Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

111K views 317 replies 55 participants last post by  DB05 
#1 ·
Well all you who thought that Polarbear05 was trying to pull a fast one on us were WRONG.

Adding a OEM NAV to a STS that did not come with a NAV is 100% possible and it is completely plug and play.

The non NAV STS's have only two wiring harnesses. The NAV STS has four. The first two on both vehicles are the exact same. They include all of the power/ground and all the speaker wires. The other two connectors that are not present on the non NAV STS are for voice recognition and A/V inputs/outputs.

I am getting the other two plugs (the ones that the non NAV STS does not have) and I am going to wire something up to be able to get A/V inputs/outputs.

On top of that my IPac AUX input works on the NAV too.

The employees at my local Cadillac dealer were in amazement when I went to get the NAV unlocked today. I had 10-15 of them all standing in a circle around me asking me questions.

So the bottom line is that you CAN add a Cadillac NAV to a non NAV STS. It is plug and play. All the door chimes and everything else works perfect. The only thing you will not have that a STS that comes with NAV has is the VR and the A/V inputs/outputs, and if you can get a hold of some connectors (some NAV's on Ebay come with them) you can wire that up too.

I dont know how everyone elses locks when in drive but mine locks DVD when put in drive. Haven't tried the NAV yet as I am waiting on the antenna.
BUT, on the stock radio you cannot try to change the vehicle settings (remote start, memory seats, etc) when the car is going over like 5mph.

On the NAV I have now NOTHING is disabled or grayed out when the vehicle is in motion. I can change the settings and everything. Is this how everyone else NAV works?

Anyways HERE IS THE PROOF!!! I havent posted a Youtube video on here yet so this may not come out right.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/69MeQX2Jvf8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/69MeQX2Jvf8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

See less See more
1 9
#3 ·
Yes the nav and DVD player is all one part just like the stock radio and the 6disc is all one part. The very bottom of the nav is where it meets the top of the a/c heater control.

I haven't tried the onstar on the nav yet, but the onstar on the mirror still works. And I have connected my IPhone to the nav via bluetooth. You can hear the caller but they cannot hear you. This is so because I do not yet have a microphone hooked up. I will eventually though.

The regular radio A/M F/M antenna is the same and works on the nav. But the nav has a GPS antenna that is for the navigation only. The regular radio does not have this because it has no navigation. I have one on the way and am pretty sure I know how to mount it just like the factory.

#5 ·
Remarkable! Now if only the Denso Nav was any good. It is so awkard to use compared to a $ 250 Garmin. If you can make an input while the car is moving you have one up on the stock installation! I was reminded again to day how stupid it is that I cannot dial a cell phone call while the car is moving, even from memory or last 10. THat along with the fact I cannot download my phone book from my I phone. I have that skreatching sound on the first cell phone call too. Doesn't seem as anyone has found a fix.

#6 ·
That swhat I was saying about it not being "as locked" as ones that come from the factory with nav. I can dial a call scroll through XM catagories, change vehicle settings, all why going 50mph on the freeway.

However,

I cannot watch DVD's while moving and I havent tried the nav yet because I am still trying to burn the nav disc.

#9 ·
The blue tooth I haven't figured out yet, but I plan on doing so when my GPS antenna and NAV disc gets here. I am working on that part. I know for a FACT that me and three other people have done it. We were all talking back and fourth about it for some time.

All you need is a navigation unit (ebay) and a GPS antenna. Some of the NAV's on ebay come with the wiring harnesses still in them, they just cut them. If you get one like that you can just order a $30 NAV antenna on ebay and splice it to the wire sticking out of the back of the GPS (pink) connector. If you do not get one with the cut wiring harnesses on the back you have to order one from a GM parts website. They run around $100 ($180 from a dealer)

Thats all you need to have the NAV, XM, AM/FM, CD (6disc if equipped).

Polarbear05 made a thread saying he had a friend do his. Not too many people believed him though. I dont blame them. When I went to have the NAV unlocked at my local Cadillac dealer I had 10 of the techs and service people standing around me going ohhhhh ahhhhhh woooooowwwwww. They couldn't believe it. They all thought for sure it was not going to work and even told me "if it doesn't unlock you still have to pay for it, we're telling you you cant just add a nav like that".

They say the wiring is not there. n one hand they are right and on the other they are wrong. The non nav STS has two wirng harnesses. The nav sts has four. The two that the non nav STS has are the SAME EXACT wires as the nav sts. The other two harnesses that the nav sts has that the non nav one doesnt are for voice recognition and A/V in/out.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO INSTALL NAV INTO A NON NAV STS IS:

Take your stock radio out.
Unplug the two harnesses and the am/fm antenna.
Plug the two harnesses into the nav.
Plug the antenna into the top am/fm antenna connector.
Pop the dash panel by the windshield up and run the GPS antenna connector through to the NAV/radio location.
Plug (or splice) the GPS antenna into the pink connector on the back of the NAV.
Reinstall the NAV.

Whola there you go. Its plug and play.

After that if you feel more adventurous you can get some connectors if your nav didn't come with them and wire in some A/V inputs.

I can connect my IPhone to the nav and make calls with it, but no one can hear me and I cant hear anyone. I have the wiring diagrams (I posted them in Polarbear05's thread), so I am 90% sure that i can get it to work.

#12 ·
The XM module is in the trunk. Im not sure about the antenna. I am pretty sure it is the one on the roof. If you look at the Alldata sheet for the XM it says the module is in the trunk then shows the harness going to the antenna on the roof.

The only think you would have to do is call XM and give them your new radio ID number. I had XM, but hated it so I am not switching over to the new radio (NAV).

I use the XM now to listen to my IPod on my Ipac auxillary input module.

There are only three places for a antenna on the back of the NAV. One is for the A/M F/M antenna, then the GPS, then the TV antenna. I have read the pin outs and the XM wires are included and the same in the first two connectors.

I know the XM is on because when I first turned on the NAV I did not have the Ipac aux hooked up. When I switched it to XM it did the same thing my radio would do before I had a subscription. It was getting signal, there just was no service.

#14 ·
If it comes with XM it has the module. In order to have XM on the NAV, you must have already have XM before on your radio.

On Alldata anything XM is refered to as "digital Radio"

Here is the procedure to program the XM module after replacing it, and then below that is the procedure to replace the XM module.

DIGITAL RADIO RECEIVER SETUP

IMPORTANT: The Digital Radio Receiver Setup option does not contain a submenu. Digital radio receiver setup will configure the following systems:

* DTCs
* Class 2 radio messages

For the digital radio receiver, complete the following procedure with the key in the ON position. Use a scan tool in order to properly set up communication:

1. At the Main Menu screen, select Diagnostics.
2. At the Vehicle Identification screen, select the following options:

1. Model Year
2. Vehicle Line
3. At the System Selection Menu screen, select Body.
4. At the Vehicle Identification screen, select the following:

1. Platform Type
2. Body Type

5. At the Body screen, select Digital Radio Receiver.
6. Select Special Functions.
7. At the Special Functions screen, select DRR Setup. XM Activation

1. Turn the radio on, tune to the XM channel 0, and record the Radio ID.The Radio ID will be needed for activation of the new receiver. IMPORTANT: After replacement of an XM Radio receiver, call XM Radio to deactivate the receiver that has been removed from the vehicle and activate the new XM Radio receiver. The vehicle must be parked in view of a satellite within 24 hours after an activation call.
2. Call XM Radio at 1-800-556-3600 to deactivate the faulty receiver and activate the new receiver.
3. Park the vehicle outside in an area with an unobstructed view of the southern sky.
4. Leave the vehicle outside with the ignition switch in the Run position and the radio on for 20 minutes to activate XM service.
5. Once activated the radio will receive the remaining XM Radio channels.

#19 ·
GOOD JOB MAN :banana:

It's nice to see folks really digging into these cars and doing things that "can't be done"!

I think I read that the nav input is tied into the GPS signal but you would think that the DVD player would also work since your nav "thinks" the car is sitting still without an antenna...

Maybe there is a speedometer signal for the DVD and a GPS signal for the nav...

Anyway. Great job! Now put a HUD in and tell us how you did it :D

#23 ·
I have rented over 15 2008-2009 STS from Avis, Thrifty, Hertz, and National. EVERYONE had XM. NONE had nav. From my experience, when you rent nicer cars they usually have things like XM, Onstar, etc. And they put cards where you can easily find them telling you how to use it. (usually people steal these cards.) I got the impression that the car manufacturer does this in hopes that you will like it and want to buy one.

From my understanding, putting a XM equipped nav in will not give you XM. You would need the XM module and the XM antenna (or harness to roof antenna).

While Im sure you could add XM. I have no idea how hard it would be and how much $ it would cost.

#28 ·
Fleets will do funny things to save a buck. Also, XM is not available in Hawaii, parts of Canada, and Alaska and until recently neither was Onstar so GM has rpo UEO to delete Onstar, and U2J to delete XM. Some of you may have read that untill recently GM even had a side airbag delete option (aka the Enterprise fiasco). When these cars hit the used car market, owners will wind up with some strange combinations.

#25 ·
I will be hooking up the NAV antenna when it gets delivered to me sometime later on in the week. I have dont alot of research on this and according to Alldata it will not be very hard.

As soon as I get it and put it in I will post pics and how to.

#29 ·
OK I got my NAV disc today, but am still waiting on the antenna.

Know whats wired? I read in another post somewhere about people wondering if we have a gyro in the STS.

Well we must have because the NAV still has no idea where I am or that I'm moving, but when I turn it turns the map with me. HAS to be the gyro.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWg6MX0e1jE&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWg6MX0e1jE&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

#30 ·
OK I got my NAV disc today, but am still waiting on the antenna.

Know whats wired? I read in another post somewhere about people wondering if we have a gyro in the STS.

Well we must have because the NAV still has no idea where I am or that I'm moving, but when I turn it turns the map with me. HAS to be the gyro.
Pretty neat. So does your nav still think it's in the place it was when the antenna was removed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.