STS Navigation Disk - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, STS Navigation Disk in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Big thanks to Curt, we swapped discs and both are set to navigate locally...but seriously I don't understand why these ...
    rnkath08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 v8

Re: STS Navigation Disk

Big thanks to Curt, we swapped discs and both are set to navigate locally...but seriously I don't understand why these cars only came with navigation for half the country! What did the folks in the middle do? What about people who drive all over the place? Just frustrating, that if I do plan to cross the line at some point, I'll need to bring a garmin or phone program along as well.....I'd have thought cadillac would've been better than that...maybe now they are, but certainly not free to upgrade. I love my car, but honestly don't feel much love from Cadillac when there are issues...I'd have thought they'd value customer loyalty more than they appear to.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    What are you talking about?

The early discs (05-07) are 1 disc which covered the whole continental US

Later (08-11) were 2 disc. AGAIN they covered everything between the two and ONLY came as a set. One for east one for west with an OVERLAP of the middle region.

The final 2 discs (12-13) were 2 disc merged into one and again covered everything on a single disc.

If you plan on bitching get your facts straight.

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

My understanding from GM was that sets which have east and west discs have the entire map set on each but POI's are specific to an east or west region. If you aren't planning to navigate to a POI, it doesn't matter which disc you use.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

If you live in Alaska it doesn't matter because there is no POI data for Alaska on either disc; map data only.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

There's a lot of POI overlap between disks, too. The West disk has all but the Atlantic Coast State POI's. The East disk POI's stop at the Mississippi. Both have all the maps. The case includes 'liner notes' EULA, etc. in English & French.

rnkath08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 v8

sorry, I do have my facts straight. The disc we have clearly say West/Canada or East/Canada...or perhaps I have the only non-correct disc ever made? I couldn't get any data to navigate thru the Delaware/Pa area on the disc which was the version 7.0 upgrade for my 06. There may be a map feature, but I needed the driving directions not just a map to look at. Many of us got our caddy's with only 1 disc included. Not sure as to why.
    Wow...onebadcad..you sound like a real charmer.....I've had my car since 08, only needed to use the nav 2x so it's not like a big showstopper...but just seems odd. Then you add to the oddness the high cost of nav upgrades or replacement and I find it suprizing.
    That's why I don't say much anymore...Love EChas and Curt and a few others we've had great chats with, but have little to no patience for trolls and drama. Happy cruisin' everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by rnkath08
    sorry, I do have my facts straight. The disc we have clearly say West/Canada or East/Canada...or perhaps I have the only non-correct disc ever made? I couldn't get any data to navigate thru the Delaware/Pa area on the disc which was the version 7.0 upgrade for my 06. There may be a map feature, but I needed the driving directions not just a map to look at. Many of us got our caddy's with only 1 disc included. Not sure as to why.
    Wow...onebadcad..you sound like a real charmer.....I've had my car since 08, only needed to use the nav 2x so it's not like a big showstopper...but just seems odd. Then you add to the oddness the high cost of nav upgrades or replacement and I find it suprizing.
    That's why I don't say much anymore...Love EChas and Curt and a few others we've had great chats with, but have little to no patience for trolls and drama. Happy cruisin' everyone...
    Oh I can be. Especially to people who make worthless rants bitching about something they are cleary completely and totally ignorant about.

Buy a new disc and you have the whole wide continental US all on one!

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

'8 - He could have chosen a name like CaddyCharmer, but that would have been false advertising; wouldn't it?

Pick your destination by browsing the Nav map or GPS location (Latitude & Longitude):

Navigating without POI's.jpg

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

on a side note do you think there will be a 2014 disc or it will stop at 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by mjcaddy View Post
    on a side note do you think there will be a 2014 disc or it will stop at 2013?
    I've been watching closely as well. I can tell you my opinion... and hopefully GM Customer Service takes note... The same disc is used right up until the 2011 model year. With the kind of dollars GM charges for factory installed navigation, I'd be fuming mad if updates were discontinued 2 years after my model year. In fact, even though I have a 2008, I'll still be very annoyed if there are no further releases.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder
    I've been watching closely as well. I can tell you my opinion... and hopefully GM Customer Service takes note... The same disc is used right up until the 2011 model year. With the kind of dollars GM charges for factory installed navigation, I'd be fuming mad if updates were discontinued 2 years after my model year. In fact, even though I have a 2008, I'll still be very annoyed if there are no further releases.
    I can assure you 2013 is the last. Once they stop producing a car that uses the nav (2013 c6 vette) they stop updating.

How do you think they feel?

mjcaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 1SG STS4, 05 V6 SRX4 (retired 03 DeVille)

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS View Post
    I can assure you 2013 is the last. Once they stop producing a car that uses the nav (2013 c6 vette) they stop updating.

How do you think they feel?
    I've heard that before, they tie it to the last MY of that unit made , which is sux, not sure of the copyright issues if a 3rd party (or 4th or whatever) decided to keep releasing updates for these units, lets just hope.

While that may be the general thought, I'm not entirely convinced. Take for example the 2006 Escalade. This disc is shared with a number of other vehicles, the most recent of which is a 2010 Hummer. The current disc available is a 2012 which is two years newer than the most recent vehicle is supports. I'm going to wait and see what happens... Hopefully I won't end up disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by ddalder
    While that may be the general thought, I'm not entirely convinced. Take for example the 2006 Escalade. This disc is shared with a number of other vehicles, the most recent of which is a 2010 Hummer. The current disc available is a 2012 which is two years newer than the most recent vehicle is supports. I'm going to wait and see what happens... Hopefully I won't end up disappointed.
    I BELIEVE don't quote me they used that disc in the Acadia Traverse Silverado Serria Yukon etc as well which lingered on until it got the GMC version of Cadillac Cue and Chevy MyLink in 2013.

If you go to gmnavdisc.com and select a vehicle it will show all others that use the same disc. I don't recall seeing those on that list but I'd have to look again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.