Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

111K views 317 replies 55 participants last post by  DB05 
#1 ·
Well all you who thought that Polarbear05 was trying to pull a fast one on us were WRONG.

Adding a OEM NAV to a STS that did not come with a NAV is 100% possible and it is completely plug and play.

The non NAV STS's have only two wiring harnesses. The NAV STS has four. The first two on both vehicles are the exact same. They include all of the power/ground and all the speaker wires. The other two connectors that are not present on the non NAV STS are for voice recognition and A/V inputs/outputs.

I am getting the other two plugs (the ones that the non NAV STS does not have) and I am going to wire something up to be able to get A/V inputs/outputs.

On top of that my IPac AUX input works on the NAV too.

The employees at my local Cadillac dealer were in amazement when I went to get the NAV unlocked today. I had 10-15 of them all standing in a circle around me asking me questions.

So the bottom line is that you CAN add a Cadillac NAV to a non NAV STS. It is plug and play. All the door chimes and everything else works perfect. The only thing you will not have that a STS that comes with NAV has is the VR and the A/V inputs/outputs, and if you can get a hold of some connectors (some NAV's on Ebay come with them) you can wire that up too.

I dont know how everyone elses locks when in drive but mine locks DVD when put in drive. Haven't tried the NAV yet as I am waiting on the antenna.
BUT, on the stock radio you cannot try to change the vehicle settings (remote start, memory seats, etc) when the car is going over like 5mph.

On the NAV I have now NOTHING is disabled or grayed out when the vehicle is in motion. I can change the settings and everything. Is this how everyone else NAV works?

Anyways HERE IS THE PROOF!!! I havent posted a Youtube video on here yet so this may not come out right.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/69MeQX2Jvf8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/69MeQX2Jvf8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

See less See more
1 9
#121 ·
I seached and couldn't find if anyone has retrofitted the input jacks in the console, OEM style. There are several on E-bay with the entire console. Question-is the portion of wiring to hook up the A/V already below the console? I just added OEM bluetooth and a subwoofer to my King Ranch, and Ford puts the wiring in on a lot of things, even if you don't have that option. But I guess if that was already there, then the other two connectors would be behind the dash, just tucked away, right?

#122 ·
I did.

The module (the RCA part) is about $70-80 if I remember right. You can, and its better to imo, buy a complete console from ebay for about the same price. I got a complete STS console from a NAV STS and it was $75 after shipping.

This gives you the module, the console liner that has the hole cut in it to put the module in, and the wiring all the way to right below the NAV.

If you take the console you can strip it down and seperate the wiring and you will have the liner out, and the module with the connector on the back, then the wiring for the module all the way to right below the NAV.

You still need the 10 pin black NAV connector.

The wiring is not there for that on a non NAV STS.

The console is a PITA to take apart. There are rivets and all kinds of stuff. I ended up paying a Caddy tech $50 to take the NAV console liner I had and put it in my car. He said he wished he hadnt said he would do it. Even for him at a Caddy dealer he said it was a PITA.

I tried hooking up RCA's to the 10 pin NAV connector and trying different things with the module detect wire but it wouldnt work. Its not goodd to cut and wire RCA's anyways but even if you do it wont work. You need that RCA module. In other words, in a NAV STS console, the RCA jacks are not just jacks. Its a module and the NAV has a wire that knows whether its there or not.

#123 ·
One more thing to all this.

If you want your NAV GPS to work you HAVE TO HOOK UP a VSS wire. I know of 3 or 4 of us who did it and the NAV will get stuck facing east alot of you dont.

The VSS wire is a wire that goes from the ECM to the rearview to the backup sensor module.

If you buy a lockpick you will have the brownish red connector and you can just cut the wire (I think its pin 15) and run a wire to the trunk where the rear parking assist module is. On that module there is a dark brown wire and you tie your wire into that one.

When you do that the GPS will work correctly.

Another thing, which I dont know why is that with out the VSS hooked up the NAV will not display the street name you are on at the bottom of the screen.

When you hook the VSS up it will.

#124 ·
So lets get a list together so everyone knows.

If you just want the NAV to work so you can watch DVDs or whatever all you need is the NAV. Just plug it up and it will work.

If you want the GPS to work you will need the GPS antenna and a VSS wire. You need the brownish red connector to wire the VSS wire. You can get this by buying a lockpick.

If you want the RCA inputs to work you need the RCA module that goes in the console. If you want the RCAs in the console you need the console liner that has the hole in it. Or I guess you could cut yours.

If you want BT to work..... I dunno. On the older CTS's (as shown on CaddyFAQ) you just have to switch some pins between the NAV, VCIM, and the Bose amp. I spent a couple hours checking this out on the STS and all the wiring is in the right place. So... VCIM reflash? I dunno. Ill go try it whenever I get time.

#125 ·
The VCIM has to have bluetooth built into it... people have been buying bluetooth VCIMs for other cars - if all you want is the bluetooth then that usually just works but you may need a programming
being that you're mixing NAV into the mix I would guess that a reprogramming will probably be necessary

#126 ·
Chris, thanks for the info. And LAC, thanks for the writeups. I really appreciate the help. I have every intention of doing this retrofit as correctly as I can. But I have to be honest, I am really looking for the bluetooth and Nav over anything else. I'm not really a lockpick guy, have had one before, but don't really watch anything on it. My wife and I take a lot of road trips; hence the reason for the Caddy purchase. I don't really have to have the A/V inputs either, and after hearing from LAC and STS about that, I don't think I want to get into console removal.

OK, that said, let me throw another question in. Chris, you are speaking of a VCIM flash; frankly, I don't know if I want to fight with my only dealer in town about this. I'd rather try to find a different VCIM, but don't know if there are different ones with different options, or do I need just one from a nav car. *****Question-can I buy an aftermarket bluetooth (Galaxy or a couple of others I have seen on here that are plugnplay), and add Nav, and both work? In theory it would-adding a bluetooth to the VCIM in the trunk adds bluetooth. Adding Nav gets me my navigation system. I'm thinking $500 or so for the Nav, and $250 or so for the bluetooth. Minimal labor, really just plugnplay, with exception of VSS wire. What do you guys think?

Also, LAC-can I PM you sometime after I earn my privilege, to get more info about the VSS wire? I would appreciate it.

Eric

#127 ·
Chris, I re-read your post and I think you may have answered my question about adding both-VCIM flash mandatory, or changing it out at least. I'm going to my dealer in a matter of a couple of hours, and I guess I need to have a sit down and chat.

Also-STS, got your PM. Although I received it, I can't respond to it yet. Maybe me blowing up this thread will earn my privilege. Haha.

#128 ·
The lockpick is not just for watching movies. The STS NAV locks out almost all GPS functions while moving.

So your gonna have to pull over and stop if you want to change your gps course or look up stuff.

Also if you don't buy a lockpick your gonna have to find the brownish red connector. You need it to hook up a VSS wire. If you don't hook it up your GPS map screen will keep getting stuck facing east.

#129 ·
dealers will think you're loony if you mention the VCIM reflash
first, to be clear it's only needed if you do get another VCIM that came in another car
there is no way to turn your VCIM into a bluetooth VCIM
the bluetooth VCIM will look almost exactly the same but have one more connector on it that the bluetooth antenna (small little thing) plugs onto - it looks just like the other connectors that go to your onstar antenna etc

so if you want to get bluetooth you'll need to get a new VCIM (used really... there's no way to get a new one since the new one will be just the same as the one you have now)

if you want to keep OnStar then you'll need to get it re-flashed (and this can be hard - only one or two people have had success)
but most of the time the bluetooth will just work - unless your VCIM didn't come with the bluetooth antenna and you didn't install one - that's a pretty basic problem

if you add a nav system that throws another wrench into the equation but might actually help you out
they will have to do some programming of your new nav unit at a dealer to program various options specific to your vehicle
at that point you might be able to get them to do a similar programming to the VCIM - it would be the best time since the person who just programmed the nav will know about all the options your car has plus the ones that were just added (the nav and bluetooth)

just going into a dealer and asking for a VCIM reprogramming will probably not get you very far
but asking for them to program your nav unit you just installed (and then program the VCIM to match it..) that might work out

and now that i realize we're talking about Sevilles not Escalades i'm kind of unsure about all of this since the trucks have an 'approved' nav upgrade
... but i trust LAC - i would defer all technical specifics in his direction

good luck

#132 ·
Chris, I'm glad I read your post before I visited the dealership. I spoke to the same guy I had talked to yesterday. I just told him I would have the Nav unit installed soon, and would need it flashed. He said $90 bucks and no bid deal...amazing if you ask the right questions I guess.

I have a couple more questions if you guys are up to it. And if you're ever in OK, I'd buy a round...

1. I am assuming since I don't have bluetooth, that I won't have a bluetooth antenna. I hadn't read about this previously. It is mounted in the trunk area, coming out from the VCIM? I guess I will need to find one of those?
2. Are there just really two types of VCIM's out there-one "with" all of the goodies, and one "without"? Do I need a specific part#, or just one that came from a nav car-where I don't have to worry about if the donor car had this and not this, or that option but not this option. If you know what I mean.

OK, so my part list is now-Nav unit, GPS antenna, lockpick, bluetooth antenna, and VCIM from donor vehicle. What do you guys think?

#133 ·
What antenna? Do you mean for your phone to connect to the NAV? It's built into the NAV.

I can connect my phone to my NAV and make a call. The person I call can hear me but I can't hear them.

That's the problem. The mic in the rearview will work and route your voice through the VCIM to the NAV but it will not route the callers voice to the Bose amp.

You can test this by either tapping on the mic on the rear view and seeing if the caller can hear your taps. Or if you go into the NAV diagnostic screen you can go to bt check. There are two options in bt check. I forget the exact wording they call them but one tests the mic and shows you a signal bar. If you talk or tap the mic you can see the bar go up.

The other tests the output. Or the voice playing over the speakers. It says something and your supposed to hear it. I dunno what it says because of course I can't hear it.

#134 ·
What did you ask him to flash? The NAV? Or the VCIM?

You don't need the NAV flashed. You need your VCIM flashed. I don't think you need a new VCIM either. You just need to find a STS with the same options as yours but with nav and get the VIN. You can get it from cars.com

Then take that VIN to them and have them flash it.

The only thing to flash on the NAV itself is the firmware. I got mine updated and it really doesn't do anything. The release notes and the tsb say it improves bt and vr.

#135 ·
If the nav has a bluetooth antenna in it then that's good (the truck nav systems don't and the vcim in those cars has the bluetooth antenna mount directly onto the vcim - IF the car has the bluetooth option)

there's more than just two vcim's but there's basically two styles (with and w/o bluetooth)

#136 ·
When you're using Bluetooth, your phone's antenna still links to the Cell Tower. My LG phone connects to the car if I'm within 20 feet. It's kinda inconvenient if I'm loading the trunk but it works great if I'm talking on the phone and get in & drive off. The transistion is almost seamless.

#137 ·
The problem isnt your phone connecting with the cell antenna. The problem is that when the caller speaks you cannot hear them.

All phones when connected to BT turn the phones speaker off and instead use the BT sources speaker. It would sound funny to have both the car and the phone, or the BT headset and the phones speaker playing the voice.

#138 ·
I beleive some of the wires in the 2 connectors you are missing are needed for the nav to function correctly. Once you connect your GPS antena I assume the unit will recognize it is moving and lock you out of entry while moving also without the brown speed sensing wire connected the nav will not be able to calculate total time to a destination or orient vehicle correctly on map, without the speed sensing wire if you loose nav signal beacuse of clouds wheather obstructions car will get lost on map wont be able to position itself until gps signal comes back.

#139 ·
Ummm. As I stated above the two wires that are "missing" are actually there they're just in different pins on the Bose amp.

These two wires are for the audio mute for vr and bt. Nothin to do with general NAV function

The NAVs vss wire has nothing to do with calculating how long to get somewhere. It's in the software just like on a Garmin or other gps.

The very only reason you need to hook up a vss wire is because sometimes the NAVs gps screen will get stuck facing east.

#142 ·
Idk sorry echase. Just venting. I can get info on how to install a blown 502 jet drive into my sterdrive boat easier than I can get info on how to program a 08+ key fob.

It's really annoying. Noone should have to prove anything here. But meanwhile it's been a ongoing prove this or that discussion abou the nav install.

#148 ·
I'm sorry if you feel other members or I withhold what we 'know' or are just out to prove something. There are a bunch of threads and posts on most topics and sometimes we tire of the same ol' same ol' over & over. Generally, we offer what we think will help.

About idiot dealers... shoot the targit, not the other marksmen.

#144 ·
When I got my STS last year no one here nor the dealer knew if you could program a 08+ key fob to a 05-07. There's a few threads on it. I bet if I would have came into your dealer I would have been told the same thing.

That's why I said 08+ key fob and not just key fob. Maybe I should have been clearer.

The dealer said it was "different technology" and in no way was possible.

Same thing here. No one had done it and no one thought it would work.

Point was there is so much bad info out there on the STS. All cars have some bad info but the STS is the worst I've seen.

Go to mycarstats and look at the complaints about the STS. One person had the farting noise that's caused by the a/c duct or whatever. Multiple dealers not only didn't know how to fix it but they didn't even know what was causing it. Even though it's been discussed here and I forget who but one member who is a caddy tech I think ewill3rd said he fixes em all the time.

There's a lot of stuff that can be done, can be fixed, etc that a lot of dealers have no clue about.

Everythig I asked my dealer if it was possible they said no. Not they'd never done it before or they don't thing so it was always it's impossible.

Two different dealers told me to put a 08-11 front fascia on I'd have to change the fenders and hood and all kinds of crap. Well we all know that's not true now.

Same thing with the NAV and the 08+ key fob. It goes on and on.

And it's not just me or the dealers I went to. Mycarstats show tons of people who have very common problems for the STS and no dealers they go to know how to fix it.

It's really bs. If I was a dealer I would be all for someone showing or telling me how they installed a NAV or programmer a better key fob, or upgraded the front fascia. Then I could tell other owners and maybe sell some more cars by offering the service.

#145 ·
so you can program the 08 keyfob to the 05-07?
if so, is it the same procedure?

i get your frustration... it's just ignorance, lack of interest, laziness that causes most people to just kill time while at work
if they figured out all this stuff then they'd have more work to do

finding service people (from bartenders to automotive technicians) that do quality work and are knowledgeable in their field is something that is really tough but kind of a 'fact of life'
it's when you're in a warranty period and you have to go to the dealership that provides horrible service that you really feel taken since you're basically captive

not many people know this, but you can take your cadillac to any gm dealership for warranty work (except recalls - they must be done at the cadillac dealership)
so if you're unhappy with the level of service you're getting i suggest you try other cadillac dealers and all the other dealers in your area
also of course call and complain to gm/cadillac customer service

#146 ·
I bought my STS from a chevy dealer. They gave me two free oil change coupons. When I went for the first one they told me that the STS manual calls for NON synthetic (conventional) oil. I told then it calls for mobile 1 that it's in the manual. They said they looked and it doesn't. They brought the car back out to me and said that's all they could do. I opened the hood and showed them it says mobile 1 on the oil fill cap and they got all red in the face and kept saying sorry.

Then before I did the NAV upgrade I swapped the regular cd player for a 6 disc. I went to there to get the theftlock off. You would think it would be pretty simple huh. I was there for two hours and they couldn't do it. The tech called the tech line at GM and everythig. I then took it to the caddy dealer and they did it in ten mins. I was in the car with the tech at the chevy dealer and watched him try it. Problem was he was cycling the ign too fast. I told him maybe he should wait a few seconds like the instructions he had said.

I don't think they know anything about the cadillacs.

Another thing is that chevy dealer gave me a free 3K mile 90 day warranty. My water pump started leaking a week after I bought it. I took it to the chevy dealer and they fixed it and did the recall for the rear end seal. Crazy huh?

About the key fob. The dealer who told me it was different technology didn't want to try to program it. The car only had one key fob when I bought it but three were programmed so I wanted all of them erased and my new 08+ one as #1. The service writer is cool and would have tried but the service manager hates me and wouldn't let him write it up. He hates me because he's the one the writer turned to when I asked about the front fascia, NAV, and key fob.

I paid a tech there $20 on the side while he was changing my oil and he programmed it. He said it's just like any other key fob.

I didn't mean to be smart about the key fob thing with you I'm just really over this crap. Even on here when someone does something everyone wants proof. You have to post a video about your nav install or everyone thinks your just lying and posting it for the hell of it. I must have saw ten threads on here that were after the polarbear thread where someone asked shot installing a NAV. There's nothing but it's impossible replies.

I think some of it's an ego thing. After someone who I told it was impossible to install a 08+ front fascia came in with it done I think I would have asked how he did it. And maybe even tried to talk to him about the NAV install he was gonna try. Or just maybe try to program his 08+ key fob.

But it's not like that. Instead the guy won't even look at me when I go there. The service writer thinks it's cool though.

I dunno I'm sorry to vent on this thread. Thanks rippy. Sorry again.

#147 ·
no problem man - i totally see where you're coming from
we've done some escalade keyfob upgrades (upgrading 07s to the 08 style i think)
these types of issues at the dealerships happen most of the times when you've got people who tend to (or want to) just 'go through the motions'
they don't want to learn and they just want to make a buck - so a guy like you gets either lip service or turned/pushed away
i get customers all the time who are told at other dealerships that they have to tow their car in to program a new key
i tell the customer that person they talked to is probably just ignorant (but i can tell that the customer is thinking that dealership was just trying to scam them out of an hour of labor, basically)

on the forums i can understand your frustrations too
theres a whole other element going on
some people think they know it all, like the ignorant dealership staff
some people are just trolls
some people have a bad day (or week)
and sometimes honest inquiry is taken wrong due to communication breakdown that's prevalent in online communications

in both cases (in dealings w/ dealerships and forum frustrations) you've got to just 'keep on keepin on'
don't let the naysayers get you down. just keep at it and make sure you communicate the best that you can and hope it comes across to others the way you intended it

it feels good to vent though, right? it's not good to let things that bother you get all bottled up - you'll eventually explode
in my opinion it doesn't matter who you tell, your shrink, your spouse, your mistress, your mother, your child, your friend, a stranger on the forums
i think that people can't move on sometimes when things bother them and just talking about it helps them digest it mentally so they can move past it

#151 ·
The reason Tomm's modified Lockpick's are required for 2005 and 2006 is that the lockout on later models is not quite as thorough (gps factor). They are also required for pre-2008 models with ACC because they don't have the steering-wheel mute button. Some 2007 models don't 'play well' with standard Lockpick's, too.

If you are determined to let your passenger use all system controls while you're driving :) buy a Lockpick from Tomm. He will stand behind it.

#152 ·
There is no way to get the Navigation unit to work for both DVD Playback and the Ability to use GPS without a lockpick and there is no way around this. Cutting the VSS will tell the vehicle you are not moving and in newer models 2007+ might even unlock the some locked menu's but if you have a 2005 & 2006 the navigation unit will definitely go into the next lockout at exactly 8 MPH so you then have to disconnect the GPS as well so what good is doing all this if you cant use the navigation any more.

If there is enough demand we can build a cheaper product just for unlocking the menu's with an override switch like the modified lockpicks but the cost of the lockpicks are very affordable at $199 for the 2007+ and $249 for the 2005-2006 and you get full unlocking and use of the display for DVD Playback, IPOD Video Etc. so it really does not make any sense to do it.

#153 ·
How about the size tom, there is not much room back there I would want either a longer harness so i could locate the lockpick on the side of the nav unit near the air outlets but behind the nav unit there is like less than a inch to squeeze something in. I have a 2005. The toggle switch unlocks all menu except dvd playback and any speed, but it just last 1 minute or so, then you have to re toggle if you are not finished entering, once your done with the phone or address entry or whatever you are doing you just toggle back to re enable the VSS while in route. Works fine.

#156 ·
How about the size tom, there is not much room back there I would want either a longer harness so i could locate the lockpick on the side of the nav unit near the air outlets but behind the nav unit there is like less than a inch to squeeze something in. I have a 2005.
I'm very surprised at your comment. I would agree that there isn't much space for the connectors; it is a bit tricky to get them positioned and the GPS connector attached before re-installing the Nav head-end. But I found abundant space for the Lockpick once routing the harness as shown in the video.

My trick to positioning the extra connectors (times 2 because of my uPAC-STS) is to run a length of string behind the dash framework & head-end to hold the connectors in the available cutout. Once installed, a firm tug on the string gets it out. Tighten the bolts & I'm done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.