HELP TPMS Reset
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, HELP TPMS Reset in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; OK, I followed the instructions to the letter. Set parking brake, push off/acc, lock - unlock doors, press lock and ...
    Joe Pagano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 & 2005 STS4

HELP TPMS Reset

OK, I followed the instructions to the letter. Set parking brake, push off/acc, lock - unlock doors, press lock and unlock together. But now I get TWO horn chirps, not one, then adding or releasing air pressure does not result in the confirmation chirp.
    Any ideas?
    Oh, the reason for the reset was a blank reading for the L/F tire, replaced the sensor today.
    Thanks folks.............................. Joe P

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Re: HELP TPMS Reset

Typically the double horn means that it is finishing the learning mode. You must be missing a step or doing a step twice. If you are doing the steps as it says, try releasing or adding more air, sometimes it takes a little longer for the sensor to send a signal and trigger the vehicle.

Another option if you are doing the steps right is to drive your car for 10 minutes, pull over and do the reset right away. TPMS sensors stay active and send a signal approx every 5-10 seconds or when a loss is detected, while the vehicle is moving. When the vehicle is stopped it will continue to send a constant signal for approx 5 minutes, if the wheel has not started moving again, it goes it a power saving mode so you don't kill the batteries on your sensors and it will only send a signal every 10-15 minutes or when a loss is detected. By driving your car around then doing the reset, you have woken the sensors up from their sleep and they will send the signals faster.

Let me know how it goes! I do have another reset procedure listed from Mitchell not from Cadillac, I can type it out and post it if required.

OK, I can try that tomorrow. But I think the two beeps is a killer. I may very well need that other procedure. Thanks....... Joe P

Well I replaced the sensor, tried the reset by letting out air and used a 100 lb magnet, neither worked. I put the ignition on ON/ACC, hit lock and unlock at same time, horn beeps twice, there are no tire messages in the DIC, and then I tried the air release and then redid it with the magnet option, nothing happens, no further horn action.
    Does anybody have another idea absent of going to the stealer?
    The problem is the LF tire, it reads just dashes, the other 3 are working properly.
    Thanks...................... Joe P

My guess is you ruined your new sensor with the magnet. The Cadillacs DO NOT require a magnet to be used. Why do people insist on shoving magnets close to electronics??? Even on vehicles that require the magnet to reset the sensor, there are other ways around it (I never use a magnet, even on vehicles that say they require it), and the magnet they are speaking of is the size of a watch head, not the size of your head.

My guess is you have ruined your sensor or recieved a defective sensor if one tire will not read. I have a tool that can read it but kind of hard to do over the internet, go visit a dealer or an indy and see if they can read the sensors and tell you if one is dead.

The use of the magnet method is well documented here and other sites. I have never heard a bad result due to the magnet. But, you may have hit the nail on the head with the idea I replaced a bad sensor with another bad one.
    I dread having to go to a dealership. Without any other advice or tips I guess I have no choice.
    Thanks............... Joe P

alexillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

When I talked to my mechanic, he said, that 90 % of the trials to reprogramm TPMS Sensors using the air-in-air-out method fail (his experience), and they use a programming tool which works everytime.
    Do you use aftermarket sensors or gm orgiginals? I'm plannung to buy aftermarket ones. So I would be glad, if anyone could share experience with aftermarket sensors...
    greetings!

I use aftermarket sensors all day long, you won't have any problems. The aftermarket sensors are the same as the OEM sensors without the crazy markup, they are provided by the same companys.

Did you drive your vehicle for a bit before doing the TPMS sensor? If a sensor has been sleeping on the shelf for a while it may need to be woken up before it will send any signals. Any good independant shop should have a TPMS reading tool, if they do, you can do the reset proceedure, then instead of letting air out of each tire, you just scan the wheel, horn will honk, then move on like normal.

ChrisHall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS AWD Platinum V8

Once the car sits for a longer periode the sensors power off. They get reactivated by the rotation of the tire. Take the car for a drive then do the steps. I had the same problem 2 months ago untill someone told me about this.

Chirping twice is correct. Manual is incorrect

Hope this helps,
    Chris

Yes, I drove the vehicle before each attempt. I need to see my dealer Friday to set up getting the wife's new CTS so I will strong arm them into checking the TPMS, like - "I will give you $46K for a new CTS - AND a TPMS reset on my STS".
    I will post the results, thanks........................... Joe P

Went to the dealer this afternoon. After seeing my salesman I went to the service department and spoke to one of the managers. He gave me a song and a dance about it must be a bad sensor and I would need to spend about an hour and a half there. So, I kept my cool and didn't let on that I knew damn well it was a 3 minute job. I stroked him a little while he was looking up my records on his computer, and I guess the 3 Caddies popping up gave him a change of heart. So he said "alright I'll take it around back and see if we could do something". It took 4 minutes and he came back in, handed me my fob and said "it's OK now they all reset". Oh great I said, thanks very much.
    Indeed. restarting the car all was well with the old TPMS. Hold on, theres more.............................................. .................................
    Remember, it was my LF tire on the fritz ( ---- LF ---- ), two miles later on the highway home, BAM "check tire pressure", only this time it was the LR, which reads ---- LR ---- ............................. You cannot make this stuff up................................... Joe P

IDAMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That's just sad. I'm having my own TPMS issue with a '03 DTS.
    • Took it to Tire shop and had new tires put on it.
    • Tire shop tried to relearn since all wheels had been moved around
    • Car would not learn all wheels
    • Ended up blowing all of the NiCads so off to Caddi and replaced them all (still had warranty at the time)
    • All was good for quite some time
    • Needed new tires
    • Back to Tire shop, got new tires
    • Tire shop tries to relearn wheels but car won't beep
    • go to Caddi - Caddi says that one sensor won't learn
    • Back to Tire shop, Tire shop says and shows me that they are getting all sensors to report pressure but can't get car to beep
    • So what's the issue? Why won't the car beep and how can I fix this without the Stealer telling me that I need a new computer installed?

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

get the car in the tpm mode with the two honks then let air out of the lf tire first even if till it goes flat then to the rf then to the rr then to the lr the horn will beep ain and its done fill up the tires and drive on!

scott9001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts N* 1965 coupe deville

and the horn will honk every time you need to move wheels

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Do the lock and unlock thing with the fob and not the door buttons. Hold the buttons down until the car beeps once.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.