Pda smartphone bluetooth + sts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Pda smartphone bluetooth + sts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i was wondering, since the sts has bluetooth capabilities and can connect wirelessly with the phone and transfer contacts and ...
    mikey1026 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

Pda smartphone bluetooth + sts

i was wondering, since the sts has bluetooth capabilities and can connect wirelessly with the phone and transfer contacts and whatnot, is there a way to wirelessly stream music via bluetooth from pda's (palm treos, blackberrys, etc) to the cadillac sts equipped w. nav/bluetooth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MacMuse is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS N* 1SE

Re: Pda smartphone bluetooth + sts

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1026 View Post
    i was wondering, since the sts has bluetooth capabilities and can connect wirelessly with the phone and transfer contacts and whatnot, is there a way to wirelessly stream music via bluetooth from pda's (palm treos, blackberrys, etc) to the cadillac sts equipped w. nav/bluetooth?
    no, not yet. Bluetooth is wireless network technology made up of several different subsets of rules called 'profiles'. Each profile covers a different common usage of the underlying Bluetooth technology.

For example, the A2DP profile is designed for high quality stereo audio. Therefore wireless headphones support the A2DP profile, but not VDP profile which supports video transfers.

Telephones usually support the HSP (Headset) and/or HFP (Hands free) profiles for use with headsets. These support low quality mono audio best suited for phones and a microphone for 2-way communication.

Cadillac bluetooth (through 2010, as far as I know) only support the HSP/HFP profiles. So when your music player wants to stream music over Bluetooth, the STS doesn't know how to listen. This will probably change in future car models as Bluetooth becomes a more entrenched consumer technology, but updating existing installed systems - even though it's just a software update - is highly unlikely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

mikey1026 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

wow very useful info thanks MacMuse

althought if the sts could listen to bluetooth streamed music it would be bad ass lol

Paul_A/V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4

Quote Originally Posted by MacMuse View Post
    ...Cadillac bluetooth (through 2010, as far as I know) only support the HSP/HFP profiles. So when your music player wants to stream music over Bluetooth, the STS doesn't know how to listen. This will probably change in future car models as Bluetooth becomes a more entrenched consumer technology, but updating existing installed systems - even though it's just a software update - is highly unlikely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile
    Any possibility of an available Bluetooth software update for a 2005 STS that adds support for A2DP?

idkwhothatis123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS W/ Premium Package
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_A/V View Post
    Any possibility of an available Bluetooth software update for a 2005 STS that adds support for A2DP?
    I bought an adapter off of amazon to make it work. 15 bucks after shipping. Its plugged into my RCA in the center console with a y-cable. Works flawlessly

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Upac STS with blustar. Adds a2dp and I can voice dial phone phone contact list. Actually understands what I say.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.