Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; the antenna is a seperate connection to the unit, not part of the wiring harness. notice 4 harness hook ups ...
    STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

the antenna is a seperate connection to the unit, not part of the wiring harness. notice 4 harness hook ups and 2 other connections. its one of the other 2 connections.

snum1fan is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

Most of the navs that come with the wires in the back have the gps antenna connector hooked up too. Either way you need a gps antenna. The reason for getting a nav with the connectors hooked into it (pigtails) is so you have the connecirs to hook A/V inputs and such up if you want them.

cremecreme is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

have hooked up the Navigation and everything works.....I cannot get a GPS signal to come up...I have drove around, even with the GPS antenna taying on the dash and still nothing??? Any recommendations? Do I have a bad GPS antenna? This was the original OEM GPS antenna that came with the Navi unit when I ordered it and recieved it. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

It could take a while to get connection the first time. There is a tsb saying that on nav equipped STSs that after a nav is swapped out for a new one it could take up to 40 miles to accuratly get gps signal.

edit~R But i did get the Navi to work...just not the GPS...40 miles wow that is a long way to go.....on my Navi the GPS doesnt even say that it is getting a signal...i even went into the diagnostic mode and it look like it wasnt getting anything...but I will hang on and see...maybe tomorrow when I drive to work I will get it....that will be around 40 miles total....i think i am going to get a new GPS antenna and maybe try to splice it in?

I had my NAV replaced by the dealer twice and both times it took a while to find the GPS signal. Before it found the signal it thought I was in a different state, I guess where the NAV was tested before being sent to the dealer.

Another thing you can try is to reset the location so it knows where to look for you. This may make it find you faster.

I forget right now but I think to calibrate the position is under calibrate when you push menu from the gps screen. If not its under config, then gps settings.

Yep tried all that....but wow you had NAV replaced twice....what happened!!....I drove about 50 miles today and still nothing...I think maybe I need a new GPS antenna...I hope it isnt the NAV...because I am sure Cadillac will not replace it since i installed aftermarket...

The first one kept freaking out and would randomly get stuck on an all white screen with lines in it. The second one just wouldn't turn on about a week after they installed it. After all this I found out that the dealer I was going to uses some company that they send NAV to and get refurb ones back. I thought they were installing new ones.

got2btru! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac STS

OK, newbie to the site, but just spent the last couple hours reading around (especially this post). I own a 2008 Cadillac STS (bought it in August) & my only "complaint" was that it didn't have the NAV. Found one on eBay last week (from an 06 STS) & bought it...should get to me next week. So in reading through all of this info, I've gleaned the following...
    I need to get the lock remover for another $235 (great - more money to get the wife to approve!!!)
    I need to install it (was gonna pay for this, but after watching the Coastal video, I should be able to do this myself, even if I am not technical in respect to cars.
    I need to get a GPS Antenna - saw one on eBay for $25 but have concerns about it being a proper fit.
    I have the following questions I would REALLY appreciate guidance on...
    WHY do I need the dealer to do something afterwards (un-lock?) & how much should it cost me.
    I'd like to install a Car Computer & input (1 anyhow) to the touch screen nav...is that possible?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this string...it's been EXTREMELY helpful!!!!

I dunno about the carputer but I did see a thread on here but in another forum (CTS one maybe?) about someone doing it. Try clicking search then advanced search and search for "carputer".

About the un-lock I assume you are talking about removing the theftlock. It is when a new radio is put in it says theftlock on the radio (or NAV), the dealer has to remove this so it will work. There is another NAV thread that talks about it more. I dont know what they would charge or how it is done but I dont think its that hard. Go to the advanced search again and search for "theftlock".

The lockpick is not hard to install at all. Like Coastal's site says it is 100% plug and play. There is a guy on here named Tomm that sells them too and I think his prices may be a little bit cheaper than Coastals. His website is www.bestradardetectors.net

char1iebrown is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS V8 '07 Z06

awesome sticky! but i have a question if we go with the OEM NAVI, where would we buy the GPS ANTENNA, the audio/video input output harness, and the Bluetooth microphone, or the Voice recognition harness?

got2btru! is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by char1iebrown View Post
    awesome sticky! but i have a question if we go with the OEM NAVI, where would we buy the GPS ANTENNA, the audio/video input output harness, and the Bluetooth microphone, or the Voice recognition harness?
    WOW! Talk about resurrecting an old thread!
    1. GPS Antenna - GM Dealership, On-Line Parts Supply, eBay, etc
    2. A/V Harness - eBay, Salvage Yard, etc (mostl likely should purchase an entire console as it has the inner liner which allows for the A/V module, etc
    3. BlueTooth Microphone - you'll need to run a couple of additional wires from a harness that goes into the back of the NAV unit to the VCIM...I believe that will resolve that & VR...not sure yet though, haven't done it...gonna pick up some harnesses this weekend & (possibly) run the wires next weekend...will keep everyone posted

char1iebrown is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS V8 '07 Z06

haha sorry for doing that its just this was the best thread to ask! appreciate it!

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

GM Nav Antenna Part # 25726569

STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

anyone have recommendations on removing the wood trim that is around the radio. the easiest method without doing damage, someone told me using your fingers, but didnt know if there is a easy tool instead.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.