Steering Wheel Rocking Side to Side
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Steering Wheel Rocking Side to Side in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; If you grab the steering wheel at 9 and 3 and move it laterally the wheel will move a 1/4 ...
    Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Angry Steering Wheel Rocking Side to Side

If you grab the steering wheel at 9 and 3 and move it laterally the wheel will move a 1/4 to 5/16 of an inch, back and forth, door to door. The dealer is saying this is normal, but I find it hard to believe. Does anyone else's steering wheel do this? I am getting ready to go pick up the car from the dealer, and have a feeling that I am going to have a knock down drag out fight with the dealer and Cadillac Customer Service over this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Steering Wheel Rocking Side to Side

Well, after a long coversation with the service manager they have agreed to replace the steering column. However, all the used and new STS' on the lot an '06,'07, and '10 have varying degrees of lateral play in the column. Rather disappointing. The '10 was the best of course and the '06 and '07 about equal. None of them had as much as my '08 does (you can move it latterally with 2 fingers and very little side to side pressure).
    I would think as hard as Cadillac has worked to be a viable world class player in the luxury car market this would have been addressed a long time ago. The service manager even said there have been several complaints about this issue at their dealership. They have to order the column from Lansing, so hopefully it will be fully resolved by the end of next week.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Weird. One would have assumed it was just a couple rack bushings.

knappy75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS V8

Mine does the same thing-07 with 27k miles. Enough play to make me think "that's not right". I don't see that as normal. I have to bring mine in for warranty work on the stupid change/lighter drawer at the bottom of the console, so I am just adding up things before I take it in. You're not alone-FYI.

Well Jesda, when I first brought it in for this problem (3 times so far) they did replace the rack on the car, that was about the 35,000 mile mark. That helped some for a while, but I kept telling them it doesn't feel like the rack, it feels like it is in the column. The second time I took it to the dealer, their suspension guy brought me back to the shop area and showed me everything under the front end was tight, and I got the dreaded 'cannot duplicate customer complaint'. They agreed this time to replace the column because they wanted to make me a happy customer, but said they didn't believe it would solve the problem. I do hope it makes the looseness better. I really like the car and plan on keeping it about 3 more years. It's my 5th STS ('92, '94, '96, '99, '08) and an Eldo '93. I really love Caddy's, and the '08 over all is by far the best, but if this doesn't fix the issue (at least somewhat) I will probably have to trade it off. It's just one of those things that drive me nuts.

M.A.C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-V8

I have the same thing--grab steering wheel at 3 and 9 and I can rock it ever so slightly but not 1/4 to 5/16". I'm thinking there shouldn't be any play but it's not enough at this point to make it a problem. The only time I feel play is if I deliberately try to rock it back and forth. My initial thought is that the steering wheel nut is not torqued enough.

Well, M.A.C to be honest being able to move the wheel back and forth physically (although it shouldn't move at all) isn't that much of a problem with me. The real issue is that it moves on its own when ever you are turning the wheel and going over an uneven surface, like going into a driveway. Even making a left turn on a smooth surface from stopped will make the wheel move and bump. Doesn't instill a feeling of confidence. I was thinking it may be the nut or the bearings aren't pressed correctly onto the shaft.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.C View Post
    I have the same thing--grab steering wheel at 3 and 9 and I can rock it ever so slightly but not 1/4 to 5/16". I'm thinking there shouldn't be any play but it's not enough at this point to make it a problem. The only time I feel play is if I deliberately try to rock it back and forth. My initial thought is that the steering wheel nut is not torqued enough.
    Mine is same as MAC, I can move it but not 1/4". I get the slightest movement, its annoying but isn't causing steering issues and plan on selling the car. I tried to get the dealer to look at it and got the same runaround BS before it came off warranty.

M.A.C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-V8

I have to amend what I said in my first post because today I checked my steering wheel and I was able to slightly move it at 12 and 6 o'clock when steering straight, not 9 and 3. I don't know if this means anything different, but 9 and 3 seems solid.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I've got the NV7 RPO (ZF steering option) and have virtually no play at all at ~ 65,000 miles.

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

have an 08 and I just checked it. Rock solid. No play whatsoever. 34K miles.
    I IMHO there should not be any play. That would drive me nuts also.

stevzCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 STS4 V8

I found this old thread by searching. I have the same problem on my 08 STS. Steering seems fine, but there's a slight lateral movement of the wheel at 9 and 3, that I feel especially when turning. I was told by the dealer that this is normal and everything underneath was tight. It sure doesn't feel right to me. Very annoying. Anyone have further info re this issue?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.