Fog Build up in the headlight
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Fog Build up in the headlight in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey Today i looked at the front of my car and noticed that the front drivers side headlight was all ...
    Unique Distributing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS

Fog Build up in the headlight

Hey
    Today i looked at the front of my car and noticed that the front drivers side headlight was all fogged up fromt he inside. Anyone know the problem and how to fix this

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Re: Fog Build up in the headlight

I haven't had this happen, but there are several earlier threads on this forum that you may want to search. My understanding is that this will be fixed if still under warranty. others have removed the headlight(s) and sealed any cracks or openings--but that requires removing the bumper.

Imsys is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 sts v8 awd

Drill a tiny hole in the very bottom of the head light... it will clear up

bierman.d is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 V8

I've had this same problem twice already.. both times it went away by itself after a few weeks.
    Next time it happens, if I drilled a hole to release the condensation, would I have problems with junk entering the casing, or would the fogging happen more often?

Thanks.

jrrsmith18 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 catera, 08 sts

so to everyone who had fog build up in their headlights, what did you do to get rid of it? i tried using a hair dryer but that made things worse, like more fog built up at the top of the headlight. its probably from when i put hids on, i must not have made a good seal.

LAC_STS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS

DO NOT drill a hole in your headlight.

This will just allow more moisture to get into your headlight.

The best thingnto do is to take the headlights out and remove the dust covers from them. Let them sit out and dry. For a while. After it dries put a bead of clear silicone on the rubber seal of the dust cover. Then put the dust covers back on and it will seal the headlight.

The reason you get moisture in there is because the rubber seal of the dust cover goes bad, rots, shrinks whatever and then moisture gets in.

If you dint take care if it the moisture will make water marks inside the headlight where you cannot get them out and it looks like shit.

CaddyThings is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by Unique Distributing View Post
    Hey
    Today i looked at the front of my car and noticed that the front drivers side hid headlights was all fogged up fromt he inside. Anyone know the problem and how to fix this

thanks!

Do not even think of drilling a hole haha.

Lagging Larry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS 1SF+

Happened to me a couple of years ago while the car was still under the factory warranty. I was told that the problem was a blocked vent tube. The dealer removed the headlight cover, unplugged (or replaced) the vent tube, and then resealed the headlight. Haven't had the problem come back.

sburgin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

So I'm not having this particular issue, but siimilar - my headlight lens looks yellowed and when I rub my hands across the surface of the lens, it feels as if the surface is uneven (as if parts of the lens surface is gone). is this a different symptom ? If so, is there a fix short of an expensive lens replacement ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.