Power Steering Sh!ts the Bed!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Power Steering Sh!ts the Bed! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It's the same old story that everybody else has to tell on the subject. All of a sudden, at an ...
    dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Power Steering Sh!ts the Bed!

It's the same old story that everybody else has to tell on the subject. All of a sudden, at an idle or parking lot speeds it takes muscle to steer my '06 STS AWD after it warms up. My wife almost wrecked in the supermarket parking lot pulling into a space. I take the car to the dealer and they say they are going to flush and change the fluid and charge me $99 for it. I tell them they're crazy. The pump is bad and needs to be changed. Sure enough they call me later and say the flush didn't fix it but they don't have a new pump and it'll be next week before one comes in and they're still going to charge me $99 for the flush. No loner car, no rental car, I'm on my own. I'm lucky I still have my old Ford pickup to fall back on. The next nearest dealer is 362 miles away and they're even worse.

The local dealer, Lithia, got nailed by the state of Alaska with the biggest consumer fraud fine in the history of the state for charging illegal document preparation fees and selling used cars with salvage and damage histories without disclosing it to the buyers. The fine and restitution was well over a million dollars.

Why am I not surprised that they want to screw me?
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE

Re: Power Steering Sh!ts the Bed!

Don't feel too bad - I got 4 dealerships within 10 miles, and I'm sure they are all out to get me too.

On a personal note, I accidently dragged my mouse across the F. R**ge*r text in your bio and was "rewarded" with a pop-over video that instantly started playing. Thanks Kontera (NOT). ahh, a new level of annoyance from on-line advertisers.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

Thats the shaft Koz esp since you told them what to do and they didnt listen...

I figure that the pump failed and filled the system with trash. They'll replace the pump and in short order the rack will fail and take out the pump again. When a hydraulic system gets contaminated with ground up metal there is no flushing it out.

I have no idea what the story on my car is at this point. I can't get the service department at the dealership to answer my calls or return messages. I suppose I'll have to go down there and beard the lion in his den.

ChrisHall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS AWD Platinum V8

My 2008 STS AWD V8 was doing the same thing on occasion. Not all the time. Then one day the message "Stability Secure Mode" showed up on DIC. Took car into dealer last Thursday and it's a module. They tell me it's 1 of 5 different one found in these cars that do different things. New module is on order. $800 just for module. Thank goodness for warranty.

Cheers,
    Chris

MGD
    MGD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V-6 1SC

I have a small power steering leak in my '05 V-6 RWD. Is that the start of the failure, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by MGD View Post
    I have a small power steering leak in my '05 V-6 RWD. Is that the start of the failure, or something else?
    Small leaks are little more than a nuisance. Grinding noises and lack of function are more certain trouble indicators.

The dealer has had the car for 10 days and they still haven't fixed it. No rental car, no loaner, nothing. The only way I could get the service department to even talk to me on the phone was to call the general manager. The service department puts me on ignore until I give up. They won't return messages. The excuse they gave me was about a parts order mixup. I'm not holding my breath on this one. I'm betting they replaced the pump and wiped it out again with debris in the system from the steering rack. At this point they aren't admitting to anything.

Onalaska is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V

The STS is a great car until it breaks! I guess I could say the same about my XLR, it was in the shop for a month waiting on a power steering pulley. They did reimburse me for most of the cost of car rental though.

Lifer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS 1SG, 2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    I have no idea what the story on my car is at this point. I can't get the service department at the dealership to answer my calls or return messages. I suppose I'll have to go down there and beard the lion in his den.
    Koz,
    I have been reading this forum for five years now, which includes your messages all over the place, and not to be so negative - but I will be. I think part of your problem is attitude. You have a negative attitude which reflects here oh so well. Maybe if you were to lighten up a bit and smile more, the service department would feel you are someone who needs special attention, instead of special avoidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
    Koz,
    I have been reading this forum for five years now, which includes your messages all over the place, and not to be so negative - but I will be. I think part of your problem is attitude. You have a negative attitude which reflects here oh so well. Maybe if you were to lighten up a bit and smile more, the service department would feel you are someone who needs special attention, instead of special avoidance.
    I've tried that and the car sat there for over a month.

Unfortunately, it appears that it's the squeaking wheel that gets the grease. If you stand there like a sheep, they run right over you.

SlickCityStan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V6-1SC

Quote Originally Posted by MGD View Post
    small leaks lead to grinding noises and lack of function: get it fixed! It is a sealed hydraulic system it is not designed to leak.

My wife has developed an effective communications strategy with the dealership. When they try to take a message for the callback that never happens my wife demands to talk to the manager. He can get the service department to answer the phone every time. It appears that after 10 days they have finally received a replacement PS pump and are going to change it some time this afternoon.

I finally got a call from the dealership. They changed the PS pump and it didn't fix it. They don't know what to do next so they're calling Cadillac in the morning. I'm starting to forget what the car even looks like.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.