Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; to check if you have a low oil message, on your next oil change (for DIY guys), flush the old, ...
    Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

Re: Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles!

to check if you have a low oil message, on your next oil change (for DIY guys), flush the old, put the plugs back, and just put the key at the on position without starting the engine. You'll see! If it works, add like half quart, and repeat. Until the lights dont display anymore.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

For some reason the 3.6 will only display this message, key on engine off.
    At least that is what I have heard.

Check the dipstick regularly, period.

papaisrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 sts....

No key in my ignition -pushbutton start.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Press the ignition switch down to the off/aux position and hold it for about 5-8 seconds.
    This will put the car in run mode and it should do the same.

Sorry... forgot this was an STS thread.
    That makes the liklihood of seeing that light even less.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

GM is aware of a certain number of timing chain failures (??2005, 2006??). Some too in more recent years. Call some gray haired service mgrs in some cities about 500 miles away. See if they can point you in right direction--re the approach to take with GM. Lost oil change receipts will not help unless engine (inside) is very clean, which it should be if you changed oil every 3,000 miles.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

I had a Pontiac Bonneville with 212,000. I could go 5000 miles between oil changes and never have to put oil in it. In 5000 miles, it didn't burn 1/2 a quart of oil. Go figure.

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

I think I will be changing mine in preventative measures just in case, I drive this thing way to hard to have it snap on me one day.

Just so you guys know, book time on this job is WELL over 10 hours, if you are doing the main and both secondardy chains with new tensioners, you are looking at over 13/14 hours book time, not cheap, but better than a new motor.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

Is that really needed if you're not having a problem? What if you screw something up and create a problem?

Well I am having wierd valvetrain noises which sound like the chains rattling (tensioner loose/worn out), some brown guys owned this car before I did and I have no idea what they did to it as I got it a mess, plus I drive my cars VERY hard all the time.

This is my job If I screw something up and create a problem I better resconsider my career haha. That won't be the issue here.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4

I wonder what percentage of these engines have a timing chain issue. I only drive hard sometimes, usually when I need to put some punk with a tiny Mazda with modified exhaust in his place. Just have to size up the other car first, only having the 3.6, but it is faster than a lot of cars out there.

Amazingly mine uses no (I'm sure very little actually) oil - knock on wood quick.

I actually use quite a decent amount of oil per change, I will be looking into it further but dont know if I will repair, I just continue to top it up, if the ****er blows up then I will buy another 3.6 and build it up on the side. If it is an easy fix for the oil usage I will do it, but i have a feeling it may be rings and I will just forget about it.

trackbait is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS - Grey/Black Northstar NAV

Here is a pic of an oil level sensor - one on the right is broken and taken apart to see how it works. It is not out of a Caddy but more generic as all cars shold have one like or similar. Basically, two contacts that have very low voltage / resistance probes to either open the circuit or to close the circuit. When closed (covered in oil) - no light or DIC message. Open and it triggers low oil level.

When low oil level is triggered, it does so while engine is off BUT, it will still show on the DIC when the ignition is cycled from off/start/run. In a C5 Vette, this message would remain on until the user pushed the Reset button. On others I've seen the light/message would stay on until the problem was corrected. i.e - oil level must be high enough to close the circuit on the switch.

I think it is total BS that GM/Caddy will not step up to the plate on this one. To say using a quart every 2000 miles is complete crap! The burden of proof that you didn't check dipstick and or present oil change receipts is not your problem. It is for them to prove that you didn't maintain it...not for you to prove you did.

Unfortunately, the amount of money to fix/replace is greater than would be handled in most small claims court, but I'd be talking to an attorney for sure.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Luckily my 06 3.6 dosen't burn a drop of oil with 34K on it. I suspect the ones that burn oil did so from day one--did they? It doesn't seem this would be a wear issue but rather a cylinder finish or ring issue. I would think at some point excessive oil burn could affect the cats. I know they've taken most but not all of the ZDDP out of oil, but still......

I've only owned mine since 76xxx km, now has 130xxx km. Not sure what oil previous owner used or anything, I have only used Mobil 1 5w30 syn but might have to make a change. At approx 50% oil change life left (haven't bothered to figure out KM) I use .75 quart of oil.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

My N* has 55,000 miles and the last oil change was 8 quarts of Mobile 1 in April 2009, about 10,000 miles ago. The oil life indicator is at 20% and the dipstick reading has only moved from just above Full to just below. If it reaches halfway before the next change, I'll add a pint.

My wife's 2007 with 15,000 fewer miles uses a pint every 5,000. On average, we go almost a year & 12,000 miles by going with the oil life monitor.

The 3.6 is a good motor. If you have timing chain woes, a good dealer should nack you with the GM zone rep. Am I dreaming?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.