Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How to replace rotors and brakes JE5

34K views 54 replies 32 participants last post by  MIKELEE2007 
#1 ·
There weren't any treads on this topic that I could find easily with the search function, so I'll apologize in advance if this post is redundant.

I've ordered and received drilled/slotted rotors for my 06 STS. Eagle Brakes had the best deal on these. I found them on Ebay, full set of 4 rotors and brake linings for $253.

The replacement is a pretty simple. I'll post some pictures later as I do the change on the right front. You'll only need a few tools:
* 2 ton jack
* Jack stands for safety
* 1/2" breaker bar with 3/4" socket (for the lug nuts)
* 3/8" drive ratchet - 12mm and 13mm sockets (for the caliper assy)
* T30 star drive (I'm using this with a 1/4" drive ratchet)

Again, pictures to follow later today.

#2 ·
Ok. I learned some things as I went along today. 1st - having a 1/2" drive breaker is very handy. 2nd - you'll need a 18mm socket when you get to the rear wheels.

I've also driven on these new rotors for about 20 miles and they rock ! Tons more stopping power than my OEM's.

Happy to answer any questions you all have as well. Good luck.

Doug

Attachments

#4 ·
Thanks man. My front rotors and brakes were fine, but I had a warped rear rotor (I did replace the rears also) and the cadillac dealer wanted $600 to replace the rear rotors and brake pads. I found these drilled / slotted rotors with pads for all 4 wheels for $253. on Ebay (Eagle Brakes - which I do recommend). So... Long story short, I decided to save myself $350 and get the performance of drilled / slotted rotors. They look cool too !

Emergency brake - I put a landscaping block behind the opposing rear tire and left the ebrake off. The rears are nearly the same as the front. Just be careful when removing and replacing the rear rotors for the traction control brake linings. It's more important when you're installing them that you don't gouge the linings by beating on the rotors to get them over the linings. Just use firm pressure with your hands on installation and you'll be fine.

~ Doug

#5 ·
Thx for the pics and the advice...$600 bucks for rotors and pads (per axel)? Sheesh! Give or take $50 for a set of ceramic pads (you did get ceramic pads, didn't you?) and $100 bucks ea for rotors sounds about right based on some recent research I did. So the stealership wants $350 labor per axel?! A good tech with the proper equipment could do it in about half an hour.

#6 ·
The kit I purchased had semi-metallic pads which are ok, but as you already know, produce a lot of dust. After 1 week of driving and smoothing the machining marks, they're producing much less dust. I'll see how it goes with these for another couple weeks and switch to ceramic if I'm not happy, but so far - so good. Also, in my driveway with my own tools it took me about 1/2 hour per corner to do them, but I wasn't in a hurry. And yes, the dealership is never cheap. For something like this that doesn't require you to bleed the brakes, I'd rather do it myself and keep my money. Here's a few pictures of the finished job. I just took these today after washing away the brake dust. :thumbsup:

Attachments

#7 ·
Nice to see that there's some Gear-Head Cadillac Owners out there!
I'm in a similar situation, as one of my Rear Rotors shows only "Half Contact" as the rotor/disc has a "Wear Mark" about 1" wide.
Is there an adjustment of some sort within the Caliper, regarding Pad Fitment?

RSVP with ANY answer/s

TKS

#12 ·
Yes, nice job! This might be a dumb question, but did you already have the JE5 brakes on the car, or did this upgrade your brakes to JE5? Guessing from the wheels, your SF included a performance package, which would mean that you already had them??

I have an 05, which I think is mechanically identical to the 06.

#13 · (Edited)
I agree with Lagging Larry, your whole installation looks exactly like mine,
and mine are the regular brakes. I just did the fronts on mine,05 STS,JL9
and wonder what makes those "Performance Brakes" ???
Do I see two pistons ? which we also have.
What makes them "Performance Brakes" for them to advertise this ???? :):)
I replaced perfectly GOOD rotors also, as I went on a trip, and in 5:00 traffic,
my brakes faded, So I don't want that to EVER happen again, and went to,
New rotors, Slotted and Drilled,and plated, to prevent rusting,
kept the OLD ones, and got them turned.
If you go with slotted and drilled, there are "Right", and "Left" rotors,
You MUST install them on the correct side, as well as front and back.
I also use a 6" C_Clamp to retract the pistons,carefully.

#18 ·
Look on your Service Parts Identification sticker and see if the code JE5 is listed. The sticker should be located in the trunk near the spare tire. The difference in the brakes is that the size of the rotor is larger than the standard brake package and there may be a difference in the type of pad used, but I am not 100% on that

#20 ·
It is proably as easy as getting the larger rotors and upgraded brake pads and swapping them out. the calipers appear to be identical so there shouldn't be any concerns there. There are previous threads on the STS forum that discuss brake jobs and upgrades in greater detail. Some are pretty recent so a search should take to long to find them. See Ya!

#24 ·
Hi Doug and/or whoever else can answer this question...

You say we only need the following tools to do this brake job. What is the T30 used for?
Thanks!
Steve

* 2 ton jack
* Jack stands for safety
* 1/2" breaker bar with 3/4" socket (for the lug nuts)
* 3/8" drive ratchet - 12mm and 13mm sockets (for the caliper assy)
* T30 star drive (I'm using this with a 1/4" drive ratchet)

#26 ·
I'm a little late in reading this.....was the SRX an all-wheel drive or rear wheel?
When I remove the front tire on mine, there is a huge nut that appears to be an axle nut. My SRX is all-wheel drive. Does this axle nut need to be removed or do the discs come off just by removing the caliper and bracket?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.