Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

111K views 317 replies 55 participants last post by  DB05 
#1 ·
Well all you who thought that Polarbear05 was trying to pull a fast one on us were WRONG.

Adding a OEM NAV to a STS that did not come with a NAV is 100% possible and it is completely plug and play.

The non NAV STS's have only two wiring harnesses. The NAV STS has four. The first two on both vehicles are the exact same. They include all of the power/ground and all the speaker wires. The other two connectors that are not present on the non NAV STS are for voice recognition and A/V inputs/outputs.

I am getting the other two plugs (the ones that the non NAV STS does not have) and I am going to wire something up to be able to get A/V inputs/outputs.

On top of that my IPac AUX input works on the NAV too.

The employees at my local Cadillac dealer were in amazement when I went to get the NAV unlocked today. I had 10-15 of them all standing in a circle around me asking me questions.

So the bottom line is that you CAN add a Cadillac NAV to a non NAV STS. It is plug and play. All the door chimes and everything else works perfect. The only thing you will not have that a STS that comes with NAV has is the VR and the A/V inputs/outputs, and if you can get a hold of some connectors (some NAV's on Ebay come with them) you can wire that up too.

I dont know how everyone elses locks when in drive but mine locks DVD when put in drive. Haven't tried the NAV yet as I am waiting on the antenna.
BUT, on the stock radio you cannot try to change the vehicle settings (remote start, memory seats, etc) when the car is going over like 5mph.

On the NAV I have now NOTHING is disabled or grayed out when the vehicle is in motion. I can change the settings and everything. Is this how everyone else NAV works?

Anyways HERE IS THE PROOF!!! I havent posted a Youtube video on here yet so this may not come out right.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/69MeQX2Jvf8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/69MeQX2Jvf8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

See less See more
1 9
#228 ·
Did anyone ever figure out the bluetooth audio? The caller can hear me, but I cannot hear them. The only think I could think of is the fact that the center speaker is missing from the bose 4.0 system, and the 2005 SRX I own with the nav uses the center speaker for the bluetooth voice. Is there anyway to grab the center speaker output (show in the wiring diagram on page 3) and redirect it so the bluetooth sound works?

#230 ·
Yes, There has not been one successful full conversion. You have to realize that the factory navigation unit also came with a completely different amplifier. To make a full conversion you would need to replace the amplifier and add all the missing speakers which is more trouble then its worth.

#232 ·
Ok so my old installer is pretty confident he can tap the bluetooth output of the Nav into the center speaker so that you can actually hear the caller. I can make calls and the called can hear me, but I can't hear them. Supposedly he believes he can also get the Nav voice to use the same output.....I'll keep everyone posted!

#237 · (Edited)
The Vehicle Command Integration Module

On non nav cars the talk button is slated to be used for ONSTAR on Nav cars its used for voice command.

You need to have the vcim recalibrated to have the car know it now has Nav that will fix that issue. In doing so the mic will connect with Nav and the vcim will also OUTPUT the bluetooth communication to the amp then the speakers.... Thats how I folllow it.

#239 ·
The only way to do this is to install your factory unit in a remote location such as in the truck etc. and then you can install any aftermarket unit you want.

#249 ·
Smartphones will always be current. Garrmin, etc. nearly so. You probably have an old map disk because the DPO probably sold his latest ones on eBay.

Get a 2010 disk set or newer and you'llbe happier. Forum members often 'pay it forward' when they buy the latest disk(s). I know I both benefited and was a benefactor (twice the latter). What's a few bucks among friends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.