Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I guess so. It thinks I am in upstate new york....
    snum1fan is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

I guess so. It thinks I am in upstate new york.

sts4ga is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 1SG 2005 CTS-V

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snum1fan View Post
    I guess so. It thinks I am in upstate new york.
    That's great! I'm sure you can't wait to get your antenna!

Yea cant wait!!!!!!

I also cant wait to get my terminated connectors so I can try to hook up the A/V inputs and I also cant wait to get my lockpick and see if it is going to work.

I spoke with Coastal tech and I told them that ALOT of people are going to be adding NAVs now and that if the lockpick works with me I will tell all on the orum that it will work. If it doesnt work they agreed to take it back with no restocking fee. :-)

OK so I hooked up the antenna. One of the techs at my local Cadillac dealer told me that on the Cadillacs that come with nav the antenna is mounted beneath the dash. I tried to hook it up under the dash center speaker grill but couldn't get a good signal. I think it may have been because I had to drive for a few to let the nav recalibrate itself.

There is a TSB that says that if you change a nav in a Cadillac and it displays somewhere other than it is, that you have to drive for a little while so it can recalibrate itself.

I think the antenna may have worked under the grill but after driving for 10 miles or so I got anxious and took it out and put it in front of the light sensor by the windshield.

The part of the dash by the windshield is a panel that can be popped up and then you can mount the antenna wherever up there you want. you can feed the antenna wire through the opening in the back of where the radio goes.

I also hooked up a lockpick today and it works perfect also.

So needless to say I am very happy!!!

Oh yea,

And that thread recently that showed how to enter a diagnostic mode on the nav.....

I was in there messing around and I reset the GPS location trying to get it to show where I am. Well somehow I erased the firmware from the nav and all it would do was show a white screen that said "CAUTION Please insert the correct system update disc".

Basically I got scared shit and thought that I probably fried it. Kinda like when you update the BIOS on a motherboard and something goes wrong and it gets stuck on some screen because you just bricked it.

I tried to reset all modules by holding the batt cables together and nothing.

I took it to my dealer and they installed the newest firmware and all is good.

jersey237 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS

very impressive

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Yea cant wait!!!!!!

I also cant wait to get my terminated connectors so I can try to hook up the A/V inputs and I also cant wait to get my lockpick and see if it is going to work.

I spoke with Coastal tech and I told them that ALOT of people are going to be adding NAVs now and that if the lockpick works with me I will tell all on the orum that it will work. If it doesnt work they agreed to take it back with no restocking fee. :-)
    Glad it worked for you. BTW we are not Coastal Tech and I know you got the lockpick from us.

In any case to get a full working navigation unit you still have your work cut out for you. I can attach the wiring diagrams to show all the wires you are missing and they are mostly for voice commands, center channel, subwoofer outputs etc. I am assuming since you are missing the additional connectors you dont have the 15 speaker bose option?

Yea I have and posted the Wiring diagrams. I do not have the 15 speaker Bose. I checked all my speakers work.

I also stated in this thread that the VR will not work and you won't have A/V inputs.

Some of the navs on eBay and carpart.com come with the connectors hooked to the nav. Or you could try to buy them from someone like I did. Then you could hook the inputs and VR up.

I know the inputs will be easy. I'm thinking to get the VR to work you could tap into the onstar mic. I haven't really looked into it. For one I prob won't use it and I read everywhere it doesn't really work too great.

I have bluetooth also people just can't hear me. When I tap into that onstar mic I think it will work.

So basically the only thing you are missing from a "fully working nav unit" is VR and AV inputs. I don't think too many people that have non nav 6 disc radios will care about that. As far as I'm concerned I have a fully working nav.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Obviously many of us are very interested and I agree about the VR and inputs. Do all of the memory functions work. Also, is it pretty straight forward for the dealer to "activate" the unit or does it take an expert? Also, if you have Onstar activated, does it mute the radio and so on?

Yes all of the memory functions and EVERY other vehicle function that you could change with the stock 6 disc works on the nav. I dont have Onstar activated but yes the onstar mutes and I can place a call to Onstar.

By activated do you mean remove the theftlock? When you get the navand hook it up and turn it on it will say theftlock. There are a bunch of threads about it on here and it works and unlocks just like any other radio or nav. You take it to the dealer and they hook the Tech 2 up to it and clear the VIN and then cycle the ignition and it relearns the new VIN and it is unlocked. Thats all the theftlock is. When you turn on the car everytime the radio or nav checks with the instrument cluster for a VIN. If the VIN in the cluster and the VIN in the NAV or radio matches it works. If not, it goes into theftlock.

Other than that there is no "activating" the unit.

I have read SO much information about the NAV including the 136 page manual. EVERY function works except the VR and the A/V inputs.

STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

what about the nav? did it relearn itself?

What do you mean by relearn? Relearn the VIN? If that's what you mean of course it did. Thats how im using it right now. It works just like any other nav. I have Navigation, CD/DVD, XM, radio everything but VR and A/V inputs. And Ill have the inputs whenever I get around to installing the jack and running the wires.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Yea I have and posted the Wiring diagrams. I do not have the 15 speaker Bose. I checked all my speakers work.

I also stated in this thread that the VR will not work and you won't have A/V inputs.

Some of the navs on eBay and carpart.com come with the connectors hooked to the nav. Or you could try to buy them from someone like I did. Then you could hook the inputs and VR up.

I know the inputs will be easy. I'm thinking to get the VR to work you could tap into the onstar mic. I haven't really looked into it. For one I prob won't use it and I read everywhere it doesn't really work too great.

I have bluetooth also people just can't hear me. When I tap into that onstar mic I think it will work.

So basically the only thing you are missing from a "fully working nav unit" is VR and AV inputs. I don't think too many people that have non nav 6 disc radios will care about that. As far as I'm concerned I have a fully working nav.
    Does the audio output on it sound the same as your original head unit? I am surprised since the bose amplifier is different in both vehicles and there are additional sound outputs that you are not using? Do you have normal bass response?

The sound sounds better with the nav. Just like polarbear said his does.

STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

wel u said when u hooked up the nav antenna it was it didn't know where it was, and i think u mentioned later that just driving it around it would get it's baring.

Yea the one of the techs at my caddy dealer told me that even the brand new one show where they were loaded on the truck when they arrvive. He said after they drive it a couple blocks or let it run for a min it relocates itself. I have discovered that if you go to calibrate it let's you enter your position and then within a min or so it will pick up gps signal.

I was having problems because I was trying to hook up a lockpick my ipac aux (iPod) and the antenna (for the first time) all at the same time. Why I should have done from the beginning was hook the antenna up and let it get signal and relocate itself then hook up the ipac and lockpick.

I also read a TSB that said if a nav is replaced or after changing the battery if there is no gps signal or the tracking of the vehicle is off that driving it will make evrything better.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.