Replace Struts on a 2005.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Replace Struts on a 2005. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2005 and the front passenger side strut appears to be out. Even time going over a bump ...
    TobyJohnson11 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Escalade AWD, 12 Ram Longhorn, Coming Soon (10 Platinum)

Replace Struts on a 2005.

I have a 2005 and the front passenger side strut appears to be out. Even time going over a bump the front passenger side appears to be bottoming out. Took it into the dealership and they said that indeed the front right strut was out and needed to be replaced.

Now they are saying that both front struts need to be replaced because if we only replace the damaged one, then I would have one new one and one with 75k miles on it and the ride quality would not be very good.

Is this true??? If I replace one should I replace both??? Heck why not all 4 while were at it????

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Replace Struts on a 2005.

Conventional wisdom is to replace struts or shocks in pairs. If you've got MRC, I can understand your concern. If not, go with a new pair of struts, either OEM or good aftermarket.

If you do have MRC, I'd advise getting one from an auto-recycler (junkyard). The dealer is going to balk but it's your car.

Yea I have the MRC. That's why I thought that it might compensate for only replacing one?

Quote Originally Posted by TobyJohnson11 View Post
    Yea I have the MRC. That's why I thought that it might compensate for only replacing one?
    A new one may be dramatically different than your original. I would advise against that. MRC is not designed with that in mind. My earlier suggestion does contain several risks.

1. You get a bad one. The supplier may replace it but you're paying for the job again.
    2. What if it handles goofy? No dealer will back a repair made against their advice.

Good Luck.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

I'm thinking about this a bit differently. If I remember correctly, the MRC just does what it is told to do based on travel and accelerometer readings, so I think you stand a good chance of getting away with just one. If it doesn't pan out, then replace the other one if necessary--no additional work, if another is replaced later.

On passive systems, by all means replace in pairs. In most cases GM parts consolidates service valvings so that the original is not even available.

Is the MRC actually inside the strut? Or is it a computer program that tells that struts what to do? And again if you need to replace in pairs why would replacing the front and not the back be good. Wouldn’t the same example apply?

Angus Young is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2 Cadillac STS 1SG W/NAV

I was under the impression that the MRC is controlled by the ECM, the ECM sends an electrical current that somehow changes the fluid's density inside the strut causing a stiffer suspension, I looked into my trunk to see what type of connector is on the top if I remember right it was a single wire, on a clip that clips to the top of the strut.
    Anyways I am interested to hear of any aftermarket solutions for replacing these struts.

sts4ga is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 1SG 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Young View Post
    I was under the impression that the MRC is controlled by the ECM, the ECM sends an electrical current that somehow changes the fluid's density inside the strut causing a stiffer suspension, I looked into my trunk to see what type of connector is on the top if I remember right it was a single wire, on a clip that clips to the top of the strut.
    Anyways I am interested to hear of any aftermarket solutions for replacing these struts.
    From what I've read the mag-ride uses an elecro-magnet within the shock that changes the iron-impregnated fluids viscosity. This system replaces valves that are used in conventional shocks. This allows for dampening changes via computer "on the fly".

It's a pretty sophisticated system!

They are controlled externally by either the ECM or body computer.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Sorry still diagnosing some suspension problems.... if these are controlled via the ECM/BCM, wouldn't there be an electrical connection from either the top or the bottom of the strut? If so, has anyone confirmed anything year/model wise as to what may have what? My shocks for sure do not connect via the ECM/BCM in the front, haven't dug around enough in the rear to confirm the top but the bottom definatly does not connect. When I pulled the strut out it did look like a conventional strut but if the internals are different that I wouldn't be able to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by AllGoNShow View Post
    Sorry still diagnosing some suspension problems.... if these are controlled via the ECM/BCM, wouldn't there be an electrical connection from either the top or the bottom of the strut? If so, has anyone confirmed anything year/model wise as to what may have what? My shocks for sure do not connect via the ECM/BCM in the front, haven't dug around enough in the rear to confirm the top but the bottom definatly does not connect. When I pulled the strut out it did look like a conventional strut but if the internals are different that I wouldn't be able to tell.
    If you don't have the Touring vs. Performance setting, you have normal shocks.

No Touring VS Performance.

So normal Macpherson struts are in my shitbox? Man I hope Bilstein or someone(anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!) comes out with replacements soon, I am going to have to keep bugging them.

K STS is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8, 1999 Seville STS

I also do not have MRC. Any idea what the best shock/strut to put in there is?

The problem isn't which is the best shock to fit to the car, it's that no one makes replacement shocks for our vehicle besides junky KYB Front shocks which I will only use as a very very last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by AllGoNShow View Post
    The problem isn't which is the best shock to fit to the car, it's that no one makes replacement shocks for our vehicle besides junky KYB Front shocks which I will only use as a very very last resort.
    I've never used KYB on my cars, but I do have them on my motorhome--in that application they have the number 1 rating of all aftermarket suppliers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.