Cadillac Owners Forum banner
157K views 577 replies 134 participants last post by  pongta 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I and some of my employees have been getting tons of questions on lockpicks and their functionality and installation instructions. My business specializes in selling radar detectors and my employee's are not trained on anything that is not related to radar detectors. When phones are busy a customer service rep or even someone who handles inventory may pick up the phone or receive online support requests for lockpicks and they have no idea how they work or how they are installed.

The modified STS Lockpicks are sold as a courtesy to the members of this forum. We do not advertise the product nor if you visited our website would find it anywhere on our site and there is a reason for this. Lockpicks are not our business.

We do have a special link for ordering on our site which links from this site so that members of this forum have an easy way to order one if they want one. We do not ship these units with instructions since all the information needed on lockpicks are already in threads here.

Here is a recap of the needed information:

For Modified Lockpicks (All 2005, All 2006 & All 2007, 2008, 2009 STS units that do not have a mute button)

1. All Dip Switches should be OFF (We also ship them in this position with all modified units)
2. Besides connecting the 2 connectors from the back of the navigation unit you will also need to connect a GPS antenna wire.
3. Activation of the unit is not triggered by the mute button but rather the switch that is included with the unit.

Below you will see a picture of the harness which will help you understand what I am referring to. Please take care when running the wires and please try to be gentle with the 1" x 1" box that holds the relay circuitry on the harness. If you pull are the wires you can damage the unit.

If you want to replace the switch with a different type of switch just clip the switch off and add whatever type of switch you want.

The price on the lockpick units will be as follows.. Same as we have sold them in the past.

2007-2008 STS Units w/Mute Button on Steering Wheel $235
2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button $299
2007 STS units without mute button $299

Ordering link: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

We have produced over 100 units for members here and I am sure the members that purchased these units and installed the units and use them in their vehicles can help with any questions that you have. Please keep the discussion and support here and not with my employees that have no idea how the product works.

As a recap... All 2005-2006 STS units will require a manual activation switch to activate the system it does not matter if you have a mute button or not on the steering wheel.

Only 2007-2008+ STS units w/ a mute button on the steering wheel do not need the manual switch.

Here is a link to download the coastal installation video:

http://www.coastaletech.com/media/STS INSTALL AND DEMO.zip

The video shows installation in a 2008 STS which has a mute button.

Installation is relatively the same in all STS's with the following exception.

All Modified units need all DIP Switches OFF
All Modified units also have GPS connectors to place inline with the GPS Wire on the back of the navigation unit
All Modifed units are not activated with the mute button, They are activated with the manual switch which is included in the harness.

See less See more
Reactions: CapnCurt
#372 ·
Only the Modified Lockpicks will work in reverse. The PAC Units only unlock when in Drive. Why they choose to do this is beyond me.

#375 ·
I ordered, received, and installed the NU-STS on my 2010 STS, very easy 10 minute installation and all appears to be working with one exception. When the NU-STS is activated I can enter an address in the navi, but when the route is selected the nav arrow on the screen acts as though the car is standing still. If I disable the NU-STS it acts as normal. If I reactivity the system, it freezes and acts if the car is still again. Wondering what may begging on.

John

#376 ·
This is normal as explained a few times in this thread. When you activate a lockpick it tricks the navigation system into thinking that you are not moving which is why it unlocks all the locked functions. The navigation system will automatically re-lock if it senses that you are moving therefore your VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is disabled when the lockpick is activated. If you need to make changes to your trip in motion you need to activate the lockpick, makes the changes and then disable it and your navigation will re-calibrate you back on your trip.

#377 ·
Steering wheel heater button issue:

Got my LockPick a few weeks ago, and really enjoying it.

We're in the midst of a cold snap in the northeast, so I don't recall whether I tested the steering wheel heater before today. I am getting no response from that side of the button. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram for the controls, but wanted to see whether this may have presented for someone else.

TIA

G
#380 ·
The heating element inside the wheel commonly fails, requiring a wheel replacement. GM doesn't have a very large stock of the various model wheels and I'm told the source is TU so it is a crap shoot whether a dealer can find a replacement. If you are out of B2B warranty, the wheel is very pricy if one can be found. A wheel from a salvage yard will most likely also have a bad heater.

#383 ·
The heating element inside the wheel commonly fails, requiring a wheel replacement.
Thanks. This one was replaced once under warranty, when I first got the car. However, what prompts my question here is the timing of the issue relative to my installation of the Lockpick. I used the wheel heater all winter with no problems, and right after I do the install, the next time I use it, it doesn't come on. It's not just that the wheel doesn't heat; the light doesn't come on. This indicates to me not a bad element, but a grounded condition at the switch.

#385 ·
If it weren't for the timing of this issue and the installation of the Lockpick, that would be my primary suspect. I doubt it's anything physically wrong with the switch, unless pressing the SRC side of it did something (I never use that button to change the radio source, preferring to use the control on the radio itself). I thought I'd check here first before tearing the wheel apart (and I'm not really prepared to do that with an airbag-equipped wheel).

Thanks.

#390 ·
Sorry for the last of posting lately. Last batch of STS Lockpicks are being produced even though many people who originally committed never came through with payment. In any case we ordered all the parts and are building the harnesses right now. First few will ship next week and the balance the following week. There is a no chance that the lockpick would have any effect on the heated steering wheel especially since the modified lockpics do not even have any GM Communication to the steering wheel controls and they are operated 100% from the switch included on the harness.

#392 ·
Here is the post that explains what I've pieced together about the when

It is possible that it is the lockpick that caused the speed limited messages and subsequent work done to my car.

My first post / experience dealing with the speed limited to 120MPH issue was on this thread at -> 06-01-12 10:32 AM Central time

Here is my post from installing the lockpick -> 05-20-12 05:10 AM

So within 2 weeks of installation of the lockpick I started having this issue.

This post details what GM has indicated this has caused.

Not sure what you can do for me, if anything really, but I thought I would put this out there...

My lockpick is apparently causing interference on the data communications system even when it hasn't been used.
Is there an updated version of the unit that I can trade for?

Details of the lockpick I received are:
NU-STS (pac audio version - from Best Radar Detectors , and review -> Reviewed by: Erik W from Minnesota. on 7/10/2012)
Date Ordered: 5/12/2012
Order Number:: B98313

Rev 1.3.1a
Lot 001

#393 ·
We have a close relationship with Coastal Tech's but the item you purchased last year is the PAC unit. I know the Coastal units inside and out because we have been working with Coastal for almost 8 years but PAC is a different story. Due to lack of demand Coastal Discontinued their STS Lockpick several years ago.

There is firmware in the Lockpick units and the Coastal units has USB ports but PAC units do not. You can call PAC support and see if there is a firmware update for you unit and if there is it will have to be sent in for the update. Their website shows current firmware is Current Revision #: 1.1.1a (You can look on your unit for a sticker with the firmware loaded on your unit to see if you are current)

There is no other unit for the 2008+ STS and with the vehicle killed off and with the small amount of them floating around there will not be any new development in the STS. We have also killed off the 2005-2007 STS Lockpick because of the lack of demand for it.

#395 ·
Yes, But we are pretty much done with them. We ordered enough parts to only produce one last batch of 10 units and we did not start the build until we had committed buyers. We reached the limit and are finishing up the last batch now. We have 6 units left 3 shipping tomorrow and the last 3 shipping on Monday and then we are done with making them. They consume way to much of my time and I just cant do it anymore.

#397 ·
If you purchased from our site yes and you would have full warranty & support. I highly suggest you call them at 866-931-8021 and not email.

#398 ·
I called them today, sat on hold for about 20 minutes.
Got the line of well it only has a 1 year warranty and you are passed it now by about a month.
You can email us at customerservice@aampofamerica.com and provide a copy of the receipt and describe the issues and hopefully they will be able to help you out.
Nobody here has heard of anything remotely like this so maybe you just have a defective unit.

I was not able to find out if there was a newer revision of the unit available.

#399 ·
I called them today, sat on hold for about 20 minutes.
Got the line of well it only has a 1 year warranty and you are passed it now by about a month.
You can email us at customerservice@aampofamerica.com and provide a copy of the receipt and describe the issues and hopefully they will be able to help you out.
Nobody here has heard of anything remotely like this so maybe you just have a defective unit.

I was not able to find out if there was a newer revision of the unit available.
If you purchased from us PM me the order number.

#400 ·
Also, Silly question but did you remove the PAC unit and did your issue go away?

#401 ·
No questions are really 'silly' but I have not had the issue come back.
I noticed that the message will come up within 2 or 3 days of driving after doing a battery cable disconnection, then appear at random times afterwards.
I did the battery reset method (disconnect battery and touch pos/neg cables together for about 30 seconds to reset the car) at the same time that I removed the unit, the message has not come back.

#403 ·
No real progress so far with customer service (pac-audio).
I did get a reply that included the following details purportedly from their engineering department, but no offer to replace, no indications that they have an updated unit.

Code:
The interface, NU-STS communicates on the Low Speed GMLAN bus connected to the radio. 
The Electronic Suspension Control Module (ESC) does not have direct communication on this bus but rather communicates on the CAN bus and the High Speed GMLAN bus in the vehicle.   

The NU-STS only filters a speed message to the radio making the radio “think” the vehicle is moving very slow. 
This “slow” speed message is only sent to the radio during the time the NAV override is in use. 
All other times the interface does not filter or transmit any messages on the low speed GMLAN bus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.