Outside temp sensor and car washes - issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Outside temp sensor and car washes - issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Anyone else have this? When I wash the car, the outside temperature reads 10 to 15 degrees low for several ...
    carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Outside temp sensor and car washes - issue

Anyone else have this? When I wash the car, the outside temperature reads 10 to 15 degrees low for several hours afterwards. It will eventually go back to normal, but it takes a really long time.

I'm pretty sure that sensor is behind the grill and, of course, gets wet when I spray the grill. I'm thinking the sensor probably has a problem, but if other people say they have this, I won't worry about it.

Also, anyone have the part number for this sensor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

snum1fan is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

Re: Outside temp sensor and car washes - issue

It happens to me too. I haven't paid enough attention to it t see if lasts for a couple hours. I am planning on washing my car tomorrow, so I will let you know how long mine does it for.

Force-1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac STS

My STS does this too, as well as several other outside temp equipped vehicles I've owned.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Every car I've had with outside temp sensors has done this. I think they get wet and the evaporation creates a cooling effect fooling the sensor.

trackbait is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS - Grey/Black Northstar NAV

Speaking from having had 2 Vettes, the OAT sensor may not read correctly until the car has been driven for 3 miles or more at a speed in excess of 25 MPH. This is part of the computer processing that helps protect the HVAC system.

Mine reads consistently 3 degrees above actual temperature. Don't know why. Hardly think the OAt is bad with only 16k on an 08

Thanks Guys! The evaporation thing makes sense, but I'm surprised that it lasts so long. I'm talking about driving well above 25 for a long time. Based on what you're saying it's probably normal. I think the sensor is really cheap, although it's hard to nail down the part on the Web sites I've been looking at. I might try it sometime if it is cheap just to satisfy myself. I'll update if I do.

It's funny, the part is only $6.41, so I was going to order it. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to pay the 9 to 12 dollars shipping. I know it's dumb, but that just bugs me (-:

snum1fan is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

I had a 2000 Deville before my current 05 STS, and rented cars straight for 18 months for work. Both caddys and every rental I washed and had a temp gauge did the same thing. I always leave the display on temp so I noticed it alot. Some of the cars rented were sts cts maxima charger 300 m35 Aspen, and more all 2008 and 2009.

So o don't think anything is wrong. I think that's just the way it is.

Thanks. That's great info. I think I'll leave it well enough alone.

SteveDeville2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DeVille

I have a slightly different problem with the outside temperature sensor on our 2004 DeVille. Starting this summer, the outside temperature display began to read higher than the actual outside temperature but it still seemed to go up and down with the ambient temperature. However, lately it is always reading very high. For example, it is currently 55 degrees outside but the temperature reading on the display says 133! To get heat we have to run the temperature setting up to the max. Does that make sense?

I'm guessing (hoping) that the problem is due to a bad sensor. I'd like to replace it but can't find it. Could someone tell me where it is located?

Thanks.

trackbait is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS - Grey/Black Northstar NAV

Have not had an eyeball on it yet but appears to be somewhere on the drivers side, probably down low around the grill somewhere.

Here is a diagram from GM PARTS DIRECT on the part, price, and location.

Easy to fix/replace once located.

On the STS it is right behind the upper part of the grille, but he's asking about a 2004 DeVille. Might want to try another forum.

mikerizzo01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts

Anybody have a wiring diagram for the outside temp sensor? Mine got cut off and I have a new switch and some connectors but do not want to wire it wrong

mckellyb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS N*, 1SF, 123K mi.

There's a buffer/average for the sensor, so going through things like a car wash, don't drop it radically.

I've noticed this one takes quite a while to change.

johnpbaird is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac XLR

Lookin For the part Number,.......(2005 XLR)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.