Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I seached and couldn't find if anyone has retrofitted the input jacks in the console, OEM style. There are several ...
    knappy75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS V8

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

I seached and couldn't find if anyone has retrofitted the input jacks in the console, OEM style. There are several on E-bay with the entire console. Question-is the portion of wiring to hook up the A/V already below the console? I just added OEM bluetooth and a subwoofer to my King Ranch, and Ford puts the wiring in on a lot of things, even if you don't have that option. But I guess if that was already there, then the other two connectors would be behind the dash, just tucked away, right?

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

I did.

The module (the RCA part) is about $70-80 if I remember right. You can, and its better to imo, buy a complete console from ebay for about the same price. I got a complete STS console from a NAV STS and it was $75 after shipping.

This gives you the module, the console liner that has the hole cut in it to put the module in, and the wiring all the way to right below the NAV.

If you take the console you can strip it down and seperate the wiring and you will have the liner out, and the module with the connector on the back, then the wiring for the module all the way to right below the NAV.

You still need the 10 pin black NAV connector.

The wiring is not there for that on a non NAV STS.

The console is a PITA to take apart. There are rivets and all kinds of stuff. I ended up paying a Caddy tech $50 to take the NAV console liner I had and put it in my car. He said he wished he hadnt said he would do it. Even for him at a Caddy dealer he said it was a PITA.

I tried hooking up RCA's to the 10 pin NAV connector and trying different things with the module detect wire but it wouldnt work. Its not goodd to cut and wire RCA's anyways but even if you do it wont work. You need that RCA module. In other words, in a NAV STS console, the RCA jacks are not just jacks. Its a module and the NAV has a wire that knows whether its there or not.

One more thing to all this.

If you want your NAV GPS to work you HAVE TO HOOK UP a VSS wire. I know of 3 or 4 of us who did it and the NAV will get stuck facing east alot of you dont.

The VSS wire is a wire that goes from the ECM to the rearview to the backup sensor module.

If you buy a lockpick you will have the brownish red connector and you can just cut the wire (I think its pin 15) and run a wire to the trunk where the rear parking assist module is. On that module there is a dark brown wire and you tie your wire into that one.

When you do that the GPS will work correctly.

Another thing, which I dont know why is that with out the VSS hooked up the NAV will not display the street name you are on at the bottom of the screen.

When you hook the VSS up it will.

So lets get a list together so everyone knows.

If you just want the NAV to work so you can watch DVDs or whatever all you need is the NAV. Just plug it up and it will work.

If you want the GPS to work you will need the GPS antenna and a VSS wire. You need the brownish red connector to wire the VSS wire. You can get this by buying a lockpick.

If you want the RCA inputs to work you need the RCA module that goes in the console. If you want the RCAs in the console you need the console liner that has the hole in it. Or I guess you could cut yours.

If you want BT to work..... I dunno. On the older CTS's (as shown on CaddyFAQ) you just have to switch some pins between the NAV, VCIM, and the Bose amp. I spent a couple hours checking this out on the STS and all the wiring is in the right place. So... VCIM reflash? I dunno. Ill go try it whenever I get time.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

The VCIM has to have bluetooth built into it... people have been buying bluetooth VCIMs for other cars - if all you want is the bluetooth then that usually just works but you may need a programming
    being that you're mixing NAV into the mix I would guess that a reprogramming will probably be necessary
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Chris, thanks for the info. And LAC, thanks for the writeups. I really appreciate the help. I have every intention of doing this retrofit as correctly as I can. But I have to be honest, I am really looking for the bluetooth and Nav over anything else. I'm not really a lockpick guy, have had one before, but don't really watch anything on it. My wife and I take a lot of road trips; hence the reason for the Caddy purchase. I don't really have to have the A/V inputs either, and after hearing from LAC and STS about that, I don't think I want to get into console removal.

OK, that said, let me throw another question in. Chris, you are speaking of a VCIM flash; frankly, I don't know if I want to fight with my only dealer in town about this. I'd rather try to find a different VCIM, but don't know if there are different ones with different options, or do I need just one from a nav car. *****Question-can I buy an aftermarket bluetooth (Galaxy or a couple of others I have seen on here that are plugnplay), and add Nav, and both work? In theory it would-adding a bluetooth to the VCIM in the trunk adds bluetooth. Adding Nav gets me my navigation system. I'm thinking $500 or so for the Nav, and $250 or so for the bluetooth. Minimal labor, really just plugnplay, with exception of VSS wire. What do you guys think?

Also, LAC-can I PM you sometime after I earn my privilege, to get more info about the VSS wire? I would appreciate it.

Eric

Chris, I re-read your post and I think you may have answered my question about adding both-VCIM flash mandatory, or changing it out at least. I'm going to my dealer in a matter of a couple of hours, and I guess I need to have a sit down and chat.

Also-STS, got your PM. Although I received it, I can't respond to it yet. Maybe me blowing up this thread will earn my privilege. Haha.

The lockpick is not just for watching movies. The STS NAV locks out almost all GPS functions while moving.

So your gonna have to pull over and stop if you want to change your gps course or look up stuff.

Also if you don't buy a lockpick your gonna have to find the brownish red connector. You need it to hook up a VSS wire. If you don't hook it up your GPS map screen will keep getting stuck facing east.

dealers will think you're loony if you mention the VCIM reflash
    first, to be clear it's only needed if you do get another VCIM that came in another car
    there is no way to turn your VCIM into a bluetooth VCIM
    the bluetooth VCIM will look almost exactly the same but have one more connector on it that the bluetooth antenna (small little thing) plugs onto - it looks just like the other connectors that go to your onstar antenna etc

so if you want to get bluetooth you'll need to get a new VCIM (used really... there's no way to get a new one since the new one will be just the same as the one you have now)

if you want to keep OnStar then you'll need to get it re-flashed (and this can be hard - only one or two people have had success)
    but most of the time the bluetooth will just work - unless your VCIM didn't come with the bluetooth antenna and you didn't install one - that's a pretty basic problem

if you add a nav system that throws another wrench into the equation but might actually help you out
    they will have to do some programming of your new nav unit at a dealer to program various options specific to your vehicle
    at that point you might be able to get them to do a similar programming to the VCIM - it would be the best time since the person who just programmed the nav will know about all the options your car has plus the ones that were just added (the nav and bluetooth)

just going into a dealer and asking for a VCIM reprogramming will probably not get you very far
    but asking for them to program your nav unit you just installed (and then program the VCIM to match it..) that might work out

and now that i realize we're talking about Sevilles not Escalades i'm kind of unsure about all of this since the trucks have an 'approved' nav upgrade
    ... but i trust LAC - i would defer all technical specifics in his direction

good luck
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Ah, my first GPS (that I can remember, both OEM and aftermarket) that won't let you change things while driving. Not cool. I didn't know that. I guess I need to put the lockpick on the list....

Quote Originally Posted by knappy75 View Post
    Ah, my first GPS (that I can remember, both OEM and aftermarket) that won't let you change things while driving. Not cool. I didn't know that. I guess I need to put the lockpick on the list....
    Yea IMHO it's more dangerous having to pull over off the interstate to change something then looking at the NAV to do it.

Chris, I'm glad I read your post before I visited the dealership. I spoke to the same guy I had talked to yesterday. I just told him I would have the Nav unit installed soon, and would need it flashed. He said $90 bucks and no bid deal...amazing if you ask the right questions I guess.

I have a couple more questions if you guys are up to it. And if you're ever in OK, I'd buy a round...

1. I am assuming since I don't have bluetooth, that I won't have a bluetooth antenna. I hadn't read about this previously. It is mounted in the trunk area, coming out from the VCIM? I guess I will need to find one of those?
    2. Are there just really two types of VCIM's out there-one "with" all of the goodies, and one "without"? Do I need a specific part#, or just one that came from a nav car-where I don't have to worry about if the donor car had this and not this, or that option but not this option. If you know what I mean.

OK, so my part list is now-Nav unit, GPS antenna, lockpick, bluetooth antenna, and VCIM from donor vehicle. What do you guys think?

What antenna? Do you mean for your phone to connect to the NAV? It's built into the NAV.

I can connect my phone to my NAV and make a call. The person I call can hear me but I can't hear them.

That's the problem. The mic in the rearview will work and route your voice through the VCIM to the NAV but it will not route the callers voice to the Bose amp.

You can test this by either tapping on the mic on the rear view and seeing if the caller can hear your taps. Or if you go into the NAV diagnostic screen you can go to bt check. There are two options in bt check. I forget the exact wording they call them but one tests the mic and shows you a signal bar. If you talk or tap the mic you can see the bar go up.

The other tests the output. Or the voice playing over the speakers. It says something and your supposed to hear it. I dunno what it says because of course I can't hear it.

What did you ask him to flash? The NAV? Or the VCIM?

You don't need the NAV flashed. You need your VCIM flashed. I don't think you need a new VCIM either. You just need to find a STS with the same options as yours but with nav and get the VIN. You can get it from cars.com

Then take that VIN to them and have them flash it.

The only thing to flash on the NAV itself is the firmware. I got mine updated and it really doesn't do anything. The release notes and the tsb say it improves bt and vr.

If the nav has a bluetooth antenna in it then that's good (the truck nav systems don't and the vcim in those cars has the bluetooth antenna mount directly onto the vcim - IF the car has the bluetooth option)

there's more than just two vcim's but there's basically two styles (with and w/o bluetooth)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.