STS V8 Test Drive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS V8 Test Drive in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had the chance to take a STS V8 out for a test drive today. The STS had the standard ...
    DG2
    DG2 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

STS V8 Test Drive

I had the chance to take a STS V8 out for a test drive today. The STS had the standard suspension and was RWD. I was very impressed. I was able to get the STS right on the highway and soon was crusing at 75mph. The engine is smooth and fast but the most impressive feature on the STS was the interior noise, or lack of ....

The ride was down right " silent". The cabin is a very nice place to take a long ride. Compared with my CTS the width of the STS is welcome. The salesman from Sarant Cadillac on Long Island and I did not have to fight over the arm rest as there was more then enough elbow room.

Overall the feel and ride of the STS compared with the CTC is upgraded several notches. The STS is right there with the M-B E class and the BMW 5 series. Overall the Cadillac is a much more exciting car then either of the two Germans.

The AWD STS is still on hold according to the dealer today. If I trade up the AWD is the one I will hold out for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: STS V8 Test Drive

Sounds great! It should ride smoother than a MB or BMW, hopefully, because the Germans usually have the suspension tuned a little firmer for handling, etc.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Sounds really good!!!!! I hope the STS turns out to be really good......

Eveyone Ive talked to says this about the STS: IF your gonna spend 50k, why would you spend it on a caddy and not a BMW or something.....

PISH POSH!!!!!! The sts is better!

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

I had a chance to get an up-close look at a STS for the first time last night. After dinner, we swung into our local dealer and they had a V8 unit on the lot. It was after hours, so I couldn't get inside, but here are my quick impressions:

- Lower fascia of the front end looks CTS-V-esque, including the tall, mesh-filled lower grille. The upper grille is more like the regular CTS, but in a silver.

- While the front looks like the CTS, the rear looks more like the current Deville.

- The front seats appear to be the same as the CTS. The wider center console and wood trim look great.

My wife liked it, too. She's a bit scared that I may catch the new car bug again, but I'm not going to do anything for at least another year, or so, I suppose...

STSOnly is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv
    I had a chance to get an up-close look at a STS for the first time last night. After dinner, we swung into our local dealer and they had a V8 unit on the lot. It was after hours, so I couldn't get inside, but here are my quick impressions:

- Lower fascia of the front end looks CTS-V-esque, including the tall, mesh-filled lower grille. The upper grille is more like the regular CTS, but in a silver.

- While the front looks like the CTS, the rear looks more like the current Deville.

- The front seats appear to be the same as the CTS. The wider center console and wood trim look great.

My wife liked it, too. She's a bit scared that I may catch the new car bug again, but I'm not going to do anything for at least another year, or so, I suppose...
    Overall, the car looks like a combination of a small 2000-current Deville, an SRX sedan, and a CTS-A (automatic V8) lol. The car is way too small for me and I'm not even 6' lol.

strindl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DG2
    I had the chance to take a STS V8 out for a test drive today. The STS had the standard suspension and was RWD. I was very impressed. I was able to get the STS right on the highway and soon was crusing at 75mph. The engine is smooth and fast but the most impressive feature on the STS was the interior noise, or lack of ....

The ride was down right " silent". The cabin is a very nice place to take a long ride. Compared with my CTS the width of the STS is welcome. The salesman from Sarant Cadillac on Long Island and I did not have to fight over the arm rest as there was more then enough elbow room.

Overall the feel and ride of the STS compared with the CTC is upgraded several notches. The STS is right there with the M-B E class and the BMW 5 series. Overall the Cadillac is a much more exciting car then either of the two Germans.

The AWD STS is still on hold according to the dealer today. If I trade up the AWD is the one I will hold out for.
    You and I are on the same page here. I have a blue chip 04 CTS now, and am lusting after a blue chip AWD STS. I drove a V8 RWD one today, and it does ride real smooth and quiet. I'm goint to spec one out from the brochure and the on line thingy, and see what kind of numbers I come up with.

DG2

Hold on to your hat when you see the loaded AWD STS. We will be spending over $63,000 for this baby ! I am certain the dealers will shave a couple grand off sticker.

I heard that the Lansing plant starts production of the AWD STS on 9-20. This means we should be able to get one around mid November to early December.

Good Luck :coolgleam

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

For those of you considering the STS, have you looked at the SRX?
    More backseat legroom than both the CTS and STS.

DG2

Actually, my wife has the V8 White Diamond SRX. It is our faimly car ( we have 3 young kids) and is hands down the most enjoyable car we have ever had. My wife love's it and she gets stopped by other " soccer mom's" everyday to ask about the SRX.

The reason I want to upgrade my fantastic CTS lux/perf to the new AWD STS is due to the fact that I cannot get my wife to give up the SRX during bad New York winter storms. Plus, I do want her and our kids to have the saftey the SRX AWD provides.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Hmmmmm...
    I think 2 SRX's would look good in your driveway. LOL.

STSgirl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS (1SG) & 2007 Escalde EXT

Quote Originally Posted by b4z
    For those of you considering the STS, have you looked at the SRX?
    More backseat legroom than both the CTS and STS.
    I considered the SRX, but the 3rd row seating is USELESS! Unless you have passanger's without legs It'd be okay for putting infants and child seats, but who'd want to crawl back there every time to get the kid in and out?!

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

I don't think he was including the third row...
    Plenty of room for any one considering an STS.

DG2

Quote Originally Posted by STSgirl
    I considered the SRX, but the 3rd row seating is USELESS! Unless you have passanger's without legs It'd be okay for putting infants and child seats, but who'd want to crawl back there every time to get the kid in and out?!

Actually, the third row is perfect for kids out of the car seat. I have twin 6 year olds and a 9 year old and when their friends come along in the SRX that third row is priceless.

DG2

Quote Originally Posted by b4z
    Hmmmmm...
    I think 2 SRX's would look good in your driveway. LOL.
    The thought did cross my mind. But that AWD STS might be just right !

John Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My Test Drive

Had the opp to test drive a V8 RWD yesterday - had the most basic package (heated but not air conditioned seats, no nav, no sunroof) sticker was $50K and change which I thought was not too bad for a V8 considering my V6 SRX was almost that much.

Some random thoughts:

The V8 is a fast motor! The STS just plain LAUNCHES when you hit the pedal. Traction control kicked in on dry pavement with pedal to the metal take offs - would be a lot of fun as a daily driver...

The interior is much more elegant and luxury feeling than the SRX - the dash is low and wide, the seats are much better and more comfortable than the SRX and the center console/armrest are wider giving you the sense of driving a larger car than it is. The light colored wood is really sharp looking. The plastics for the dash seem a notch above CTS/SRX.

The pedals are not adjustable, 3 more inches of legroom would have made the drive bearable, but I really needed about 5 more inches - unfortunately this car is not for tall drivers (although it is much better than previous Sevilles), at 6'5" my right leg was uncomfortably resting on the center column just below my knee. With a sunroof I would not have had enough headroom. Rear passengers would not have any legroom behind me with the seat all the way back.

The power tilt and telescope wheel is really a nice feature that I wish the SRX had.

Still has cruise control on the turn signal arm (just like a Chevette) which is disappointing. Also no turn signal indicators on the mirrors which is a nagging inconvenience of the sigma platform.

The push button start is really a cool gadget - but I'd worry about having to explain it to parking attendants and valets.

I don't think I could get more than 2 golf bags into the trunk because I don't think they'd fit latitudinally between the wheel wells and would have to be stacked in the far back, but I'd like to see someone on the forum test this and see.

The hood and fenders are on straight with consistent gaps! (See the SRX forums to find out why this is so surprising.)

All in all this is a fantastic ride with awesome curb appeal - if you're short enough to fit, I dont think you can go wrong with this car.

JC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.