Cadillac Owners Forum banner
157K views 577 replies 134 participants last post by  pongta 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I and some of my employees have been getting tons of questions on lockpicks and their functionality and installation instructions. My business specializes in selling radar detectors and my employee's are not trained on anything that is not related to radar detectors. When phones are busy a customer service rep or even someone who handles inventory may pick up the phone or receive online support requests for lockpicks and they have no idea how they work or how they are installed.

The modified STS Lockpicks are sold as a courtesy to the members of this forum. We do not advertise the product nor if you visited our website would find it anywhere on our site and there is a reason for this. Lockpicks are not our business.

We do have a special link for ordering on our site which links from this site so that members of this forum have an easy way to order one if they want one. We do not ship these units with instructions since all the information needed on lockpicks are already in threads here.

Here is a recap of the needed information:

For Modified Lockpicks (All 2005, All 2006 & All 2007, 2008, 2009 STS units that do not have a mute button)

1. All Dip Switches should be OFF (We also ship them in this position with all modified units)
2. Besides connecting the 2 connectors from the back of the navigation unit you will also need to connect a GPS antenna wire.
3. Activation of the unit is not triggered by the mute button but rather the switch that is included with the unit.

Below you will see a picture of the harness which will help you understand what I am referring to. Please take care when running the wires and please try to be gentle with the 1" x 1" box that holds the relay circuitry on the harness. If you pull are the wires you can damage the unit.

If you want to replace the switch with a different type of switch just clip the switch off and add whatever type of switch you want.

The price on the lockpick units will be as follows.. Same as we have sold them in the past.

2007-2008 STS Units w/Mute Button on Steering Wheel $235
2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button $299
2007 STS units without mute button $299

Ordering link: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

We have produced over 100 units for members here and I am sure the members that purchased these units and installed the units and use them in their vehicles can help with any questions that you have. Please keep the discussion and support here and not with my employees that have no idea how the product works.

As a recap... All 2005-2006 STS units will require a manual activation switch to activate the system it does not matter if you have a mute button or not on the steering wheel.

Only 2007-2008+ STS units w/ a mute button on the steering wheel do not need the manual switch.

Here is a link to download the coastal installation video:

http://www.coastaletech.com/media/STS INSTALL AND DEMO.zip

The video shows installation in a 2008 STS which has a mute button.

Installation is relatively the same in all STS's with the following exception.

All Modified units need all DIP Switches OFF
All Modified units also have GPS connectors to place inline with the GPS Wire on the back of the navigation unit
All Modifed units are not activated with the mute button, They are activated with the manual switch which is included in the harness.

See less See more
Reactions: CapnCurt
#68 ·
So if I put one in my 05 I would keep the switch off until I needed to access the "grayed out" features. And once I do that I would loose my satellite signal, correct? Then my GPS would re initilize once I put the switch back to off?
Now, the site tells me that they are out of stock. When can we make a purchase?
Thank you for the very informative information and this most welcomed mod............................. Joe

#69 ·
Yes, You are correct in how it operates. We have the parts in stock and if ordered today or tomorrow it would ship on Monday. We have corrected the backorder issue on the website.

#71 ·
Tomm,
Just ordered my LockPick (05 STS) on your site. Looking forward to the upgrade. But a quick question. That switch I need, can you post a close up of it? I want to prepare the install and decide where I will mount that switch and if I need to find one other than the one supplied based on the location I plan to place it.
Thanks very much.................................... Joe P

#72 ·
#76 ·
Didn't mess with the dip switches, but....

I took it out this morning and noticed I hadn't reconnected the single wire pink plug. Once I plugged this in, right away the clock started working and within 5 minutes the GPS with a line through it disappeared.

Problem solved.

What through me off was that the Nav system while I was driving was moving. Just not showing me in the right location.

Haven't had a chance to fully test unit yet, but I'm sure it's working properly.

Cheers,
Chris

#77 ·
Welll even though you failed to connect the direct antenna connection the unit will still capture some amount of signal. And in navigation you need to aquire at least
a few satellites to get a proper fix. Glad you solved it. I am waiting for my LockPick to be delivered. Wish it would have come yesterday before this trip we are on.
Joe P

#78 ·
Joe, I think you might not have considered the integration of the VSS into the Nav. If all he was missing was the GPS antenna, it got zero, zip, nada signal. It doesn't pull in the GPS all that great when all is perfect! I think the Nav was just registering the VSS.

Chris, welcome to the happy community of Lockpick users.

#79 ·
Chas, great point. I got back to town today and found my LockPick delivered. Did the install, and yes, tucking the wires was a pain. I also mounted the switch on the face of the trim panel. Tested the unit real quick and with the switch depressed I had full phone use, also had no time to test video. But, my line through GPS did not go away after 20 - 30 minutes. Was too busy tonight and we used the CTS. Made a quick call to Tomm and he assured me it will come back. Fingers crossed, test drive in AM and I will post.................... stay tuned................ thanks........... Joe P

#81 ·
Hi all,

When I first start the car the DIC says "Stability Competitive Mode" and the "TC" light is lit. After a couple seconds the DIC switches to "Stability Sys Off". After 20 more seconds, the "TC" light turns off by it self, but the "Stablity SYS Off" remains on the DIC. I can turn on the "Stability Sys".

My manual says if I install any aftermarket stuff in car things like this could maybe happen. This only started showing up after I installed my "Lock Pick". Could this "Lock Pick" be interferring with something in the computor?

Please help,
Chris

#82 ·
The lockpick does not do anything other that interrupt the GPS Signal and VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor wire for the Nav) - The two have nothing to do with any TC or Stability Systems.

#86 · (Edited)
Tomm,

I'm interested in a lockpick and a Blinder M47. I noticed that your site only lists the M45. Are you going to carry the 47 in the future?

Thanks
Please PM me and I can get you a special price on the Blinder M47, They are in transit to us and we should have them in the next 1-2 days. Sorry for the late response but I was on vacation.

#87 ·
Hi Tomm,

Is it possible the VSS interacts with the Tracsion Control? I removed Lock Pick and now the TC button works. I will leave Lock Pick out for a week and see if problem comes back. Then re-install Lock Pick.

Chris
The lockpick device is directional, It only changes information in the GM Lan going to the navigation. Its probably just a coincidence that they happened almost at the same time.

#88 ·
Hey Tomm,
Did you ever get more info on the video output for the Nav screen to tap for external monitors? My headrest units will be delivered tomorrow and I would enjoy the cool factor of sending the dash display to those screens.
And I thank you also for the LockPick and quick service.
Joe P

#89 ·
There are no video outputs on the STS Navigation unit, It only has inputs. What I had to do in my STS was add an additional DVD player in my glove box which powers my rear headrests. I also have an output from the additional DVD player going to the AUX inputs on the navigation unit so the video can be seen on all three displays at the same time or just the rear.

#90 ·
I don't mean to go off topic here, but tomm i have to compliment you. you keep your product to this single post this whole time, instead of doing multiple postings. it actually makes it an enjoyment to come to this forum and not get a lot of commercial topic flooding. and surprisingly, i always seem to read this cause its all in one posting. ty for keeping it all in one topic :D

#91 ·
Tomm- On a 2006 STS V w/mute button which model do I need? As I understand it the unit I need is the one that deos not need to be modified with a switch, correct?

#92 ·
Tomm- On a 2006 STS V w/mute button which model do I need? As I understand it the unit I need is the one that deos not need to be modified with a switch, correct?
Incorrect... ALL 2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button need a modified unit with the manual activation switch.

There were changes in the GM Lan on 2007+ units so only 2007+ STS's with a mute button do not need the modified unit.

#93 ·
Hey Tomm,

On the bestradardetectors web site, when you look up STS lockpick, and where it says 2005-2006 model lockpicks are made when ordered.

Are those modified lockpicks? Is that why they are made to order?

If I order one of those for a 2005-2006 model lockpicks will it come already modified?

Thanks

#94 ·
Correct... Those are the modifed units and once you purchase it the unit will get produced. I usually only make the modified units on the weekends when I have time but If someone orders one in the beginning of the week (Monday or Tuesday) I try to get it made mid week for them.

If you ordered it today the unit would ship on Tuesday since Monday is a holiday and the carriers are closed.

With a family which includes 3 children I never have time to pre-make these units since it takes me over an hour to do each mod and my time is scarce so I have decided to make them only when ordered.

#96 ·
Yes, I recall making your unit on Wednesday but UPS missed picking up a few packages last night so it went out today. If I remember correctly you are the one who installed the navigation unit into your non navigation STS? Let me know how the install goes.

#104 ·
Yea that's me.

I paid for over night shipping so it should be here tom.

I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I get it.
Overnight with UPS on Friday is a delivery on Monday, Sorry if you were expecting it on Saturday. UPS only counts business days in their shipping calculations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.