2005 STS Navigation is horrible, or maybe its me?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, 2005 STS Navigation is horrible, or maybe its me? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay, I admit I have only had my STS for a very short period of time and I absolutely love ...
    Joe V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2005 STS Navigation is horrible, or maybe its me?

Okay, I admit I have only had my STS for a very short period of time and I absolutely love the ride, power (I have the 3.6 but it is more than adequate and I got over 30 MPG on the highway the other day according to the computer). The techno gadgetry is great except when it does not work!! Voice commands??? Forget it! Nav??? My $50 GPS is smarter! I was two blocks from my house and all I needed to do is make a quick left and a right -then two houses from the corner, and it wants to send me a mile up the road to turn around! No, the street was not a new one and it has been there for years! Such a shame. Having nav built into the dash is very cool especially if it worked! My $50 gps has text to speech and this does not!!

My question is, I am told there is a software update for this system (not the map update).

- Is there an update and does it make the NAV usable or at least almost work?
    - Does anyone here know where I can get a copy of the firmware/software update disk? The dealer wants over $250 to pop the disk in and hit some buttons. They are supposedly the only ones that have the disk!
    - Has anyone done the update themselves? Is it difficult?

Thanks, maybe one of you can give me hope that I will have a nav system that will do something other than tell you what road you are on and actually give accurate directions!

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: 2005 STS Navigation is horrible, or maybe its me?

gotta get a dealer to install the software update (i think)
    call up a few dealers and ask and see what kind of responses you get and how much they want to charge
    you might be able to do it yourself ( http://gmnavdisc.com will show a software update disc for your car if there is on available - at least it does for me, but i'm logged in as a dealer so...)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Thanks for your reply. I did call GMNAVDISC and they said that all they have is the map update discs and not the software/firmware discs which I have to get installed by the dealer. It seems there are people who actually have the update disc. My question is ...was your experience with the NAV system as bad as mine? Was it better after the update?

i don't have a nav (99 deville)
    i was just speaking from experience, but i do loathe factory nav systems from all manufacturers ... if i ever had one i'd never use it for directions, just the map
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

The software update doesn't make the NAV any easier to use, it is mostly for voice recognition, blue tooth and a few other personalization functions.
    Do you have the seperate NAV manual? It does work, you just have to learn the procedures but it is not what you would call user friendly. It doesn't have text to speech,
    just "turn right in 100 meters" not "turn right on Main Street in 100 meters". I too have a Garmin which I find is nothing short of amazing, but the large screen of the NAV is
    great. Obviously the newer the Map DVD is, the more chance of having newer information regarding roads and POIs. Someone posted a "Cheat Sheat" for this NAV, do a search and
    if you can't find it, I have it somewhere in the bowels of my computer, I think! $250 seems high, like another said, look around at other dealers, some dealers don't even know
    what you're talking about regarding this.
    Doug

Hey Doug,

My concern is not so much that the NAV would be easier to use (I have a degree in Electrical Engineering so I can hopefully figure out the cryptic icons) it is that it should make reasonable route choices rather than send you 2 miles out of your way when you are 2 blocks from the destination! I do understand that the map update would help, but the street it should have chosen was depicted on the map/screen and has been there 50 years! I know portable GPS are usually better than factory but this one is ridiculous! Bluetooth does not always link up so that would be helpful and it would be great to have voice commands that work! Do you know the part number of the update disk? I am hoping to find someone that I can buy/rent/borrow it from. Yes, I realize I bought a cadillac, but I bought it for under $15K! So I would like to avoid the Cadillac dealer which charges you as if you could afford a $50K car! $280 to pop a disc in is a little excessive. IS a regular GM dealer able to do it?

Thanks Again!

Chris, I am told they only have Map updates, would you be able to check on a price for the update disk and let me know?

Thanks

ddavis75007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    gotta get a dealer to install the software update (i think)
    call up a few dealers and ask and see what kind of responses you get and how much they want to charge
    you might be able to do it yourself ( http://gmnavdisc.com will show a software update disc for your car if there is on available - at least it does for me, but i'm logged in as a dealer so...)
    To see if there is a Firmware update, you do have to be logged in as a dealer. Would it be possible for you to see what the latest Firmware release is for a 2009 STS RWD N*? My dealer is computer illiterate.

Thanks,
    Doug Davis

Theislander is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1997 STS

Hi Guys,

I bought a 2005 sts 3.6 two days ago and I've been looking around for the updated Nav disk.Would like to know if there has to be a firmware update.
    Thanks

No [firmware/software] disc update for 2005 STS nav, but there is one for the 2009 STS - there still might be a dealer programming update though for the 2005... check w/ your local dealerships

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

There is a 2010 NAV map update for the 2005 - 2010 STS, It is part number 20861474 and is available from www.gmnavdisc.com for $199.00
    I have a 2005 STS with the 2009 disc, part number 25976806 which is also still available for $199.00, these are both 2 disc sets for East & West US and Canada. I think the maps are the same , only the POIs are different. Sometimes they are on eBay cheaper, make sure of the part numbers.

Doug

mywifekids1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 sts

There is a firmware update for 05 sts you just have to find a dealer that has the firmware update disk their have been treads posted a few months back on this do a firmware update search, this will update voice recognition and bluetooth your other option is to get a updated nav disk as stated in the above tread.My 05 works pretty good with some research and persistance it got the firmware update and I have the 09 nav disk.

i'm sorry ... i'll edit the above post, i was referring to software update discs

Here is my dilemma, I would not mind investing a little time and money into the nav if I thought it would actually yield a something useful!! Get this one. I am at the CORNER of an intersection at a light . I am looking right at the front door of my house which is three houses from the corner. I told the NAV I wanted to go home. IT WANTED ME TO TURN RIGHT (MY HOUSE WAS LEFT) AND DRIVE A HUGE 3 MILE LOOP TO GET TO MY HOUSE WHICH WAS 100 FT AWAY!!! It had my house properly marked on the screen. Oh my God it cannot be this bad! Maybe I have a defective unit? Seriously, there is no way the nav is this pathetic. Is there? If there is some hope, I will keep trying. Otherwise I will buy a $50 portable and stick it on the window ...SIGH. Has anyone had a good experience with 2005 NAV?

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

I have a 2005 and when I first got my STS I felt the same way but after playing with it and constantly using it I now find it much easier to manipulate.Play with the different routes......just play with it everyday and before you know it you will come to like it....really!

how all I need is a lockpick

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.