Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Out side of warranty + retarded dealers + retarded managers @ dealers = No dealer work for me. Inside of ...
    AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Re: Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles!

Out side of warranty + retarded dealers + retarded managers @ dealers = No dealer work for me.

Inside of warranty I had a few things replaced, awesome, service from service advisor was great! Lot boy decided to drive my car into a hoist or curb, manager denied everything to the bone, told them all to get bent and left, will take care of everything myself from now on and won't be back for another car that I was looking at buying from them for the GF.

Boston.CTS,06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS4

I bought my 2006 11 months ago with 53k..now has 63k and been at the caddy dealer for he past 3 weeks,the timing chain,there is a part on back order and they have no idea how long it will be,,,they also checked the heads and made sure there was no damage there(thank GOD),they have given me a loaner car on them of course .and the total is going to be $1000.00 for all the repairs,the first estimate was $2400 but the service manager was off so when he came back he said they would so it for the grand..

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Ouch!

turnne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS

what year did they expand the powertrain warranty on these past 50K miles?

Warren

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

In 2008 the dealership was plastered with posters proclaiming extended driveline coverage and loaners for all service through 100,000 miles. The salesman claimed it was retroactive to the used cars we bought. I have my doubts. We took out warranties, anyway. They later lost their Cadillac certification but still do my wife's warranty work.

bbshriver is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8

Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    Well I know what we have to say in a service environment, but let's face it, that simply is not acceptable. Most cars easily go 5000 miles or more without burning any oil. The 3.6 is a great engine, but it is not ultra high performance nor stressed in this application. GM is still saying that the engine knock in 4.8/5.3/6.0 L truck engines is normal--hence a class action suit and millions down the drain and aliented customers. BTW, I'm not arguing with you, but with my own company.
    Sad.
    My 2005 N* with about 65k has never needed any oil between changes...
    Moreso my 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with over 150k has never needed oil between changes.

Sad that a new Cadillac needs this kind of maintenance, though my brother's Infiniti FX45 goes through something like a qt every 1k.

bbjorklund99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS, 2008 Escalade EXT

I have never been concerned about a car that used a small amount of oil. It I was adding a quart every 1,000 miles I would be concerned but just about every car I have ever owned would be down slightly to a quart at the time of the next oil change. This was of course when you changed your oil every 2,500-3,500 miles. I have a GMC Yukon XL with the 5.3L V8 and I am running the Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic blend 5-30w since it turned 75,000. I change it every 3,000 -3,500 miles and usually am at the add mark by the time I get to the change interval. The engine has 128,000 and still runs like it is new. I bought it when it was 3 years old and had 34,000 on it. It has always had a little rattle in the lifters when I start it in the morning. To date it has stayed the same and has not developed into a major problem yet. I know guys that have 250,000 + miles on their trucks and have told me that they have always had the rattle at start-up as well. It does have a warning message that appears when it gets to a quart low.

Several of you have posted that you occasionally check the oil to make sure it is not low. Oil is cheap compared to an overhaul. I usually get an extra quart or two and keep on hand. If it gets down a 1/2 a quart I top it off. It may be a pain but it beats shelling out big bucks for engine repairs.

That is my 2 cents worth.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

How much would a GM crate engine cost?? Or one from a junk yard--with low miles.

Show them all the documentation on 07 model 3.6s. Many failures. Local Caddy mechanic moonlights in San Antonio. He charges $500 plus parts. I believe that the 3.6 is a non-interference engine, and the other engine components should be ok.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

I found a used 05 3.6 for $1500 on eBay, with matching ECU and harness as well. I would love to get this work done if it solves the oil consumption issue, just no time or patience for the dealerships crap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.