Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The reason Tomm's modified Lockpick's are required for 2005 and 2006 is that the lockout on later models is not ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

The reason Tomm's modified Lockpick's are required for 2005 and 2006 is that the lockout on later models is not quite as thorough (gps factor). They are also required for pre-2008 models with ACC because they don't have the steering-wheel mute button. Some 2007 models don't 'play well' with standard Lockpick's, too.

If you are determined to let your passenger use all system controls while you're driving buy a Lockpick from Tomm. He will stand behind it.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

There is no way to get the Navigation unit to work for both DVD Playback and the Ability to use GPS without a lockpick and there is no way around this. Cutting the VSS will tell the vehicle you are not moving and in newer models 2007+ might even unlock the some locked menu's but if you have a 2005 & 2006 the navigation unit will definitely go into the next lockout at exactly 8 MPH so you then have to disconnect the GPS as well so what good is doing all this if you cant use the navigation any more.

If there is enough demand we can build a cheaper product just for unlocking the menu's with an override switch like the modified lockpicks but the cost of the lockpicks are very affordable at $199 for the 2007+ and $249 for the 2005-2006 and you get full unlocking and use of the display for DVD Playback, IPOD Video Etc. so it really does not make any sense to do it.

mike sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

How about the size tom, there is not much room back there I would want either a longer harness so i could locate the lockpick on the side of the nav unit near the air outlets but behind the nav unit there is like less than a inch to squeeze something in. I have a 2005. The toggle switch unlocks all menu except dvd playback and any speed, but it just last 1 minute or so, then you have to re toggle if you are not finished entering, once your done with the phone or address entry or whatever you are doing you just toggle back to re enable the VSS while in route. Works fine.

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS
    The lockpick fits just fine on the side by the air vent the way it is now. That's where it's supposed to go. No one ever said or suggested to put it behind the NAV.

there are video instructions either on tomms site or on coastals. Forget which one.

Video's are on the first page of the Official Lockpick Thread, Yes there is plenty of room with the harness that comes with the Lockpick to mount it on the side of the navigation unit. There definately is very little room behind the navigation unit and the hardest part of the Lockpick install is getting the navigation back in place with the added space taken from the T-harness.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sts View Post
    How about the size tom, there is not much room back there I would want either a longer harness so i could locate the lockpick on the side of the nav unit near the air outlets but behind the nav unit there is like less than a inch to squeeze something in. I have a 2005.
    I'm very surprised at your comment. I would agree that there isn't much space for the connectors; it is a bit tricky to get them positioned and the GPS connector attached before re-installing the Nav head-end. But I found abundant space for the Lockpick once routing the harness as shown in the video.

My trick to positioning the extra connectors (times 2 because of my uPAC-STS) is to run a length of string behind the dash framework & head-end to hold the connectors in the available cutout. Once installed, a firm tug on the string gets it out. Tighten the bolts & I'm done.

The string sounds like a good way to get the harness tucked back there, I an happy enough for now with the toggle switch cause the dvd in motion isnt a big deal for me. if the price drops for a 05 lockpick in the future i may give it a try, my reason for posting in this thread was not the comparrison of a toggle switch vs a lockpick but to communicate that the reason this person had a nav unit that was not locking him out in motion was that he had both the gps wire and VSS wire not connected but inevitably he would need to connect both to get full function

It has been suggested that '05 & '06 Nav lockouts also incorporated the gyro running in the Nav. I think I recall someone proving that this is not so.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    It has been suggested that '05 & '06 Nav lockouts also incorporated the gyro running in the Nav. I think I recall someone proving that this is not so.
    That is 100% correct. In 2005 & 2006 and some later models the head unit will automatically re-lock if the navigation senses you moving over 8 MPH so you will have to use the navigation unit with the GPS antenna disconnected. If your going to do this then there is no benefit from unlocking the menus because you cant use the navigation anyway.

I can only speak for my 2005 sts4 1sg but others have done this as well with the same results the whole procedure is outlined in another post on here. Temporarily disabling the VSS unlocks all menus at any speed for about 30 to 60 seconds, if that is not enough time you must re enable the VSS disable again and finish. If the line is through the GPS i.e no sats locked in you get longer to enter i.e. until it locks the sats. The 8 MPH lockout only occurs if the VSS is enabled. YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISCONNECT THE GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sts View Post
    The 8 MPH lockout only occurs if the VSS is enabled. YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISCONNECT THE GPS.
    You are incorrect. The reason disconnecting the VSS temporarily unlocks the menu's only for for a very short period (Seconds) is because the GPS is sensing your speed over 8MPH and then it re-locks once it determines your GPS speed.

The reason you get maybe 30 seconds or so is because the Navigation unit relies heavily on VSS to move you along the map since its usually more accurate. The Navigation system only every 30 or 60 seconds checks GPS to make sure you are still on the MAP correctly.

Want to test this just disconnect the GPS and VSS and you will see the menu's will stay UNLOCKED or just disconnect VSS and drive slowly under 8 MPH and again it will stay UNLOCKED.

we are saying the same thing disable VSS unlocks all menus except dvd for 30 to 60 seconds at any speed over 8 mph i forgot that part. If you have not finished entering you must re enable then disable vss again

Mike - Why would you want to dink around? Do it right or don't bother at all. Just my opinion...

Enjoy your ride.

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS
    Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Mike - Why would you want to dink around? Do it right or don't bother at all. Just my opinion...

Enjoy your ride.
    Yup +1

Hey guys the toggle switch, tap connectors and wire cost me under 10.00 at radioshack and was easy to install, I think we pretty well hig jacked this guys thread so im done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.