Official STS Lockpick Thread
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Official STS Lockpick Thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok, I and some of my employees have been getting tons of questions on lockpicks and their functionality and installation ...
    tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Official STS Lockpick Thread

Ok, I and some of my employees have been getting tons of questions on lockpicks and their functionality and installation instructions. My business specializes in selling radar detectors and my employee's are not trained on anything that is not related to radar detectors. When phones are busy a customer service rep or even someone who handles inventory may pick up the phone or receive online support requests for lockpicks and they have no idea how they work or how they are installed.

The modified STS Lockpicks are sold as a courtesy to the members of this forum. We do not advertise the product nor if you visited our website would find it anywhere on our site and there is a reason for this. Lockpicks are not our business.

We do have a special link for ordering on our site which links from this site so that members of this forum have an easy way to order one if they want one. We do not ship these units with instructions since all the information needed on lockpicks are already in threads here.

Here is a recap of the needed information:

For Modified Lockpicks (All 2005, All 2006 & All 2007, 2008, 2009 STS units that do not have a mute button)

1. All Dip Switches should be OFF (We also ship them in this position with all modified units)
    2. Besides connecting the 2 connectors from the back of the navigation unit you will also need to connect a GPS antenna wire.
    3. Activation of the unit is not triggered by the mute button but rather the switch that is included with the unit.

Below you will see a picture of the harness which will help you understand what I am referring to. Please take care when running the wires and please try to be gentle with the 1" x 1" box that holds the relay circuitry on the harness. If you pull are the wires you can damage the unit.

If you want to replace the switch with a different type of switch just clip the switch off and add whatever type of switch you want.

The price on the lockpick units will be as follows.. Same as we have sold them in the past.

2007-2008 STS Units w/Mute Button on Steering Wheel $235
    2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button $299
    2007 STS units without mute button $299

Ordering link: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Ca...tslockpick.htm

We have produced over 100 units for members here and I am sure the members that purchased these units and installed the units and use them in their vehicles can help with any questions that you have. Please keep the discussion and support here and not with my employees that have no idea how the product works.

As a recap... All 2005-2006 STS units will require a manual activation switch to activate the system it does not matter if you have a mute button or not on the steering wheel.

Only 2007-2008+ STS units w/ a mute button on the steering wheel do not need the manual switch.

Here is a link to download the coastal installation video:

http://www.coastaletech.com/media/ST...AND%20DEMO.zip

The video shows installation in a 2008 STS which has a mute button.

Installation is relatively the same in all STS's with the following exception.

All Modified units need all DIP Switches OFF
    All Modified units also have GPS connectors to place inline with the GPS Wire on the back of the navigation unit
    All Modifed units are not activated with the mute button, They are activated with the manual switch which is included in the harness.
    CapnCurt and CapnCurt like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

trackbait is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS - Grey/Black Northstar NAV

Re: Official STS Lockpick Thread

TOMM...

Nice update and consolidation of some really good info.

Just for clarification, on the 07 - 08 WITH mute button, do not need the Modified version, correct? And.. thus, the photo will look different for those that do not need the 'modified' harness, ...yes ?

And, on an unmodified lockpick unit (07's 08's), are all the dip switches still left in off position or is the last one in the on position (as coastaltech's vid implies), nor a connecton to the GPS wire??

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by trackbait View Post
    TOMM...

Nice update and consolidation of some really good info.

Just for clarification, on the 07 - 08 WITH mute button, do not need the Modified version, correct? And.. thus, the photo will look different for those that do not need the 'modified' harness, ...yes ?

And, on an unmodified lockpick unit (07's 08's), are all the dip switches still left in off position or is the last one in the on position (as coastaltech's vid implies), nor a connecton to the GPS wire??

Thanks,
    Correct 2007+ STS units with a mute button will get a harness without the activation switch and no GPS connectors. Dip 5 on the Lockpicks needs to be on for these vehicles only.

craig.martell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Tomm,

One quick question. I have a 2008 with the mute button. I recently received my lockpick from you and it works great. However, when I installed it I noticed that there is a red "ignition" wire hanging from the harness. The directions didn't mention this, and I didn't know where to attach it. So, I just left it hanging. All is working fine, but I was just wondering what the red wire was for.

Thanks,

Craig

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I remember that. I just taped it off and didn't connect it to anything on my wife's 2007 with a Steering Wheel Mute button.

Quote Originally Posted by craig.martell View Post
    Tomm,

One quick question. I have a 2008 with the mute button. I recently received my lockpick from you and it works great. However, when I installed it I noticed that there is a red "ignition" wire hanging from the harness. The directions didn't mention this, and I didn't know where to attach it. So, I just left it hanging. All is working fine, but I was just wondering what the red wire was for.

Thanks,

Craig
    Only on 2007+ STS units with a mute button will this wire exist. For normal operation it does not get used. Its just an accessory +12v source in case you want an additional 12v device to get powered with the ignition key such as when you hard wire a radar detector.

craig.martell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    Only on 2007+ STS units with a mute button will this wire exist. For normal operation it does not get used. Its just an accessory +12v source in case you want an additional 12v device to get powered with the ignition key such as when you hard wire a radar detector.
    Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Craig

darrenw23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have an '08 STS and have installed an unmodified Lockpick I purchased from Tomm's site. I have an issue where the lockpick functionality not only turns on/off when pressing the mute button four times, but also when pressing any other radio buttons twice, whether on the steering wheel or the touch screen.

Has anyone else heard of this issue? I have contacted Coastaletech, but have not gotten a response as of yet.

Thanks.

I hope others can chime in, When working on the Mod for the 2005-2006's I had access to a 2007 STS and there were no issues and the unmodified unit worked perfectly in the 2007's. Again, I hope others that have them can share their experiences since I personally did not use it on a 2008. We can always exchange it and if the problem continues with a new unit you might need a modded one which will work on all models.

When installing the unit did you follow the coastal unmodified instructions? Dip 5 on?

Thanks for responding so quickly. I did follow Coastaletech's instructions and yes, DIP 5 is on. I was able to talk with their tech support and they aren't willing to give me any support since I didn't buy it from them or one of their approved vendors.

Unless you have another suggestion, I would be interested in exchanging it if possible. Just let me know what you think the best way to handle it would be.

Just send it back to us and we will send out another unit. Please contact me directly so we can discuss swapping options. You can pm me or email me and I will give you all the information.

Tomm,

I tried to PM you, but I'm not sure if it went through. Since I don't have your email address, please PM me and I will send you my contact information.

darrenw23

trackbait is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS - Grey/Black Northstar NAV

Got my lockpick today and installed it. Very odd... It works GREAT... only problem is I don't have to push the mute button 4 times. It seems to just stay unlocked.

Had a DVD playing when I shut it off to do the install. Got it all connected and prior to putting it all back together started it up and the DVD picked up right where it left off.. Put it in drive and it kept playing So, went for a ride around and it never went back into lock mode no matter how many times I pushed the mute button. All the other functions normally locked out also seem to work fine without having to do anything.

Not complaining.... just was not expecting this pleasant outcome. Did I do something wrong on the install? Verified all dip switches off excpet last one, which is ON as it is supposed to be....

Oooops - just discovered pressing and holding the mute button for voice command no longer works ??? WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by trackbait View Post
    Got my lockpick today and installed it. Very odd... It works GREAT... only problem is I don't have to push the mute button 4 times. It seems to just stay unlocked.

Had a DVD playing when I shut it off to do the install. Got it all connected and prior to putting it all back together started it up and the DVD picked up right where it left off.. Put it in drive and it kept playing So, went for a ride around and it never went back into lock mode no matter how many times I pushed the mute button. All the other functions normally locked out also seem to work fine without having to do anything.
    Per our conversation I will be sending you a replacement unit on Friday. Just keep that one installed so you do not have to remove the radio again. Once you receive the replacement unit you will just have to disconnect the old unit and insert the new one. All will be good. I will have the unit tested prior to shipping.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Kudos!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.