Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ^^^ I do not recall seeing a member post saying they tried a late model Nav in an older car ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

^^^ I do not recall seeing a member post saying they tried a late model Nav in an older car & it didn't work.

STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

well if u did it next2pool, then im wrong. i thought i remember seeing someone said it wouldnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by STE_6000 View Post
    well if u did it next2pool, then im wrong. i thought i remember seeing someone said it wouldnt work.
    I agree that people have posted that limitation but next2pool isn't the only credible member that reports much success. I don't recall anyone achieving 100% functionality, but I could be wrong.

I think it's the Nav turn-by-turn driving audio instructions that pose a problem. I also think that without Nav you wouldn't have all 15 speakers & amp(s).

ya without the navi you would be missing the speakers in the seat and the center console.

i remember someone saying that because the newer navi's did turn by turn on the hud? that it wasnt usable for the older cars. im trying to find out where i read this but so many forum topics on here its like searcing for gold in a coal mill.

The 2006 Navi turn-by-turn shows in the HUD.

Did they move the bluetooth on the new ones?

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I agree that people have posted that limitation but next2pool isn't the only credible member that reports much success. I don't recall anyone achieving 100% functionality, but I could be wrong.

I think it's the Nav turn-by-turn driving audio instructions that pose a problem. I also think that without Nav you wouldn't have all 15 speakers & amp(s).
    You're correct that there still are some unresolved issues, mainly the voice prompts and the bluetooth incoming sound. We believe those are the same issue and reside in the VCIM flash. A few of us are trying to get to the bottom of that, but time seems to be getting in the way. Also, you are correct about the speakers, but the Nav unit has decidedly better sound through the 8 speaker sytem than the standard radio. Also, it doesn't seem to matter which year of Nav unit you put in which year car. My 08 nav has a very slightly different texture on the matte black surface than earlier units but it isn't really noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    You're correct that there still are some unresolved issues, mainly the voice prompts and the bluetooth incoming sound. We believe those are the same issue and reside in the VCIM flash. A few of us are trying to get to the bottom of that, but time seems to be getting in the way. Also, you are correct about the speakers, but the Nav unit has decidedly better sound through the 8 speaker sytem than the standard radio. Also, it doesn't seem to matter which year of Nav unit you put in which year car. My 08 nav has a very slightly different texture on the matte black surface than earlier units but it isn't really noticeable.
    thats good to hear, shame we can updated the first post of this topic so as to keep the known info up front to make it easier for all new owners.

sdmfer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Maybe STS

sorry to bring this thread up again, but its a good one. Anyone get bluetooth working good with installing a NAv in a NON-NAV sts?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the VCIM reflash mentioned a few posts ago is probably what needs to be done (maybe even need a new VCIM)
    there's lots of posts about swapping VCIMs to get bluetooth (for escalades and cts - sts should be similar)

it can be hard to find a dealer who will flash the VCIM since it is not done by dealers usually (they come pre-flashed to the VIN options so dealers don't really ever flash them)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

I have an 05 1SG with HUD and I get turn by turn in my windshield and the Navi units might look slightly different but the 05 thru 11 Navi units are the same. There was no upgrades in electronics just the firmware.

I think there were some changes in Bluetooth; adding it to non-Nav models. Also some Onstar chnages. Blind spot warning (making the collision warning even more irritating?)

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

Quote Originally Posted by caddyfat2 View Post
    I have an 05 1SG with HUD and I get turn by turn in my windshield and the Navi units might look slightly different but the 05 thru 11 Navi units are the same. There was no upgrades in electronics just the firmware.
    Anyone can go and get theyre STS FW updated. I got mine done for free by going in and complaining of the symptoms on the TSB. It changed some menu options and upgrades the BT and I think the VR.

On the NAV STS and the non NAV STS all the wires are the same except for two wires that go from the VCIM to the Bose amp. One is a voice prompt mute reference wire and the other is the same but not reference and is a +. When I was experimenting if you hook those two wires to where they are supposed to go (they are there on the non NAV STS just in a different spot) the NAV will mute and go to the voice icon when you push the steering wheel button.

If you look on ebay for STS VCIM you will find some that say for NAV or not for NAV. But all the ones sold by recyclers that know half what theyre talking about say it is a dealer installed part and has to be programmed.

Im pretty cool with a tech at my dealer. If I brought in a VIN from a NAV STS that has about the same options as mine Im sure he would reflash it for me. I dunno if I would have to get the upgrade to the new VCIM (onstar upgrade) or not. I havent had time to go up there and do it yet as Ive been busy on a boat I bought. but when I do I will post back what happened. Or anyone else who has done the upgrade can see if they will go it.

knappy75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS V8

Sorry for the resurrection here; I am looking to do a Nav retrofit in my 07 also. Has anyone gotten this to completion? I had a couple of questions before I tackle it; hopefully someone can chime in.

1. Since my vehicle is a non-nav and non-bluetooth, I was going to do a bluetooth upgrade first. But if I am going to have to change/reflash the VCIM, should I wait and just buy a used one from a donor (E-bay), that is setup with nav AND bluetooth? In a previous reply on this thread, there is discussion on reflashing versus buying an entirely different VCIM, with bluetooth I assume.

2. Does flashing or buying a new VCIM solve this bluetooth problem, or is there still a wiring issue? I don't mind not having VR, and if getting a different/flashed VCIM solves the bluetooth problem, then a "new" nav unit and "new" VCIM module is all that is needed for a retrofit. ???

Please let me know if someone has finished with this, or close. I'm very interested. I went to my dealership today (only Caddy dealer in Tulsa), and he looked at me like I was an idiot, so obviously no help there. Thanks! Eric

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Getting a dealer to flash/reprogram a VCIM can be very hard since they come pre programmed under normal circumstances and dealers in general tend to shy away from custom work.

The nav upgrade is totally do-able, adding the bluetooth with seamless integration will be the tricky part
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS
    Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    Getting a dealer to flash/reprogram a VCIM can be very hard since they come pre programmed under normal circumstances and dealers in general tend to shy away from custom work.

The nav upgrade is totally do-able, adding the bluetooth with seamless integration will be the tricky part
    Yea. It's do able. No one that I know of has gotten the VCIM flashed on a STS. I have a dealer that will do it for me I just haven gotten around to doing it.

All the wiring is there as I said in the post above yours. You WILL NEED the other two connectors that go to the NAV that you don't have on a non nav STS though. (non NAV has 2, NAV has four)

One of them (the brownish red one) you can get by ordering a lockpick which you'll want anyways.

The other one is a little 10 pin one. You don't really need it but it controls the RCA hookups. And if you want RCA hookups you need the rca module. There's a module detect wire so you can't just hook up rca s.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.