Loose Shifter Linkage????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Loose Shifter Linkage???? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When I put my car in gear i hear a metallic (metal on metal) clanking sound. I can only hear ...
    BlackedouT STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8 (1SF JE5), Corsa, JL, 22" Lexanis

Loose Shifter Linkage????

When I put my car in gear i hear a metallic (metal on metal) clanking sound. I can only hear it when my windows are down. Also, the shifter doesn't feel as solid as it used to. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a loose shifter linkage? If so, can I fix it myself or do I need to take it to the dealer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Re: Loose Shifter Linkage????

Quote Originally Posted by BlackedouT STS View Post
    When I put my car in gear i hear a metallic (metal on metal) clanking sound. I can only hear it when my windows are down. Also, the shifter doesn't feel as solid as it used to. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be a loose shifter linkage? If so, can I fix it myself or do I need to take it to the dealer?
    Off hand that sounds like a bad engine mount or a rear diff bushing.

Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    Off hand that sounds like a bad engine mount or a rear diff bushing.
    I will check my motor and transmission mounts as well as the rear diff bushing, but the sound is directly related to the shifter. as soon as the shifter goes into gear I hear the noise. Any other thoughts????

I will check my motor and transmission mounts as well as the rear diff bushing, but the sound is directly related to the shifter. as soon as the shifter goes into gear I hear the noise. Any other thoughts????
    Is it a one time noise or does it continue once you put it in gear?

Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    Is it a one time noise or does it continue once you put it in gear?

No, it only does it when you select a gear or shift to park.

No, it only does it when you select a gear or shift to park.
    Well that insinuates it is due to a torque reaction. When you shift into gear (or the other way around) the torque the engine generates at idle speed is reacted by the entire drivetrain including the braking system. So, anything from the torque converter back can cause this. That can include engine mounts, U-joints, brake pads and calipers, and diff carrier. The fact that your shift linkage feels vague points towards engine mounts or even the shift lever connection at the trans. Frankly, I doubt it is anything serious. These cars do have some issues with engine mounts and diff carrier bushings.

sts_meyers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

I had the same noise clanking problem with my 05. There is a two peice bar linkage assembly that has a rubber grommet in the middle. If you are a handy guy, you can remove one end of the likage from the side of the transmission and remove the other end from the shifter under the car. When you pull it out you will see what I mean. I rebuilt mine using teflon grommets and supplies from the local home depot. A grinder and drill press are almost required.

sts_myers,

Thank you for the information, I will look at it next week. I think that is probably the problem considering I hear the sound before the transmission actually shifts.

Sgm975 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

I have a 2005 Cadillac STS with 33,000 miles, just dropped it off in the shop yesterday. Same noise, was the transmisison linkage cable and engine mounts. I bought an extended warranty with the car and thank god it's getting picked up by them. The car also has a small coolant leak. It's very odd because my car has always been garaged, no accidents, with all maintenance done and no after market parts. I love my Cadillac but I just can't believe at 33,000 Miles it can have these problems.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

5 years is a long time for rubber.

Cadillac_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS V8 RWD

I have the same problem. The shift lever feels soft and tricky to put into Gears, especially the shifts from D to N and D to 4 and vise versa.
    I took it to the dealer and he immediately said that it is the linkage and they replaced it, the problem, the gear shifter feels worst. I have had my engine mounts replaced before.

I still have problems in the gear shifter it feels loose, but I have no idea how the new one feels like. It is ok when it is in P, but when I put it in D, it actually moves about 1 cm up and down!

SwampAngel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Seville

Alright, same subject with a few additions....
    I can't seem to find a thread where this is already covered...
    I'm having problems with my shift linkage being very loose, and I can plainly see down into the trans that it has a lot of room for unnecessary movement at the tranny. this I can deal with, it just takes a second to wiggle the shifter into gear..... however.... I was wondering if someone knew if this relates to my real problem.

I cant seem to describe the noise correctly or find the right term in the search engine, google or anywhere.

I get in, start the car, wiggle into drive. it happens in 2,3, or drive.

if i pity the gas pedal, no more than 1/8 the way to floor, it is fine.

if pressed just a little closer to halfway down, it starts slipping, klanking. not loud, but plainly noticeable and annoying performance wise.

doesnt seem like it should be a "shifting" problem because its not time to switch gears but rather, the gear its in just starts faltering

keep in mind, i am on flat gound, only trying to get the car up to 35-45. past that its a whole different story.

if i use extreme ease with acceleration, it can usually baby its way up into a comfortable spot in rpms, and stay happy with no studdering

til i get to another red light and have to start over again, that is.

the kentuckian i bought it from promised the only repairs needed were "transmission mounts" and swaybar

now, the steering, swaybar issue (2 pins on ends i think), shift linkage are all things i can figure out, but
    with the shifting/rattling, well thats stumping my usually on point do-it-yourselfer enginuity

sorry if this is out of subject, i just joined this forum and this is my first caddy 1983 (a year older than me), ive always done my own work on my vehicles and want to learn

could loose shift linkage and trans mounts offset something in the way the tranny lines up to make a rattle and refuse to stay in gear/create choppy and fluttery shifting?

pleeeease? thank you

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Broken motor mounts?

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE
    SwampAngel,

You have an '83 Seville? You should post this description in the http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ldorado-forum/ forum. The regulars over there may have more experience with this issue. This area you posted in is for 2005 and newer STS.

goustarhs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX 2005

I can say with 100% certainty that this is a "shifter linkage" issue.
    In fact it is just the little rubber grommet on the shift linkage that fell off after becoming worn and dried out.
    To test this as the root cause,.. get in your car,.. lower the window,.. turn the key only to engage the electrical and shift WITHOUT STARTING THE CAR,.. now begin to shift the gear, at which time you will hear a "metal clinking or tinging type sound",.. this is loose linkage that is pinging against the two (2) parts that make this simple lever mechanism because the rubber grommet has fallen out of the axis. This is how you know you have a shifter linkage issue for certain.

The "shifter linkage" part is responsible for the shifter being tight and not sloppy as well as quiet absent of a "metal clinking or tinging noise"
    The parts sells for $110.81 new GM Part No 15245220 for the adjustable version and $81.70 NEW GM Part No 25756336 for the fixed version.

I changed mine out for a new one and have the used one left over. All that is needed to make it work perfectly is a $3.00 rubber grommet you can purchase separately from a hardware or autoparts store but not from GM. If I knew that in advance,.. I would not have replaced my shift linkage at a cost of $220 from my local rip-off dealer. email questions, or if need more info or more photos see this link http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2852907922.html

BY THE WAY ,... Someone else on this blog string mentioned the DIFFERENTIAL BUSHING as the cause of the metal clicking,.. WRONG for sure,..I know because I had both issues occur. A BAD DIFFERENTIAL BUSHING noise is a massive THUD or CLUNK sound and is violent and abrupt only occurring while the engine is on and when shifting the gear while the engine is on,.. and also occurs when accelerating or releases your foot off the gas pedal abruptly. I have experienced this issue also ,.. changing the differential bushing required removal of the differential by first removing the drive axles,..and that required the use of a special GM dealer only J-TOOL part No. J-44394 Kent-Moore Differential Seal Tool. The differential bushing is $25.00 but the dealer wants $600 labor for 5 hours to do the job,.. however my local Goodyear store did it in 2 hours and charged me $200 labor and I paid $25.00 for the part so I felt good with my decision to tell the dealer to blow off.
    see this link for the J tool needed - http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2835168112.html

Kind Regards to all
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.