Loose Shifter Linkage???? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Loose Shifter Linkage???? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by EChas3 Broken motor mounts? I just had my motor mounts replaced by the dealer and I have ...
    caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

Re: Loose Shifter Linkage????

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Broken motor mounts?
    I just had my motor mounts replaced by the dealer and I have the same problem. When putting in gear I hear the clanking noise.

willysmooo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS V-8 AWD ISG, Tuscany seats, per. cooling etc

Goustarhs.....did you need to buy the actual linkage??? Or did you honestly just need the rubber grommet??? Im kindy handy so if I jack the car up I should probably be able to see it im assuming....any idea what size grommet??? Or is it basically a piece of rubber that you can put the bolt through that hooks up to the tranny???? Thanks

Just FYI, if anyone has a 2007 and newer, the correct part# is 22822706. Its about 59 bucks and one nut from the shifter and one nut from the trans. After researching and ordering the part I wasnt going to rebuild it to save 45 bucks or so...not to mention my time, a couple hunded??? ya I probably would of. The part# above is actually a new part number(for the ATS and XTS).....the old # is 15780844...both will work(same part basically, besides a better bushing probably, and the new part# is $1 cheaper). I just couldnt understand why the other guy listed 2 part numbers, I kept thinking one was for the aluminum piece and the other for the steel rod.

Addendum to my last...dont know why i cant edit..but anyway the new part# is for sure the one you want...and its 47bucks, not 59. The engineers at GM have recognized this linkage issue, because on the new one I picked up yesterday.... it has a big rubber bushing type thing..that basically keeps that sucker in place getting rid of vibrations etc....should of been done earlier..but just in time for the ATS and XTS, and anyone that takes the car to the dealer to have this done(unless warranty) shouldnt. It took me 35 min and most of that was putting the car on jack stands( because I hate being under a car like that).....100% the sloppy shifter is gone and quiet as new........I set it a little back to make sure it has pressure toward the D position.

gabbylbk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

Do you know the part number for the differential bushing and where you got it from? local dealer says it doesn't exist.

gabbylbk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by goustarhs View Post
    I can say with 100% certainty that this is a "shifter linkage" issue.
    In fact it is just the little rubber grommet on the shift linkage that fell off after becoming worn and dried out.
    To test this as the root cause,.. get in your car,.. lower the window,.. turn the key only to engage the electrical and shift WITHOUT STARTING THE CAR,.. now begin to shift the gear, at which time you will hear a "metal clinking or tinging type sound",.. this is loose linkage that is pinging against the two (2) parts that make this simple lever mechanism because the rubber grommet has fallen out of the axis. This is how you know you have a shifter linkage issue for certain.

The "shifter linkage" part is responsible for the shifter being tight and not sloppy as well as quiet absent of a "metal clinking or tinging noise"
    The parts sells for $110.81 new GM Part No 15245220 for the adjustable version and $81.70 NEW GM Part No 25756336 for the fixed version.

I changed mine out for a new one and have the used one left over. All that is needed to make it work perfectly is a $3.00 rubber grommet you can purchase separately from a hardware or autoparts store but not from GM. If I knew that in advance,.. I would not have replaced my shift linkage at a cost of $220 from my local rip-off dealer. email questions, or if need more info or more photos see this link http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2852907922.html

BY THE WAY ,... Someone else on this blog string mentioned the DIFFERENTIAL BUSHING as the cause of the metal clicking,.. WRONG for sure,..I know because I had both issues occur. A BAD DIFFERENTIAL BUSHING noise is a massive THUD or CLUNK sound and is violent and abrupt only occurring while the engine is on and when shifting the gear while the engine is on,.. and also occurs when accelerating or releases your foot off the gas pedal abruptly. I have experienced this issue also ,.. changing the differential bushing required removal of the differential by first removing the drive axles,..and that required the use of a special GM dealer only J-TOOL part No. J-44394 Kent-Moore Differential Seal Tool. The differential bushing is $25.00 but the dealer wants $600 labor for 5 hours to do the job,.. however my local Goodyear store did it in 2 hours and charged me $200 labor and I paid $25.00 for the part so I felt good with my decision to tell the dealer to blow off.
    see this link for the J tool needed - http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2835168112.html

Kind Regards to all

part # for differential bushing and where did you get it?

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

Quote Originally Posted by caddyfat2 View Post
    I just had my motor mounts replaced by the dealer and I have the same problem. When putting in gear I hear the clanking noise.
    Had the shifter repaired and it was the shifter linkage. Now it's as quiet as a sleeping baby.

juscuz6969 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Does anyone have the part # or schematic for the differential bushing? I have that same thud when increasing and decrease the foot pounds per square inch on my gas pedal.

dcliff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

I have 2005 STS and have the same problem. When shifting into reverse or drive there is a pretty loud metallic clanging sound. I attached a photo of the missing bushing from the connection. This photo is from under the car and where the shifter assembly connects to the rod you show in your pictures. I was going to try and remedy myself, but the unit is riveted together and would require more work than I am capable of doing with my limited tools. I am not sure if a rubber washer will completely fix the situation, since it appears there needs to be something that wraps around the bolt that will tighten the connection.

The blue plastic items shown look like they would work, but they look like they are not exactly the right size. Where can I get the blue plastic items?

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    I see no picture.

Poundman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcliff View Post
    I have 2005 STS and have the same problem. When shifting into reverse or drive there is a pretty loud metallic clanging sound. I attached a photo of the missing bushing from the connection. This photo is from under the car and where the shifter assembly connects to the rod you show in your pictures. I was going to try and remedy myself, but the unit is riveted together and would require more work than I am capable of doing with my limited tools. I am not sure if a rubber washer will completely fix the situation, since it appears there needs to be something that wraps around the bolt that will tighten the connection.

The blue plastic items shown look like they would work, but they look like they are not exactly the right size. Where can I get the blue plastic items?
    I would like to see the picture also

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

After having the pan/valve body off mine a few times in the past several weeks, Pearl, my '05, developed this exact same problem.

Looks like I get to go back under there, 'cause the sloppiness is both annoying, and I know I'm going to accidentally get the incorrect gear, at some point.

madtuner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the same issue and as soon as I heard the sound on the STS I knew exactly what it was (having dealt with this issue prior on a 3-series BMW with the same transmission).

Unfortunately on the STS, the whole linkage is a single piece, unlike the BMWs (where you can replace just the bushing - shown as part of item #8 in the following link):

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E5...l_wheel_drive/

I've decided not to bother with mine for the time being, but I might attempt to retrofit a BMW style nut and bolt setup at some point.
    mckellyb likes this.

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

Agreed, madtuner.

I'm going to be creative, if need be. On my W126 Mercedes, it was a simple $2 bushing and 30 minutes of work.

Poundman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by goustarhs View Post
    I can say with 100% certainty that this is a "shifter linkage" issue.
    In fact it is just the little rubber grommet on the shift linkage that fell off after becoming worn and dried out.
    To test this as the root cause,.. get in your car,.. lower the window,.. turn the key only to engage the electrical and shift WITHOUT STARTING THE CAR,.. now begin to shift the gear, at which time you will hear a "metal clinking or tinging type sound",.. this is loose linkage that is pinging against the two (2) parts that make this simple lever mechanism because the rubber grommet has fallen out of the axis. This is how you know you have a shifter linkage issue for certain.

The "shifter linkage" part is responsible for the shifter being tight and not sloppy as well as quiet absent of a "metal clinking or tinging noise"
    The parts sells for $110.81 new GM Part No 15245220 for the adjustable version and $81.70 NEW GM Part No 25756336 for the fixed version.

I changed mine out for a new one and have the used one left over. All that is needed to make it work perfectly is a $3.00 rubber grommet you can purchase separately from a hardware or autoparts store but not from GM. If I knew that in advance,.. I would not have replaced my shift linkage at a cost of $220 from my local rip-off dealer. email questions, or if need more info or more photos see this link http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2852907922.html

BY THE WAY ,... Someone else on this blog string mentioned the DIFFERENTIAL BUSHING as the cause of the metal clicking,.. WRONG for sure,..I know because I had both issues occur. A BAD DIFFERENTIAL BUSHING noise is a massive THUD or CLUNK sound and is violent and abrupt only occurring while the engine is on and when shifting the gear while the engine is on,.. and also occurs when accelerating or releases your foot off the gas pedal abruptly. I have experienced this issue also ,.. changing the differential bushing required removal of the differential by first removing the drive axles,..and that required the use of a special GM dealer only J-TOOL part No. J-44394 Kent-Moore Differential Seal Tool. The differential bushing is $25.00 but the dealer wants $600 labor for 5 hours to do the job,.. however my local Goodyear store did it in 2 hours and charged me $200 labor and I paid $25.00 for the part so I felt good with my decision to tell the dealer to blow off.
    see this link for the J tool needed - http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pts/2835168112.html

Kind Regards to all
    Any pictures of the grommet you used to stop the noise? Did you do yourself?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.