Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering wheel lights

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Maximln 
#1 ·
I only have one button on my steering wheel lighting up the volume button comes on when I hit the back of the steering wheel has anyone had this problem and is it a easy fix without having to take apart the front of the steering wheel help appreciated.

#2 ·
I can only give you a partial answer. You have to remove the airbag in order to get to the switch assembly. I recently replaced my wheel and had to exchange the switch assembly as one piece. Removing the airbag is not difficult. Then there are 4 screws that hold the switches in place. After you unplug the connector, you can remove the individual switches, etc. It's possible the plug isn't seated, or worse yet, that the column end of the wire has a break in it. Unlike a lot of cars, the STS doesn't use a slip ring, fiber optic cable, or a clockspring. The wire from the column actually twists everytime you turn the wheel.

#5 ·
The airbag removal is easy once you figure out how it is held on--it took me a while. It is held on with spring clips rather than screws. You need to insert a medium flat blade screw driver into the holes (which are actually slots) and then twist to release the spring. You will get the hang of it quickly. The biggest challenge is to get the orientation of the slot figured out. I can't answer you as far as the lights, but I'm guessing that they are not serviceable separately--could be wrong though.

#6 ·
I would imagine that they are the same as they were on my 98 STS. The bulbs are internal to the switches and are not serviceable. The entire switch has to be replaced but they were not very expensive. If I remember right, they were around $30 for each switch. I had to replace them several times on the 98.

Max

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.