Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; When you're using Bluetooth, your phone's antenna still links to the Cell Tower. My LG phone connects to the car ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

When you're using Bluetooth, your phone's antenna still links to the Cell Tower. My LG phone connects to the car if I'm within 20 feet. It's kinda inconvenient if I'm loading the trunk but it works great if I'm talking on the phone and get in & drive off. The transistion is almost seamless.

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

Re: Added nav to non nav sts! 100% confirmed vid and pics. Thank you polarbear05!!!

The problem isnt your phone connecting with the cell antenna. The problem is that when the caller speaks you cannot hear them.

All phones when connected to BT turn the phones speaker off and instead use the BT sources speaker. It would sound funny to have both the car and the phone, or the BT headset and the phones speaker playing the voice.

mike sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I beleive some of the wires in the 2 connectors you are missing are needed for the nav to function correctly. Once you connect your GPS antena I assume the unit will recognize it is moving and lock you out of entry while moving also without the brown speed sensing wire connected the nav will not be able to calculate total time to a destination or orient vehicle correctly on map, without the speed sensing wire if you loose nav signal beacuse of clouds wheather obstructions car will get lost on map wont be able to position itself until gps signal comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sts View Post
    I beleive some of the wires in the 2 connectors you are missing are needed for the nav to function correctly. Once you connect your GPS antena I assume the unit will recognize it is moving and lock you out of entry while moving also without the brown speed sensing wire connected the nav will not be able to calculate total time to a destination or orient vehicle correctly on map, without the speed sensing wire if you loose nav signal beacuse of clouds wheather obstructions car will get lost on map wont be able to position itself until gps signal comes back.
    Ummm. As I stated above the two wires that are "missing" are actually there they're just in different pins on the Bose amp.

These two wires are for the audio mute for vr and bt. Nothin to do with general NAV function

The NAVs vss wire has nothing to do with calculating how long to get somewhere. It's in the software just like on a Garmin or other gps.

The very only reason you need to hook up a vss wire is because sometimes the NAVs gps screen will get stuck facing east.

Quote Originally Posted by LAC_STS View Post
    The NAVs vss wire has nothing to do with calculating how long to get somewhere. It's in the software just like on a Garmin or other gps.
    This does not match my experience. If I'm flying, my ETA seems to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    This does not match my experience. If I'm flying, my ETA seems to drop.
    Yea but it does the same thing on a Garmin, tom Tom or any other gps. I used my STS nav without a vss wire for months and it beside it locking east sometimes it worked perfectly.

How does a Garmin or other gps decrease your time to arrival when your flying??? Because it calculates your position on the map and knows how far away you are.

Have you ever used a Garmin or other gps? Works just fine without a gps hug? The reasons the STS needs a locks east without a vss wire is because it has a gyro. I mean come on think about it.

There is so much mis information out there about the STS, especially anything that doesn't come from the factory. Go ask a dealer about any mods and 9 times out of ten they'll tell you it's not possible because we were told it's not. That's the same way it is on here.

Idk sorry echase. Just venting. I can get info on how to install a blown 502 jet drive into my sterdrive boat easier than I can get info on how to program a 08+ key fob.

It's really annoying. Noone should have to prove anything here. But meanwhile it's been a ongoing prove this or that discussion abou the nav install.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

do you really need help with the key fob programming?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    do you really need help with the key fob programming?
    When I got my STS last year no one here nor the dealer knew if you could program a 08+ key fob to a 05-07. There's a few threads on it. I bet if I would have came into your dealer I would have been told the same thing.

That's why I said 08+ key fob and not just key fob. Maybe I should have been clearer.

The dealer said it was "different technology" and in no way was possible.

Same thing here. No one had done it and no one thought it would work.

Point was there is so much bad info out there on the STS. All cars have some bad info but the STS is the worst I've seen.

Go to mycarstats and look at the complaints about the STS. One person had the farting noise that's caused by the a/c duct or whatever. Multiple dealers not only didn't know how to fix it but they didn't even know what was causing it. Even though it's been discussed here and I forget who but one member who is a caddy tech I think ewill3rd said he fixes em all the time.

There's a lot of stuff that can be done, can be fixed, etc that a lot of dealers have no clue about.

Everythig I asked my dealer if it was possible they said no. Not they'd never done it before or they don't thing so it was always it's impossible.

Two different dealers told me to put a 08-11 front fascia on I'd have to change the fenders and hood and all kinds of crap. Well we all know that's not true now.

Same thing with the NAV and the 08+ key fob. It goes on and on.

And it's not just me or the dealers I went to. Mycarstats show tons of people who have very common problems for the STS and no dealers they go to know how to fix it.

It's really bs. If I was a dealer I would be all for someone showing or telling me how they installed a NAV or programmer a better key fob, or upgraded the front fascia. Then I could tell other owners and maybe sell some more cars by offering the service.

so you can program the 08 keyfob to the 05-07?
    if so, is it the same procedure?

i get your frustration... it's just ignorance, lack of interest, laziness that causes most people to just kill time while at work
    if they figured out all this stuff then they'd have more work to do

finding service people (from bartenders to automotive technicians) that do quality work and are knowledgeable in their field is something that is really tough but kind of a 'fact of life'
    it's when you're in a warranty period and you have to go to the dealership that provides horrible service that you really feel taken since you're basically captive

not many people know this, but you can take your cadillac to any gm dealership for warranty work (except recalls - they must be done at the cadillac dealership)
    so if you're unhappy with the level of service you're getting i suggest you try other cadillac dealers and all the other dealers in your area
    also of course call and complain to gm/cadillac customer service
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    so you can program the 08 keyfob to the 05-07?
    if so, is it the same procedure?

i get your frustration... it's just ignorance, lack of interest, laziness that causes most people to just kill time while at work
    if they figured out all this stuff then they'd have more work to do

finding service people (from bartenders to automotive technicians) that do quality work and are knowledgeable in their field is something that is really tough but kind of a 'fact of life'
    it's when you're in a warranty period and you have to go to the dealership that provides horrible service that you really feel taken since you're basically captive

not many people know this, but you can take your cadillac to any gm dealership for warranty work (except recalls - they must be done at the cadillac dealership)
    so if you're unhappy with the level of service you're getting i suggest you try other cadillac dealers and all the other dealers in your area
    also of course call and complain to gm/cadillac customer service
    I bought my STS from a chevy dealer. They gave me two free oil change coupons. When I went for the first one they told me that the STS manual calls for NON synthetic (conventional) oil. I told then it calls for mobile 1 that it's in the manual. They said they looked and it doesn't. They brought the car back out to me and said that's all they could do. I opened the hood and showed them it says mobile 1 on the oil fill cap and they got all red in the face and kept saying sorry.

Then before I did the NAV upgrade I swapped the regular cd player for a 6 disc. I went to there to get the theftlock off. You would think it would be pretty simple huh. I was there for two hours and they couldn't do it. The tech called the tech line at GM and everythig. I then took it to the caddy dealer and they did it in ten mins. I was in the car with the tech at the chevy dealer and watched him try it. Problem was he was cycling the ign too fast. I told him maybe he should wait a few seconds like the instructions he had said.

I don't think they know anything about the cadillacs.

Another thing is that chevy dealer gave me a free 3K mile 90 day warranty. My water pump started leaking a week after I bought it. I took it to the chevy dealer and they fixed it and did the recall for the rear end seal. Crazy huh?

About the key fob. The dealer who told me it was different technology didn't want to try to program it. The car only had one key fob when I bought it but three were programmed so I wanted all of them erased and my new 08+ one as #1. The service writer is cool and would have tried but the service manager hates me and wouldn't let him write it up. He hates me because he's the one the writer turned to when I asked about the front fascia, NAV, and key fob.

I paid a tech there $20 on the side while he was changing my oil and he programmed it. He said it's just like any other key fob.

I didn't mean to be smart about the key fob thing with you I'm just really over this crap. Even on here when someone does something everyone wants proof. You have to post a video about your nav install or everyone thinks your just lying and posting it for the hell of it. I must have saw ten threads on here that were after the polarbear thread where someone asked shot installing a NAV. There's nothing but it's impossible replies.

I think some of it's an ego thing. After someone who I told it was impossible to install a 08+ front fascia came in with it done I think I would have asked how he did it. And maybe even tried to talk to him about the NAV install he was gonna try. Or just maybe try to program his 08+ key fob.

But it's not like that. Instead the guy won't even look at me when I go there. The service writer thinks it's cool though.

I dunno I'm sorry to vent on this thread. Thanks rippy. Sorry again.

no problem man - i totally see where you're coming from
    we've done some escalade keyfob upgrades (upgrading 07s to the 08 style i think)
    these types of issues at the dealerships happen most of the times when you've got people who tend to (or want to) just 'go through the motions'
    they don't want to learn and they just want to make a buck - so a guy like you gets either lip service or turned/pushed away
    i get customers all the time who are told at other dealerships that they have to tow their car in to program a new key
    i tell the customer that person they talked to is probably just ignorant (but i can tell that the customer is thinking that dealership was just trying to scam them out of an hour of labor, basically)

on the forums i can understand your frustrations too
    theres a whole other element going on
    some people think they know it all, like the ignorant dealership staff
    some people are just trolls
    some people have a bad day (or week)
    and sometimes honest inquiry is taken wrong due to communication breakdown that's prevalent in online communications

in both cases (in dealings w/ dealerships and forum frustrations) you've got to just 'keep on keepin on'
    don't let the naysayers get you down. just keep at it and make sure you communicate the best that you can and hope it comes across to others the way you intended it

it feels good to vent though, right? it's not good to let things that bother you get all bottled up - you'll eventually explode
    in my opinion it doesn't matter who you tell, your shrink, your spouse, your mistress, your mother, your child, your friend, a stranger on the forums
    i think that people can't move on sometimes when things bother them and just talking about it helps them digest it mentally so they can move past it

Idk sorry echase. Just venting. I can get info on how to install a blown 502 jet drive into my sterdrive boat easier than I can get info on how to program a 08+ key fob.

It's really annoying. Noone should have to prove anything here. But meanwhile it's been a ongoing prove this or that discussion abou the nav install.
    I'm sorry if you feel other members or I withhold what we 'know' or are just out to prove something. There are a bunch of threads and posts on most topics and sometimes we tire of the same ol' same ol' over & over. Generally, we offer what we think will help.

About idiot dealers... shoot the targit, not the other marksmen.

mike sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ummm. As I stated above the two wires that are "missing" are actually there they're just in different pins on the Bose amp.

These two wires are for the audio mute for vr and bt. Nothin to do with general NAV function

The very only reason you need to hook up a vss wire is because sometimes the NAVs gps screen will get stuck facing east.
    I have a 2005 sts with Nav. I cut the brown VSS wire and attached a toggle switch to it. Directions on how to do this and parts to use are on this site. From experience I can tell you when you disable the VSS wire this allows all functions to work on nav except the DVD the GPS antenae would need to be disconnected for DVD tp play in motion I beleive, there is more info on this in the post about this elwhere just search coastal tech. Anyway once you disable the VSS it only un grays out functions for about one minute before they are disabled again, you must togle the switch the re engage the VSS then disable again if you have not finished what you were doing. This does not apply if the line is through the GPS signal i.e. you have not locked in the sats or there is ubstruction. The system will lock you out when moving based on GPS alone, you cannot leave the VSS disconnected forever you must put a toggle switch on it. With the VSS disabled the car will go off the map and face the wrong direction until the GPS re positions the car, and the STS NAV will not predict ETA without the VSS connected.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sts View Post
    I have a 2005 sts with Nav. I cut the brown VSS wire and attached a toggle switch to it. Directions on how to do this and parts to use are on this site. From experience I can tell you when you disable the VSS wire this allows all functions to work on nav except the DVD the GPS antenae would need to be disconnected for DVD tp play in motion I beleive, there is more info on this in the post about this elwhere just search coastal tech. Anyway once you disable the VSS it only un grays out functions for about one minute before they are disabled again, you must togle the switch the re engage the VSS then disable again if you have not finished what you were doing. This does not apply if the line is through the GPS signal i.e. you have not locked in the sats or there is ubstruction. The system will lock you out when moving based on GPS alone, you cannot leave the VSS disconnected forever you must put a toggle switch on it. With the VSS disabled the car will go off the map and face the wrong direction until the GPS re positions the car, and the STS NAV will not predict ETA without the VSS connected.
    Yea the NAV gps will eventually get stuck facing east if the vss is left unhooked for long enough.

And unless you find a way to toggle the gps antenna then you will still get locked out. I guess it's ok just to enter some directions real quick. Another member had posted this same thing a while ago. But he said it only works for about 15 seconds.

I'd imagine that the pink gps connector is available to order. I think XM uses the same connector.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.