Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have digital radio and digital onstar, but not the XM. so that mean I have a tuner capable of ...
    STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

I have digital radio and digital onstar, but not the XM. so that mean I have a tuner capable of xm radio once the nav is in?

snum1fan is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

I have no idea. All I know is if you used to have XM, and you install the nav, your still going to have onstar.

well onstar i have, i never had xm on my standard non-nav radio. didnt know they had xm radio version stock radios. not like that is a huge deal for me.

sts4ga is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 1SG 2005 CTS-V

GOOD JOB MAN

It's nice to see folks really digging into these cars and doing things that "can't be done"!

I think I read that the nav input is tied into the GPS signal but you would think that the DVD player would also work since your nav "thinks" the car is sitting still without an antenna...

Maybe there is a speedometer signal for the DVD and a GPS signal for the nav...

Anyway. Great job! Now put a HUD in and tell us how you did it

ya i want a hud. i bet the wiring is there, just need to pop the dash open connect it, and get a new dash piece.

sorry if i sound, unknowing, trying to learn as i go, so radio that has xm already will still have it, digital am/fm radio that never had xm will still not have xm once the nav is in.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by STE_6000 View Post
    sorry if i sound, unknowing, trying to learn as i go, so radio that has xm already will still have it, digital am/fm radio that never had xm will still not have xm once the nav is in.
    That's the way I read it--the XM module is a separate add on and compatible with either radio/nav unit. It's hard to believe they even had the non-XM versions but the fleet/rental market often didn't want them.

I have rented over 15 2008-2009 STS from Avis, Thrifty, Hertz, and National. EVERYONE had XM. NONE had nav. From my experience, when you rent nicer cars they usually have things like XM, Onstar, etc. And they put cards where you can easily find them telling you how to use it. (usually people steal these cards.) I got the impression that the car manufacturer does this in hopes that you will like it and want to buy one.

From my understanding, putting a XM equipped nav in will not give you XM. You would need the XM module and the XM antenna (or harness to roof antenna).

While Im sure you could add XM. I have no idea how hard it would be and how much $ it would cost.

might be easier to go after market inless i dont bother worring about xm. i'd like to get the touch screeen but i want to know how hard it will be to hook up the nav antenna

I will be hooking up the NAV antenna when it gets delivered to me sometime later on in the week. I have dont alot of research on this and according to Alldata it will not be very hard.

As soon as I get it and put it in I will post pics and how to.

how much you pay for your nav unit?

$385 shipped on Ebay. There are NAVs on there all the time. There are some for $600-800, but a lot times I see some on there for $300-500.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by snum1fan View Post
    I have rented over 15 2008-2009 STS from Avis, Thrifty, Hertz, and National. EVERYONE had XM. NONE had nav. From my experience, when you rent nicer cars they usually have things like XM, Onstar, etc. And they put cards where you can easily find them telling you how to use it. (usually people steal these cards.) I got the impression that the car manufacturer does this in hopes that you will like it and want to buy one.

From my understanding, putting a XM equipped nav in will not give you XM. You would need the XM module and the XM antenna (or harness to roof antenna).

While Im sure you could add XM. I have no idea how hard it would be and how much $ it would cost.
    Fleets will do funny things to save a buck. Also, XM is not available in Hawaii, parts of Canada, and Alaska and until recently neither was Onstar so GM has rpo UEO to delete Onstar, and U2J to delete XM. Some of you may have read that untill recently GM even had a side airbag delete option (aka the Enterprise fiasco). When these cars hit the used car market, owners will wind up with some strange combinations.

OK I got my NAV disc today, but am still waiting on the antenna.

Know whats wired? I read in another post somewhere about people wondering if we have a gyro in the STS.

Well we must have because the NAV still has no idea where I am or that I'm moving, but when I turn it turns the map with me. HAS to be the gyro.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWg6MX0e1jE&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EWg6MX0e1jE&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

sts4ga is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 1SG 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by snum1fan View Post
    OK I got my NAV disc today, but am still waiting on the antenna.

Know whats wired? I read in another post somewhere about people wondering if we have a gyro in the STS.

Well we must have because the NAV still has no idea where I am or that I'm moving, but when I turn it turns the map with me. HAS to be the gyro.
    Pretty neat. So does your nav still think it's in the place it was when the antenna was removed?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.