New brake pads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, New brake pads in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I did some research in this forum about brake pads but did not find an exact opinion or answer. ...
    Totti808 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

New brake pads

Hi

I did some research in this forum about brake pads but did not find an exact opinion or answer.

I want to buy new brake pads for 2006 Cadillac sts. My brake pads have 'JE5' code - performance brakes.

After searching in tirerack, I found that hawk only makes front brake pads for JE5. So I decided to install Hawk brake pads for the front brakes, and Akebono for rear brakes. Can I do this mixture or will it cause me problems?

My choices are :
    Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads (Rear brake pads)
    Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads (Front brake pads)

So what do you think? Should I go wit ceramic brake pads? or should I choose composite like "Hawk HPS Street brake pads"?

My main concern is more stopping power and lower dust.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Re: New brake pads

I've not researched STS brakes because I am not their yet, don't need them. But I have a Corvette and have researched all the options for it. I also have a friend who ownes a wholesale parts business and I considered his input too. Bottom line for the Corvette I went with stock brake pads and rotors. I think the advantages of ceramic are overblown. GM puts out some quality brake parts.

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

My service adviser told me that they have a lot of people who come in complaining of light squeaking sounds from theyre brakes. He said that the GM pads always make some kind of noise and they usually put better pads on it and it will go away. My STS does it too I am just waiting until the pads wear down some more before replacing them.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Since neither of those guys actually answered your question I will help you out.

Your current combo is ok, there will be slight differences in the compounds they use from company to company but since you are probably not tracking your beast, you will never notice the difference.

Hawk HPS is what I have on my STS right now, sometimes the HPS can be a little noisey but I'd rather know my vehicle is coming to a stop then worry about how much noise it is making while doing that. I personally recommend the HPS over the Ceramic, if you are ever in need to come to a hault REALLY fast, the HPS is going to do better than the Ceramics, especially if you already have some heat built into them. The HPS is a really great pad to use and I suggest it for anyones vehicle that enjoys driving their car, coming to a stop and some spirited driving. Track is a different story but these can even be used lightly on the track. HPS is a low dust pad, WAY better then GM's junk. No pad is DUSTLESS despite what they say.

Regulator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I did Akebono ceramic's on both the front and rear of my JE5 package. They work very well for my commuting purposes. Why can't you locate the Akebono's for the front? I believe I had to go to elsewhere besides tirerack to get them.
    Very low dust.

Do a search to locate the correct model pad...I think I got mine from rockauto

pgw85706 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '05 STS V6

I have Akebono's all the way around also on my '05 V6 and am pleased with the braking and low dust. I especially notice the absence of staining on the chrome rims as compared to the OEM pads. I buy my brake parts at www.placeforbrakes.com

coati is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just installed EBC Red Stuff ceramic brake pads (front & rear) on my '06 STS w/Northstar (1SG) along with Disc Italia drilled & slotted rotors.
    Decided to finally paint the calipers red with G2 Epoxy caliper paint.
    Thus far am very happy with the stopping ability of the pads and look of the rotors & calipers.
    Pretty low dusting once "broken-in".
    I like them better than the Akebonos (good pads, durable & low dust) which I had up front before the brake pad change.
    Also did a tire change and went from Goodyear ResponseEdge to Goodyear F1 Asymmetric (255/45/18) all the way around.
    They are a great tire.
    Much better than the OEM Michelins and Goodyear ResponseEdge in ride, braking and wet/dry weather traction.
    Attached Images

Thank you guys for your contributions.

I think I will go with Hawk HPS for front.

I am still not sure abour rear pads but might go with akebono ceramic .

But EBC Red Stuff looks interesting too.

Might do more research before ordering tomorrow.

M.A.C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-V8

As far as aftermarket, NAPA brake pads and rotors are also good. I put their Adaptive One brakes and Ultra Premium rotors on the front of my '94 Eldorado and they worked very well. If you research their rotors you will find a lot of good reviews. The rotors have a lifetime guarantee for warping.

rnkath08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 v8

I went with Hawk HPS on the fronts and Street Performance on the rears, actually had a good chat with Mike at Raceshopper which is only an hour from my house and he recommended the pair up saying the rears would be a very close composite and perfomance to the Hawks. I have not been disappointed in the least. I can't say they're dust free, but damn close and I can stop on a dime. Love them. Someone says they hear a noise with their Hawks, but I can't say I've heard anything, then again maybe the Corsa masks it? Either way, I wouldn't change pads for anything.
    Good luck!

I just have one more question, what is the difference between JE5 and JL9 brake pads? Because most of the rear brake pads are made for JL9 !

coati is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Totti808 View Post
    I just have one more question, what is the difference between JE5 and JL9 brake pads? Because most of the rear brake pads are made for JL9 !
    More than likely the JE5 pads are a bit larger than the JL9 and won't be interchangeable.
    My '06 STS uses JE5 pads but the online auto parts company mistakenly sent STS V-Series front pads which are larger and won't fit.
    The STS's use either STS-V, JE5 or JL9 pads (highest performance, high performance & regular).

I ordered Hawk HPS for the front brakes.

More than likely the JE5 pads are a bit larger than the JL9 and won't be interchangeable.
    My '06 STS uses JE5 pads but the online auto parts company mistakenly sent STS V-Series front pads which are larger and won't fit.
    The STS's use either STS-V, JE5 or JL9 pads (highest performance, high performance & regular).
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by rnkath08 View Post
    I went with Hawk HPS on the fronts and Street Performance on the rears, actually had a good chat with Mike at Raceshopper which is only an hour from my house and he recommended the pair up saying the rears would be a very close composite and perfomance to the Hawks.
    Is Street Performance a brand name? or do you mean Hawk Street Performance?

I am still looking for rear brake pads to go with the Hawk HPS on the front. Any suggestion for a good combination?

I just wonder why Hawk only makes front brakes pads for JE5 and not for the rears!!!

rnkath08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 v8

Yes I think Street Performance is the brand on the rears, just dug thru my file, only to find the receipt of what I paid, not the item #s, but why not just call them? Ask for Mike, he was great when I spoke to him. It's Raceshopper/Best Brake in Syracuse, NY
    I know I found the phone number on this forum somewhere at the time, but I'm sure 411 can get it as well.
    Good luck!

R1chard is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG (GONE!)

Quote Originally Posted by rnkath08 View Post
    Yes I think Street Performance is the brand on the rears, just dug thru my file, only to find the receipt of what I paid, not the item #s, but why not just call them? Ask for Mike, he was great when I spoke to him. It's Raceshopper/Best Brake in Syracuse, NY
    I know I found the phone number on this forum somewhere at the time, but I'm sure 411 can get it as well.
    Good luck!
    http://www.raceshopper.com/
    1-800-733-8380 - Order Line
    8am-7pm EST
    315-295-0417 - Tech Line

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.