Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok got my navi installed. A video below for people who wanted another video for proof. Here is something I ...
    STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

Ok got my navi installed. A video below for people who wanted another video for proof. Here is something I dont get, maybe someone can help me, after the install,the gps didnt work, I know i need the antenna and the nav cd, that is coming, but the clock is not working. I am not sure why I can't set it. does anyone know what might be causing this? I'm wondering if it is because the gps antenna is not there. Anyone know what the navi clock runs off of?

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

Good video. A few things, you can take that bezel off easily without pulling the console trim plate by just getting under one edge of the bezel and start lifting it off. I think you will find that the bluetooth input does work since it uses the Onstar mic, but the voice prompts or incoming won't work--nor will the guidence voice prompts work. My unit is 2008 and I could set the clock, however, if I remember correctly, you have a couple of options on how the clock works--manual or GPS time. You may just have to wait till you hook up your antenna. I wasn't quite sure what you were saying about the front ot rear fade due to the absent seat speakers--all the balance on fade functions on mine work just fine--maybe I misunderstood. Glad to see another person to help debug the retrofit. So far the biggest challenge has been to get the bluetooth and guidence prompts to work. It looks like that may be a VCIM programming issue. I haven't had time to take a TechII home yet.

Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    Good video. A few things, you can take that bezel off easily without pulling the console trim plate by just getting under one edge of the bezel and start lifting it off. I think you will find that the bluetooth input does work since it uses the Onstar mic, but the voice prompts or incoming won't work--nor will the guidence voice prompts work. My unit is 2008 and I could set the clock, however, if I remember correctly, you have a couple of options on how the clock works--manual or GPS time. You may just have to wait till you hook up your antenna. I wasn't quite sure what you were saying about the front ot rear fade due to the absent seat speakers--all the balance on fade functions on mine work just fine--maybe I misunderstood. Glad to see another person to help debug the retrofit. So far the biggest challenge has been to get the bluetooth and guidence prompts to work. It looks like that may be a VCIM programming issue. I haven't had time to take a TechII home yet.
    i can fade, but without the seat speakers, it doesnt get the full affect of frnt only versus rear only, that is what i meant.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Try different settings under the clock setup. I noticed that the GPS satellites I pick up have the wrong time!

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Try different settings under the clock setup. I noticed that the GPS satellites I pick up have the wrong time!
    oddly i cant change that, if u notice in the video the options are there, but the buttons to touch are not present. sim i think im gonna wait for the gps antenna and go from there.

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

My NAV was an 07 and I could not get the time or set it to manual until the GPS antenna was hooked up.

You need the GPS antenna and CD for the NAV to work properly.

You can find the antennas cheaper than new on car-part.com

I got mine for $52 shipped. You just have to make sure it's the pink connector one. The white and blue ones will NOT work.

On carpart you search either under antennas or under radios then look for GPS antenna.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Nice job.

Oh yeah, there are no 'hands of the clock' on the big round display. The clock is digital only; at least for 2006 & 7.

I wasnt sure about the hands, just wanted to point out on the vid it had neither. i got a gps antenna for 20 shipped, a pioneer one, with the pink connector.

BTW--what year is your nav unit out of? A few things on mine are very different than what most of the discussions talk about. When I go into the firmware section, it is totally different. Not that it seems to make a whole lot of difference since I think some of the basic unsolved issues all seem to be the same. I did download a 2008 Nav manual and some of the directions are a bit different than the 2006 manual. The other thing that is sort of strange is that my p/n is different than any of the units I see on ebay, even for an 08. It does show up on the GM hotline however.

Quote Originally Posted by STE_6000 View Post
    I wasnt sure about the hands, just wanted to point out on the vid it had neither. i got a gps antenna for 20 shipped, a pioneer one, with the pink connector.

A Pioneer one? I saw them with the pink connector and all. Im sure it basically is the same thing but I am interested on how it works out for you.

It gives specific electrical diagrams for how the antenna works on Alldata. I dunno if it matters but I would think that the one for the STS would work better on the NAV than a Pioneer one.

I had a Kedwood one for my Aftermarket Kenwood NAV in my Deville a while ago and it was very picky about anything blocking it. It was kinda like those Microsoft GPS packages you can hook up to your laptop. It took forever to find a signal and the very second you would pull under anything it would lose signal.

Hopefully though it will work good for you then everyone who does the mod can just pick one of those up instead of paying the dealer for a new one or tracking a used one down.

I imagine it is about the same size as the STS NAV one with the plate taken off. Which is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by LAC_STS View Post
    A Pioneer one? I saw them with the pink connector and all. Im sure it basically is the same thing but I am interested on how it works out for you.

It gives specific electrical diagrams for how the antenna works on Alldata. I dunno if it matters but I would think that the one for the STS would work better on the NAV than a Pioneer one.

I had a Kedwood one for my Aftermarket Kenwood NAV in my Deville a while ago and it was very picky about anything blocking it. It was kinda like those Microsoft GPS packages you can hook up to your laptop. It took forever to find a signal and the very second you would pull under anything it would lose signal.

Hopefully though it will work good for you then everyone who does the mod can just pick one of those up instead of paying the dealer for a new one or tracking a used one down.

I imagine it is about the same size as the STS NAV one with the plate taken off. Which is good too.
    if it works well, then all is good and on to other issues with the nav conversation.

Ok this might seem like a dumb question to some. I never messed with a car gps antenna before. can then be mounted upside down? Do they need to be pointing in a certain direction? And will they work mounted under the dash, where you can't see it? Wasn't sure. I know I could figure it out, but was hoping someone elses knows off hand.

I put an aftermarket unit in my minivan and the antenna looked a lot like the STS one. They definitely work fine underneath a dash pad as long as there is no metal above them. I'm assuming that they need to be flat or relatively horizontal to be most effective. As far as working upside down, I'm not so sure about that, but the ones I've seen are pretty obvious which side is up. On the STS, I popped up the panel that houses the speakers - the one right up against the windshield and fished the wire back to the radio compartment. I didn't remove that panel because you then need to pull the A pillar moldings. You can pop it up in the center high enough to lay the antenna in there, then snap it back down.

Yea the antenna has to be faced upwards

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.