HELP TPMS Reset - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, HELP TPMS Reset in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I picked up a Kent-Moore J-46079 service tool on Ebay. It performs resets as well as analyzes both the TPMS ...
    dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: HELP TPMS Reset

I picked up a Kent-Moore J-46079 service tool on Ebay. It performs resets as well as analyzes both the TPMS transmitters and the RCVR in the car. DIY can involve investing in tooling just like professionals have to do.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The difference between men and boys
    Is the size and price of their toys.

-STS- is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lightbulb Re: HELP TPMS Reset

So I just had a similar problem with the tire pressure sensors, having to multiple times go into a nearby gas station to try to relearn, but fail, and just give up and go home.
    I had 37-44 PSI in my 2005 STS (which I just bought), where 30PSI is the correct pressure. Of course, this was easy enough to fix, but I didn't know which sensor belonged to which tire, probably because of tire rotation or maybe tire replacements, and not bothering to relearn the sensors.

So after a couple of tries, I managed to get the left front recognized, but not the next wheel, therefore three of the wheels read --- XX --- (where XX is RF, RR, LR), and only LF was working.

After several attempts, and ignoring that the manual says "Chirps ONCE", this is what I found is the best way to get the TPMS relearn to work, where I had no problems at all:

What you will need:
    - Something to depress the valve center pin with (pen, key, tool), I used the valve cap for this.
    - Remote for car

1. Drive 20-30 minutes, preferably reaching 30-40 mph for a longer period, this should make sure all sensors are awakened and active.
    2. Locate a gas station, park by the air pump (or drive home to your compressor).
    3. Turn of the car, put in ACC mode (push down once on keyless go).

You now have less than 15 minutes to start and complete the procedure after parking (before the sensors "go to sleep" and only updates once an hour.)
    When started, you have 1 minute per wheel, and a total of 5 minutes from when the procedure was started to complete all wheels.

4. Remove the air valve caps from all wheels.
    5. Close the door, on remote: lock, unlock, then hold both lock & unlock at the same time until the horn chirps TWICE
    6. You'll now relearn the sensors by going around the car, letting air out of the valves:
    - Go to the left front tire, let out air for 10 seconds, or until the horn chirps once. (NOTE, the horn can take another 20 seconds before chirping after deflating the tire!)
    - Go to the right front tire, let out air for 10 seconds, or until the horn chirps once.
    - Go to the right back tire, let out air for 10 seconds, or until the horn chirps once.
    - Go to the left back tire, let out air for 10 seconds, or until the horn chirps twice.
    7. Relearn sensors DONE, it should now be working, you can check by putting the car in "on" mode (position 2), if you have keyless go; hold down on the start button for a few seconds.
    8. Refill tires, and check TPMS readings. PS, your tires are warm, you should always check when they're cold. Double check this after being parked for several hours / over night. Atm. your correct PSI could be 2-4 PSI higher than the cold inflation pressure.

I hope this helps others with the same problem. You might want to try again from step 1 if it didn't work, f.ex. if one of the wheels didn't make the horn chirp. The sensor could need to be awakened, or most likely if driving for a long time, and still not having a successful relearn - You'll need to replace the sensor.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Easier yet; pop a few $$ for a TPMS tool & add it to your toolbox.

-STS- is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sure, but this is an easy enough fix for that one time

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.