifts up to 5th. With the 6-speed, you have to go to full manual control to get the same effect.

Angus Young is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2 Cadillac STS 1SG W/NAV

Had my cats replaced yesterday, no more CEL and got my remote start back. The dealer didnt know of this recall yet. Life is Good!!

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Given the cost of this repair, a 2005 in good condition could be a better deal than some newer ones. I wonder how long the cat's came from that supplier. The forum does contain more reports of bad cats than I would have expected. My '93 Roadmaster still ran fine on the original exhaust & cats (gotta love stainless) after 12 years and 225,000 miles.

Hijack alert!

Are the older STS's better?

I'm not convinced the 6-speed trans is much of a performance improvement; mileage - yes, not sure otherwise. My 2006 downshifts less often than my wife's 2007 under similar driving (but also has lower gearing).

I'm not prepared to say that the 5-speed is better but it is different. For example, it has a selection of '4' so that it never shifts up to 5th. With the 6-speed, you have to go to full manual control to get the same effect.
    To me a mileage improvement would be enough of a reason to have it
    Plus I guess there could see some added longevity...is the motor turning less RPM at 70?

Warren

brjndr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This thread just saved me $2400 the dealer quoted to have my catalytic converters replaced. I called him with about the recall notice and now it's no charge. Thank you guys so much.

so.... a supporting membership is in your future?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.