Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I leased this car brand new in 2005. Due to turn in 6 months from now. Timing belt broke and ...
    papaisrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 sts....

Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles!

I leased this car brand new in 2005. Due to turn in 6 months from now. Timing belt broke and the dealer is insinuating poor upkeep. Pure bs this was my 7th caddy and NEVER missed an oil change. They claim the engine only had a quart and a half in the engine with no leaks. They suggest I produce oil change records. The dealership where the oil changes were performed is no longer in business due to the recession. I was told give him one more day while he contacts someone at cadillac. I swear so much for reliability. If they don't do right by me lexus here I come!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Re: Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles!

I'm assuming your talking about a timing chain. Is it a V6 or V8? Also, was the dealer that closed a GM dealer?--if so the service should be on the computer under your VIN number.

Spencer's HIDs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    I'm assuming your talking about a timing chain. Is it a V6 or V8? Also, was the dealer that closed a GM dealer?--if so the service should be on the computer under your VIN number.
    Only warranty service will be in the computer. We dont even have information from the other GM dealers we own in the state. I didnt think there was a timing belt either....On either the v6 or v8

Its a v6 and I'm in a screwed up situation. If they don't fix it. They're talking 7000 in repairs. I don't think so.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

If the timing chain broke the valves, at least, are scrambled and possibly the heads and pistons.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Low mileage long block V6 engines (fully dressed) are available for around $1550--V8's around $1700

Force-1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by papaisrollin View Post
    I leased this car brand new in 2005. Due to turn in 6 months from now. Timing belt broke and the dealer is insinuating poor upkeep. Pure bs this was my 7th caddy and NEVER missed an oil change. They claim the engine only had a quart and a half in the engine with no leaks. They suggest I produce oil change records. The dealership where the oil changes were performed is no longer in business due to the recession. I was told give him one more day while he contacts someone at cadillac. I swear so much for reliability. If they don't do right by me lexus here I come!
    You didn't keep receipts/invoices for your oil changes?

WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

This is not very unusual for that engine. You really should check your oil level once a month. You really shouly keep your service records, if for no other reason, it adds to the resale value of the car and for insurance purposes if it gets totaled or stolen. I keep all of my service records and I work at the dealer.

WorkinWoodWheel.TX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

I love my cadillac but they have horrible service compared to a lot of other luxury car dealers.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by WorkinWoodWheel.TX View Post
    I love my cadillac but they have horrible service compared to a lot of other luxury car dealers.
    Like so many things, YMMV. My dealer takes good care of us. We have bought 5 used cars from him over 15 years and the service is good provided you make sure they understand the issue and expectation. Our Cadillacs have visited the shop more than others but they have a lot more features than the others.

Its a v6 and I'm in a screwed up situation. If they don't fix it. They're talking 7000 in repairs. I don't think so.
    I think these V6's have 3 timing chains--one primary and two secondary's so the overall damage may depend on which one broke. There were problems in 2007 but so far I haven't seen any indication that the quality problem affected 2006--could yours be a late 06? Also, did the chain actually break or did it slip. I suppose it could be attributed to low oil pressure, but I would ask some tough questions first.

SKATE50 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): STS

Quote Originally Posted by WorkinWoodWheel.TX View Post
    Sorry to hear that but my Caddy dealer treats me like a KING, like I invented sliced bread or something!
    jgordon and jgordon like this.

3 repairs under warranty. This is the 4th problem and its major. They called today with 2 offers. First offer they pay 4000 and I pay 4000 to rebuild the engine. I pay 6000 to fix it and they provide a voucher for 4000 towards the purchase of my existing car or a new one. This sucks. Not unusual for this engine. I guess I learned a valuable lesson. Keep all records and warranty ,warranty,warranty.

mbnv992 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 STS4 V8 (sold), 2005 STS V6 1SC

$4,000 ?!?!?!?!?! That's crazy !!!!
    My caddy has treated me just fine in the 20,000 miles that I've had it.

3 repairs under warranty. This is the 4th problem and its major. They called today with 2 offers. First offer they pay 4000 and I pay 4000 to rebuild the engine. I pay 6000 to fix it and they provide a voucher for 4000 towards the purchase of my existing car or a new one. This sucks. Not unusual for this engine. I guess I learned a valuable lesson. Keep all records and warranty ,warranty,warranty.
    Well I do think it is unusual for this engine! There were some oil consumption issues which really is not that common, nor should that become your problem. Also, I don't think that low oil level will cause a timing chain failure.It's a roller chain that can endure a lot of punishment--more so than bearings and rings. Don't give in yet!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.