Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

111K views 317 replies 55 participants last post by  DB05 
#1 ·
Well all you who thought that Polarbear05 was trying to pull a fast one on us were WRONG.

Adding a OEM NAV to a STS that did not come with a NAV is 100% possible and it is completely plug and play.

The non NAV STS's have only two wiring harnesses. The NAV STS has four. The first two on both vehicles are the exact same. They include all of the power/ground and all the speaker wires. The other two connectors that are not present on the non NAV STS are for voice recognition and A/V inputs/outputs.

I am getting the other two plugs (the ones that the non NAV STS does not have) and I am going to wire something up to be able to get A/V inputs/outputs.

On top of that my IPac AUX input works on the NAV too.

The employees at my local Cadillac dealer were in amazement when I went to get the NAV unlocked today. I had 10-15 of them all standing in a circle around me asking me questions.

So the bottom line is that you CAN add a Cadillac NAV to a non NAV STS. It is plug and play. All the door chimes and everything else works perfect. The only thing you will not have that a STS that comes with NAV has is the VR and the A/V inputs/outputs, and if you can get a hold of some connectors (some NAV's on Ebay come with them) you can wire that up too.

I dont know how everyone elses locks when in drive but mine locks DVD when put in drive. Haven't tried the NAV yet as I am waiting on the antenna.
BUT, on the stock radio you cannot try to change the vehicle settings (remote start, memory seats, etc) when the car is going over like 5mph.

On the NAV I have now NOTHING is disabled or grayed out when the vehicle is in motion. I can change the settings and everything. Is this how everyone else NAV works?

Anyways HERE IS THE PROOF!!! I havent posted a Youtube video on here yet so this may not come out right.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/69MeQX2Jvf8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/69MeQX2Jvf8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

See less See more
1 9
#255 ·
Hey guys, first off thanks for all the info posted in here, as I have just installed the navigation in my non nav 06. One question I didn't see here is, that as I'm waiting for my lockpick, so I Havnt tied in the vss wire as of yet, the GPS picked me right up, everything seems to be working fine expect, and I'm not sure if this is due to not havin the vss tied in yet or not. But when I put the map onto direction up, the full screen/map keeps on spinning, almost as if the gyro is screwed up? Or is it just not having the vss wire not tied in yet, I also Havnt really driven much since installing the GPS antenna, is it normal to behave like this until it calibrates ? Thanks in advance again guys. Ken

#256 ·
Navigation system relies on the VSS signal to move you along on the map. Without the VSS connected you will only spin in circles on the MAP. This is completely normal.

#258 ·
Your unit will be built and tested over the weekend and will ship on Monday. Thanks!

#260 ·
Sorry, I did build your unit over the weekend as planned but ran short of time Sunday evening to fully test it. I planned to have it tested Monday morning but had an issue which kept me out of the office the past two days. It was tested today and will ship tomorrow since USPS already passed. Sorry for the delay.

#263 ·
Ok, so I just installed my lockpick (thanks Tomm) and tied in the VSS wire, I tied it in at the passenger dash panel, but my gps is still stuck facing east and I still have no street name showing up. Is there something I need to do to reset it, and has anyone has tied into the same spot to confirm it is in fact the vss?

#264 ·
Ugh, seriously, someone should take me out back and shoot me. Problem solved.......I guess if you wire the VSS wire to the Wrong side, dead connector on the other side of the relay....I guess it wont work huh....lol, scary thing is I wire high rise commercial fire and security systems for a living.

#266 ·
You should not be tapping into the lockpick harness at all. You should be adding the VSS directly to the original harness in your vehicle.

#269 ·
Your vehicle is different than those previously being discussed. Non-navigation Bluetooth equipped vehicles have a different OnStar (VCIM) module that provides this functionality. You will not have the correct wiring harness to drop in navigation without some other changes. You will also end up with a conflict between the navigation radio (which is the component that typically provides Bluetooth functionality) and the existing OnStar module.

#270 ·
Hi everyone Im new here & have read this thred completely. Very informative. Im hoping i can get someone to post a step by step on the install in on post so as i can follow it . searching the thred for different info is tough. Here is my situation. I have a 2008 STS Base Non Nav. I have ordered a oem Nav for the 08-11 series. I also ordered the gps antenna with the pink connector. All should be here in the next couple of days. Please post the steps & what functions I can expect not to have. Thank You All.

#272 ·
Can anyone help me? I have a non nav 2008 sts with mute button. I installed a nav unit & gps antenna. All works fine. I want to connec the vss wire I think I know where to tap it in to car harness But how do i attach it to nav unit? Do i need the lockpic for this as the other 2 plugs are not there? I am interested in the lock pick anyway. My nav seems to work fine without the vss wire except map freezes when gps signal is lost. With new gps antenna location this is not often. Also my gps input options go away as i start moving. not sure y this is since not sure how it knows im moving without the vss hooked up.

#274 ·
Jeff,

I believe the plug pin outs are listed in this thread as well. You could just solder a wire to the correct pin in the back of the nav, and then put some heat wrap tubing over it and shrink it for a tight fit.

Or, if you can find the pig tail for the nav unit, you could then just splice into that. I personally plan on doing the solder and shrink tube, but just haven't gotten around to it.

matt

#276 ·
Page 3, post 36 shows all four connectors on the back of the nav unit. The last connector shows the Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire as being pin 15 in that connector. I do believe the lock pick will come with that connector on it however, so you could go that route also and splice inot the wire.

#277 ·
Thank you orange57 that is just the info ive been looking for. Now 1 more question. Do you know how I could hook up a back up camera to the aux. I would think to connect power & ground for the camera at the rear back up light but ic there only 1 wire to connect to the nav unit such as the plug #1 Aux video high signal #14?

#278 ·
The auxillary is regular analog video, so it will work.

I recall one member following-through on a back-up camera. Most find it too much trouble to use.

It will be necessary to engage the Lockpick and select Aux Input each time you want to view the camera.

#284 ·
I'm not sure the origin of this comment. I know my Lockpick enables all Nav & DVD functions regardless of the shifter setting. I don't see why the newer one used for 2008 & up wouldn't provide the 'Park' signal to the Nav, even when in reverse.

Tomm has been real busy but I know he monitors the Lockpick thread. I recommend posting over there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.