Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thanks for the great replies! Another question--are the nav units essentially the same from 05 on?...
    next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

Thanks for the great replies! Another question--are the nav units essentially the same from 05 on?

STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

cool so the nav corrected itself for you. now the onstar, u mentioned about it. you can use the rear view mirrior buttons without issue? also could u use the steering wheel no issue? if u can talk to the onstar ppl u should be able to use the cell service no problem.

sts4ga is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 1SG 2005 CTS-V

Glad you got it back from the "white screen". It scared me just reading about it

Here's hoping you can get the BT worked out.

Mine works well but the mic/positioning or something makes the audio sound pretty crappy. You may want to think about going to a different mic or a different mic position other than the RV mirror. My wife drives our STS and uses the BT a lot and it's hard to understand her sometimes.

Just something to think about while you're working on it.

Yea, the VR and audio/vid inputs. Who cares? I don't see where you would EVER miss them...

Now get to work on the HUD!

snum1fan is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Yes I don't have Onstar activated but I tries it and I can push the steering wheel button then say call whatever number and it says there are no minutes connecting to Onstar then it rings through to Onstar.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Too complicated. I think I will still use my little 1962 transister radio. lol

cremecreme is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I looked on EBAY and found various STS NAVI systems, but each year shows a different part number? And also can I use a NAVI from 08 on a 06 Cadillac STS???? Also, do you have a link concerning the hook up of a GPS antenna....i seen your write up....but do I splice from the wiring harness or where do I hook one in? And do I just buy any GPS antenna from EBAY, or do recommend a certain kind

So far out of the five people I know who have done it none of us have tried an 08 NAV. I have an 07 NAV on my 05, and the others all have 05-06 NAVs on they're 05-06. My guess would be that it would work. I dont think that anything has changed in the harnesses.

The GPS antenna you need is the one with the pink connector. The NAVs have a pink connector on the back of them and the GPS antenna has a pink connector on it also. The blue connector is for TV antenna. If you find an antenna on Ebay with a pink connector it will work but the only ones I found were ones with white connectors. Some of the NAVs from Ebay and auto recyclers have the connectors and harnesses still on the back of them. Like they just cut the wires instead of pulling the connectors out. Those NAVs are your best bet. If you get one with the wires you can use the white connector antenna from ebay and just splice into the cut wire coming from the pink connector. you can also use the connectors to hook up A/V inputs.

I have a list of part numbers from 05-07 NAVs I just have to find it. When I do I will post them. I'm sure that any NAV from a STS will work just make sure you can see what the back of one looks like. I have saw some that look different. Dont trust that because it says from a STS it really is. I have saw ones from lades and SRX's on there that say from a STS.

One from a STS will look like this on the back.

Thank you!! You have been more than a great help!!! I am so appreciative that you put this information out to us and with so much detail!!! I have been on some forums, where ppl figure out something, and never help anyone else. When you get a chance...i purchased the NAVI off Ebay, but unfortunately there were no connectors availiable...do you have the part numbers i need for that wiring harness...and the blue connector antenna did you hook that one up???? I will be trying the 08 NAV...so we shall see...i will post updates and pics as soon as i can

You are most welcome.

The blue connector is for the TV antenna. there was a discussion a week or so ago where they said that since everything went digital it no longer works and if you put one of those converters in the car it doesnt get signal well when you are moving.

The connectors are kinda hard to find. The only one I know of you can order is the black 16 pin one that the non NAV STS already has. You can then cut it in half and use it as the 10 pin one for the A/V inputs. Over in the CTS forum they talk about using a VW harness and one guy said he couold only find the harness connectors from one vendor and he hald to buy like 100 of them. Maybe if there is enough interest we could buy a lot of them and everyone pitch in.

If you buy a lockpikck it comes with the brownish red connector.

I am pretty sure that the 08 NAV will work no problems. I dont think anything was changed. If it does work I think you only need to get the $230 lockpick instead of the $300 modified lockpick.

To check for connectors call around to junk yards and look on Ebay for NAVs that have the connectors still on the back of them and try to buy just the connectors. The connectors are part of the dash wiring harness but I was quoted between $200-300 for a complete dash wiring harness.

Try www.car-part.com or www.LKcorp.com

Also look on Ebay. Specifically at LKQonline and Schram (Ebay stores)

If you need any help let me know and I will be more than happy to help in any way I can.

Well with your advice i decided against the 08, I found more than a couple 05 NAVI's with wiring harnesses still on them in $500 range.... car part com had like 12..but some were scratched...so be careful out there...ask for detailed pics....so I am good on that part....just the GPS portion...i will try the route you went by going behind the radio and on the back part of the dash for mounting.

On carpart.com the gps antennas are under antenna and some are under nav/gps and some under radio/stereo. They are around $100 on any of the GM parts site. I have pictures of the antenna install I wll post sometime.

caddimike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Gentlemen, I have an extra OEM nav for those of you that plan on installing a OEM nav in your non nav STS. I have successfully installed a OEM nave in my non nav STS. I did this by following a thread started a couple months ago by Polarbear with the help of sum1fan. The reason why I have an extra one is because I ordered one from the dealer at cost then I learned after I recevied it that the nav unit I purchased, came with one. Needless to say, I could not return the antenna to the dealer.

So, anyone interested, let me know. $60??? I have a Paypal account. If not, you'll eventually see it on eBay... Also, although sum1fan is more of an expert, I'm willng to offer any help should you have any questions. If you do go through with installing an OEM nav and want to be able to play your IPod or MP3, I may have a low cost solution for you rather than buying an Ipac.

STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

so ur selling a nav or a antenna?

caddimike is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Antenna, sorry.

Alright so really the only reason I need the NAVI with the Wiring Harness pigtail is for the GPS anntenna wire? When i get the NAVI, you said I basically unplug my radio and plug the 2 plugs into the NAVI unit??? I guess I am having trouble understanding, I havn't been able to find a low price NAVI with wiring harness.....but you said I can just order the GPS anntenna? does this come with the wire I need ? That is the only part I am confused on? There are alot of low priced NAVI's but with no pigtail attached? Can I do it and buy the rest or you said it will be 2 hard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.