where to purchase additional key fob
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, where to purchase additional key fob in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i bought a pre-owned 08 STS & only have one key fob, my husband really needs his own as he ...
    junedonofrio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS

where to purchase additional key fob

i bought a pre-owned 08 STS & only have one key fob, my husband really needs his own as he is much taller than i am. i got a price from the dealer of $260.00, Wow that's alot of money. does anyone know where to purchase cheaper that is reliable ?
    thanks !

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Re: where to purchase additional key fob

Ebay is the place--just search "STS Fob" and you will see many come up. make sure you get the newer type for 08 and later--they all have pictures so you will recognize it. Expect to pay about $50 for the later style. Programming is relatively simple and outlined in your owners manual.

junedonofrio is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS

Hello, thanks for the reply & i have found one on ebay, it looks exactly like my fob, but i called to check on it & the company advised that it would have to be programed at the dealer, but when i read the book, it sounded like i could program it myself. do you know iif for sure i could program myself ??
    thanks !
    June

Quote Originally Posted by junedonofrio View Post
    Hello, thanks for the reply & i have found one on ebay, it looks exactly like my fob, but i called to check on it & the company advised that it would have to be programed at the dealer, but when i read the book, it sounded like i could program it myself. do you know iif for sure i could program myself ??
    thanks !
    June

I have an 06 and I programed it myself. I sure the 08/09 is the same way. If your book says it can then you will be fine. There are 2 procedures and I suspect you will need to do the more complicated one because your car may have 2 already programmed which means the new one will go in as #3 (and won't allow memory function). That means you will need to erase all settings and re-program the current and new FOBs as #1 and #2. Hope I didn't over complicate the description since it is very easy to do.

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Be careful about getting one off of Ebay, I got one that said DTS/STS keyfob, and it was from a DTS. No pull out key in the bottom. My STS sees it as a black hole, and won't program it like it says it should in the owners manual.

KARL DAHLEN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2008 STSV6 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Gray STS View Post
    Be careful about getting one off of Ebay, I got one that said DTS/STS keyfob, and it was from a DTS. No pull out key in the bottom. My STS sees it as a black hole, and won't program it like it says it should in the owners manual.
    I have an 08 and the same thing happened to me. They look the same. Be careful

Look at the part number on your current fob and the replacement should be the same or 1 digit off in either direction--it may be labeled as "GM/S" with a number after it.

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

The manual could be more clear. Try the procedure I wrote up here.

freshchops is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac '06 STS-V, Blk/Blk

On the subject.....

I have 2 FOBs previously used on my totaled 05 STS. I'm getting an 06 STS-V..... still have the 05's FOBs. Can I re-program these to the new car? once they already been programmed? Could I do it myself or need a dealer?

Shouldn't be a problem--follow the owners manual or better yet what Echas posted. You can have up to 4 Fobs programmed but only 1 & 2 will carry memory functions. Also, 1 & 2 are identified by the order in which they were programed--not what is written on the back of the Fob

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem--follow the owners manual or better yet what Echas posted. You can have up to 4 Fobs programmed but only 1 & 2 will carry memory functions.
    This includes the Remote Start feature.

So when all is said & done, let's say you have one remote for the V (sweet!) and the two spares from your old car. I'd recommend using Method 3 from my post and first matching a Fob with a '1' on the back. Then match a Fob with a '2' on the back. These will be your primary Fob's and will remember Driver Settings & work the Remote Start.

Match the third (or additional) Fobs next and you can have some spares that won't automatically recall Driver Settings or Remote Start the car. Essentially a nice valet or loaner key. You may want to put a small piece of tape on these so as to reduce confusion.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.