Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Why all the drama over a $1500 long block? If they won't fix it under warranty, just have someone else ...
    Regulator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Timing belt broke on 2006 sts with 53,000 miles!

Why all the drama over a $1500 long block? If they won't fix it under warranty, just have someone else do the swap. Should be about a $1k labor job.

OlManRivah is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Still something not adding up here. What car company wouldn't question a broken timing chain in a car with less than 2 qts of oil in it with no leaks and no records? If they are smart they will get the oil analyzed.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Well hopefully this won't fuel any fires but... here goes.

1. Sometimes the 3.6 has a tendency to use oil. In the owner's manual it states somewhere that you need to always monitor the oil level. The OIL LIFE INDICATOR is to notify you when to change the oil, not when to check it. If you check the oil regularly you would see that it was getting low and you could take it to the dealer and they could fix the oil consumption issue.
    2. These do have a LOW OIL INDICATOR message that will display, however for some reason it will only do so with the key on and the engine off (or so I have heard). This would indicate the low oil level. I don't know why this works, or doesn't, the way it does.
    3. If the oil level is low the tensioners could lose pressure and cause slack in the chains which could lead to timing and or chain problems. Yes it should be accompanied by some other issues because the oil will not be feeding other parts of the engine. Valves should clatter and other stuff.
    4. There are issues on a number of years with chains. They are on backorder I think right now because of a high demand. We do a lot of them but I can't tell you on what years this issue is most common.
    5. If the chains stretch and break lots of stuff gets damaged inside the engine and it can cost a lot of dough to fix depending on what method of repair you choose.
    6. Whether or not this issue is covered under warranty is up to the discretion of your dealer. Don't blame the whole corporation for your Dealer's decision. Cadillac will tell you the same thing.
    7. Producing maintenance records and telling them you check your oil will help in the long run.
    8. Call Cadillac Customer care, don't be a jerk, just tell them what is going on and have them try to talk to your dealer about getting you taken care of to keep your business.
    9. Get them to involve the area manager

If they can't make you happy then I wouldn't blame you for going to another car make, but as I said don't blame all of us for the actions of a couple of boneheads up in MN.

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

I think that's a good summary. When I asked what the oil life remaining was, I was trying to see roughly how many miles had gone by since the last oil change. If we guess that 66% used (33% remaining)amounts to about 6000 miles and an oil burn of 1qt per 2000miles, it could have been 3 quarts down. Regardless, if you take a customer focus, 2000 miles per qt is certainly not world class, nor is the weird oil level warning customer friendly. Just like a plane crash, there are usually several things at play here, but a customer paying for a premium car deserves every benefit of the doubt.

GM considers 1 quart per 2,000 miles to be "normal".
    Engines do inherantly use oil because of design limitations, some more, some less.
    When we do a consumption test we are looking for usage in that amount. If it is more than 1 quart in that distance then we go looking for the problem.

papaisrollin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 sts....

No fires but if I'm paying 645 a month best believe I'm changing the oil I know what I gotta do thanks for your input

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    GM considers 1 quart per 2,000 miles to be "normal".
    Engines do inherantly use oil because of design limitations, some more, some less.
    When we do a consumption test we are looking for usage in that amount. If it is more than 1 quart in that distance then we go looking for the problem.
    Well I know what we have to say in a service environment, but let's face it, that simply is not acceptable. Most cars easily go 5000 miles or more without burning any oil. The 3.6 is a great engine, but it is not ultra high performance nor stressed in this application. GM is still saying that the engine knock in 4.8/5.3/6.0 L truck engines is normal--hence a class action suit and millions down the drain and aliented customers. BTW, I'm not arguing with you, but with my own company.

I know my 4.2 in my Trailblazer doesn't use hardly any oil. I think I have 4,000 miles on the last oil change with Valvoline Max Life and It probably isn't down half a quart.
    I haven't done any studies to indicate real world facts.
    All engines will use oil, they have to.
    If nothing else I recommend all of you start checking it at least once a month, if for no other reason than just to be SURE that it isn't using oil at an excessive rate.
    If it is.... then take it in and get it looked at.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Self-serve gas stations! He probably fills up once a week and never looks at his dipstick. It's basic car maintenance. I generally check it before any trip more than 200 miles. That works for me.

Maybe the dealer would drop in the engine you buy?

Good Luck!

OlManRivah is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My daughter had a Toyota that she neglected to change the oil and it blew. Toyota wouldn't honor the warranty. She learned a hard lesson.

Wait... wait... wait...

Are you trying to tell me a Toyota broke???
    How dare you spread lies like that!!!

Oh wait, it was a maintenance issue... okay that's better...

Greg00coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 STS

Interesting........... my 2000 STS told me in the DIC when it was low 1 qt. with the engine running. Now we have the latest generation NStar (in my case) and they did away with this? I mean I don't need voice recogoniton or an inferior navagation system........ I need basics. My goodness cars 30 years ago had either an oil gauge or idiot light that warned of low oil pressure.

cadillacroadside is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

there is ALOT of misinformation on this thread, first off if you are low on oil, you will have timing chain issues. if you are low on oil...there is a reason. this engine

amgqmp1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS V8 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Greg00coupe View Post
    Interesting........... my 2000 STS told me in the DIC when it was low 1 qt. with the engine running. Now we have the latest generation NStar (in my case) and they did away with this?
    I have the same question...do the N* models display a low oil warning on the DIC?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by amgqmp1 View Post
    I have the same question...do the N* models display a low oil warning on the DIC?
    I am told they do. A fill is 8 quarts and I think I read in a thread around here that it has to be 3 quarts low before the DIC displays a warning. However, in the manual I find only "Oil Pressure Low Stop Engine" accompanied by a multiple chime. (From the 2008 manual which is all I have at work.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.