HELP TPMS Reset - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, HELP TPMS Reset in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I think the car has to have driven for a while before starting the procedure, too. (It 'wakes up' the ...
    EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: HELP TPMS Reset

I think the car has to have driven for a while before starting the procedure, too. (It 'wakes up' the sensors.) The manual says to start the procedure withing 15 minutes of parking the car. You also only have five minutes to complete the procedure.

cadillacpaul is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac DHS

First time poster here.

I had a bad valve on my right front tire which caused a slow leak that progressively got worse and had it replaced at the dealership a couple weeks ago ($150 for the work). Since I did not have my key fob with me (I put in an after market alarm system that came with its own fob), I went back to the dealership to get the tire sensors re-programmed. But when they went to program the tires, the sensor on my left front tire apparently went bad. The Cadillac service guy felt bad for me so they said they would cut me a deal and replace the bad sensor on my left front wheel for $100 instead of $150. I declined in favor of going home to do some research on the good ol internet to see if I could do it myself for cheaper. That's when I found this site.

Questions:
    1) Does anyone know what part I need to replace the tire sensor?
    2) I've read some threads on this forum indicating that an OEM tire sensor is just as good as the dealer's part (dealership said it would cost $70 just for the sensor). Where can I buy an OEM tire sensor?
    3) Is it possible for me to replace a tire sensor myself or should I just take the part to a local mechanic whose rates are cheaper?
    4) Any general advice about my situation?

By the way, I have a 2005 Cadillac DHS.

Thanks in advance for reading this and helping out with the questions!

Paul

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacpaul View Post
    First time poster here.

I had a bad valve on my right front tire which caused a slow leak that progressively got worse and had it replaced at the dealership a couple weeks ago ($150 for the work). Since I did not have my key fob with me (I put in an after market alarm system that came with its own fob), I went back to the dealership to get the tire sensors re-programmed. But when they went to program the tires, the sensor on my left front tire apparently went bad. The Cadillac service guy felt bad for me so they said they would cut me a deal and replace the bad sensor on my left front wheel for $100 instead of $150. I declined in favor of going home to do some research on the good ol internet to see if I could do it myself for cheaper. That's when I found this site.

Questions:
    1) Does anyone know what part I need to replace the tire sensor?
    2) I've read some threads on this forum indicating that an OEM tire sensor is just as good as the dealer's part (dealership said it would cost $70 just for the sensor). Where can I buy an OEM tire sensor?
    3) Is it possible for me to replace a tire sensor myself or should I just take the part to a local mechanic whose rates are cheaper?
    4) Any general advice about my situation?

By the way, I have a 2005 Cadillac DHS.

Thanks in advance for reading this and helping out with the questions!

Paul
    OEM = Dealer supplier parts but they might be available elsewhere. Example is Schrader TPMS supplies OEM but can purchase at tire shops.
    No you can't do it yourself, tire bead needs to be broken by a machine, go to a good tire shop or dealer.

General advice? Sensor doesn't good bad while learning... It was either dead when it came in or they did not program/wake the sensor correctly. Get your key fob, learn the procedure for your vehicle (This is STS section, not sure if its the same), drive on your major roadway above 40km/h for at least 10-20 minutes, follow procedure. Did it work? If so, golden! If not...

step B.... Go to your local air pump (free) with air gauge in hand, read sidewall of tire for max pressure (psi), air up tire that won't learn to max psi, then let ALL of the air out, do it again for a second time if you have the time, then try the reset procedure again. Did it work? If so, golden! EDIT: If you take longer than 4-5 minutes to do this then you might have to go drive again, the key will be that the sleeping sensor is now awake from the massive air changes in the tire and when you pull over from your drive it should be awake. I also recommend doing the air up and down with the car running so that the module will also be trying to communicate to assist with waking the sensor up(hopefully, and OPEN your driver window in case your car locks while your working!)

If not.... Take it to THE shop in your area to go to and have a GOOD tech get out the scan tool and see if he can wake that sensor up or tell if the battery is dead/dieing on it, if your lucky he will do it for free or half hour labor since he is just pushing buttons on a scan tool to wake it up unless he is really good . If it won't respond still, its toast most likely, there are a few other tricks a really good shop can do but really it gets to the point of how much time spent on it vs new sensor, some GM sensors are like $30-40 and $20 to a tire guy for swapping it. Good luck

cadillacpaul is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac DHS

Allgoinshow, thanks for your response and thoughts. I did a google search and the Schrader tire sensors cost about $68 on Amazon which is about what the dealership charges. I may just go back to the dealership to get the work done since the parts price is the same and they promised to charge me only $30 in labor.

Re: dead sensor, the dealer mechanic said that the tire sensor must have died right when I brought it in. I saw him actually take a black box around to each tire and heard the horn chirp for the tires that worked but the left front tire would not chirp. Apparently, if one of your sensors go bad, you can't reset just one tire. You need to do them all at one time.

Try GMpartshouse or Lindsay Cadillac, not Amazon. Trust me, NO sensor has EVER died on my as soon as the vehicle rolls into the shop, unheard of, maybe 100% fluke but I SERIOUSLY doubt it and I do this ALLL day long.

If one sensor goes bad, replace the one sensor. Since you are an 05 then yes you are close to the 8 year life span they apparently come with, you COULD change all 4 but you are NOT required to change all 4. Don't let the dealer continue to feed you bullshit...

Genius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Deville DHS

Quote Originally Posted by AllGoNShow View Post
    drive on your major roadway above 40km/h for at least 10-20 minutes, follow procedure. Did it work? If so, golden!
    Thanks for the great tip AllGoNShow, I was having problems getting my RF tire sensor to acknowledge with a honk (I used a 150LB magnet) no matter how long I held it near the valve stem. All of the other tire sensors would honk as normal.

This morning I drove 30 miles to work and pulled over into the parking lot to immediately do the reset/test. Bingo, the RF sensor honked immediately and I was able to get the system reset properly.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Genius View Post
    Thank for the great tip AllGoNShow, I was having problems getting my RF tire sensor to acknowledge with a honk (I used a 150LB magnet) no matter how long I held it near the valve stem. All of the other tire sensors would honk as normal.

This morning I drove 30 miles to work and pulled over into the parking lot to immediately do the reset/test. Bingo, the RF sensor honked immediately and I was able to get the system reset properly.

Thanks again!
    Awesome Glad it worked for you, magnets suck, I probably have 5 lying around from my my TPMS "reset" kits and I've never used one in my life haha, tricks work better than magnets.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

This whole TPMS baloney is the biggest load of crap since daytime running lights, and we have ford to thank for it with their BS decision to lower the tire pressure in explorers to an unsafe level (as per the tire maker) just because they had a too high vehicle that would fail rollover tests.

The damn sensors should not require this level of nonsense to recalibrate.

Was it truly because of Ford lowering tire pressures or was it from the absurd amount of retarded American's who are too fat and lazy to check their tire pressures so they just drive on them like they are perfect, get in an accident and then sue Ford/Firestone for faulty products when actually they should have showed their fat ass crack at the last gas station they stopped for a hot dog at and put some damn air in their tires they haven't filled since they bought the truck.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Was it truly because of Ford lowering tire pressures or was it from the absurd amount of retarded American's who are too fat and lazy to check their tire pressures so they just drive on them like they are perfect, get in an accident and then sue Ford/Firestone for faulty products when actually they should have showed their fat ass crack at the last gas station they stopped for a hot dog at and put some damn air in their tires they haven't filled since they bought the truck.
    Whew! Finally got read through that run-on sentence. Dude, learn to us a period.

By the way, I agree with you!

Nice ninja edit I forgot to put *End of Rant* at the end, makes up for the lack of periods

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

Nice ninja edit I forgot to put *End of Rant* at the end, makes up for the lack of periods
    I hear ya... similar to breaking a rule in golf. Declaring, "I know the penalty for going out of bounds is stroke and distance, but I'll just take two strokes instead." Declaring that you know the rule, but you're going to break it anyway .... sort of makes it ok ... as long as you're not playing for money!

Last night I was going to add a post but decidied not to tempt fate. It didn't matter. This morning, I saw 'Service Tire Monitor' (or whatever) and one sendor was reading.

Later in the day, all was well. I've never replaced a sensor or reset the TPMS.................Yet!

MonzaRacer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    This whole TPMS baloney is the biggest load of crap since daytime running lights, and we have ford to thank for it with their BS decision to lower the tire pressure in explorers to an unsafe level (as per the tire maker) just because they had a too high vehicle that would fail rollover tests.

The damn sensors should not require this level of nonsense to recalibrate.
    First of all TPMS came about from people starting to use low profile tires back in early 80s(re 84 Corvette). NOT Ford Explorers.
    As for the tire pressure issue on Explorers the tires built by Firestone had NO ISSUE in design nor were they particularly defective. 144 roll overs and 44 deaths in nearly 20 years of the FR480 tire design being used hold up (that was basic design of the Firestone tires that "were defective" ) some labled as Wilderness some at other names.
    They mostly were built in Illinois plant from a propietary pelletized rubber compound and itturns out they wore exceptionally well and had decent wet/dry/snow characteristics.
    Now TPMS wasuber expensive exotic stuff, but as electronics come in manufacturers started adding them to cars. My biggest issue is they are NOT held under the OBD2 rules ( all use same codes, tools, procedures, etc) as strictly as should be.
    Now yes NHTSA did push for inception and of course lawsuits, lawyers etc all set up all people to have topay for a few fat lazy ding dong eating, ski boat pulled with 15 yr old tires on little Exploder IDIOTS. So farfrom my sources in Firestone AND investigating firms, less than 4000 out of nearly 4 or 5 million tires tested have show actual defects.
    As for resetting, LEARN what your model car needs and just do it,,, if it takes a tool look on ebay maybe you can get one cheap andhelp others . But come on guys its bad info and bad sensors that cause 90% of issues.
    What sucks is that it takes a $1200 tool to be able to do majhor amount of these cars resets,,some require OBD2 hook ups! Bet some dealers love that,,some out of warranty charges I have seen as much $199 to scan/diag.
    Good luck

I like TPMS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.