Official STS Lockpick Thread - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Official STS Lockpick Thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Lewis, I've done as you describe. I needed one of Tomm's modified Lockpick's for my 2006. An unmodified one ...
    EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Re: Official STS Lockpick Thread

Hi Lewis,

I've done as you describe. I needed one of Tomm's modified Lockpick's for my 2006. An unmodified one will work for you. I'd buy from Tomm before Coastal, just because I'm a loyal sort. Tomm's a goodguy.

IMHO, HD Radio really isn't worth it but since the uPAC-STS (Pacific Accessories Corp) provides support for up to two expansion modules, I did get the HD-Radio to compliment the i-pod connection I really wanted. You will need a separate antenna for the HD because a splitter would steal 3dB signal from the primary radio. (Don't be tempted). PAC recommends using their unit for all radio because it will also pull in conventional FM. I prefer the Bose radio because tone settings are saved with the presets and there are so many presets. The A-G plus regular bands provide 54 presets per driver!

I had a spare temporary-window-mount cell antenna. I just have it in the glovebox with my i-pod and pull it out and fit it to the top of the passenger window if I need better reception. Between the manuals, i-pod and the little whippy antenna, my glovebox is nearly filled, but usefully so. PAC provides plenty of wire to pull out the i-pod. All modules & i-pod can all be controlled from the Nav controls & screen.

When you switch to XM, do nothing and after five seconds the uPAC may as well not be there. A little twist during that time activates an alternative source. The Nav screen display is not up to the OEM but is adequate on both. The total cost for all three was about the same as a Lockpick. PAC won't sell direct and may have stopped production of some pieces but they're still around and work fine.

I think some other vendors have also stepped up and offer similar solutions. I still haven't figured out how to display the manual .pdf's from the i-pod to the Nav display. When I do, I'll gain back enough glovebox space for a pair of gloves!

KM5BH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac STS V8

Talking Re: Official STS Lockpick Thread

Thanks for the excellent reply. I'll order the parts this week and that will be my project for next weekend.
    The lockpick is going in first. It is ridiculous not to be able to make a call or use the GPS while moving.

Thanks again,

Lewis

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    Hi Lewis,

I've done as you describe. I needed one of Tomm's modified Lockpick's for my 2006. An unmodified one will work for you. I'd buy from Tomm before Coastal, just because I'm a loyal sort. Tomm's a goodguy.

IMHO, HD Radio really isn't worth it but since the uPAC-STS (Pacific Accessories Corp) provides support for up to two expansion modules, I did get the HD-Radio to compliment the i-pod connection I really wanted. You will need a separate antenna for the HD because a splitter would steal 3dB signal from the primary radio. (Don't be tempted). PAC recommends using their unit for all radio because it will also pull in conventional FM. I prefer the Bose radio because tone settings are saved with the presets and there are so many presets. The A-G plus regular bands provide 54 presets per driver!

I had a spare temporary-window-mount cell antenna. I just have it in the glovebox with my i-pod and pull it out and fit it to the top of the passenger window if I need better reception. Between the manuals, i-pod and the little whippy antenna, my glovebox is nearly filled, but usefully so. PAC provides plenty of wire to pull out the i-pod. All modules & i-pod can all be controlled from the Nav controls & screen.

When you switch to XM, do nothing and after five seconds the uPAC may as well not be there. A little twist during that time activates an alternative source. The Nav screen display is not up to the OEM but is adequate on both. The total cost for all three was about the same as a Lockpick. PAC won't sell direct and may have stopped production of some pieces but they're still around and work fine.

I think some other vendors have also stepped up and offer similar solutions. I still haven't figured out how to display the manual .pdf's from the i-pod to the Nav display. When I do, I'll gain back enough glovebox space for a pair of gloves!
    Thanks for the reply, I have never researched an HD Radio module before so I did not have any info on it but you did a good job explaining it. I wonder if HD Radio will even survive, I used to hear advertising for it but advertising has seemed to stop in my area which is usually bad news.

HD Radio is cheap for the broadcaster and gives them air time they can sell to lower cost/niche advertisers. The world of music is changing to the i-pod model. Radio and media sales need to find a business model that competes.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    HD Radio is cheap for the broadcaster and gives them air time they can sell to lower cost/niche advertisers. The world of music is changing to the i-pod model. Radio and media sales need to find a business model that competes.
    I agree.. Looks like radios with hard drives like in the CTS will be the future. I guess there will always be a market for broadcasters but it will certainly get more difficult in the future.

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls

I just wanted to offer a customer review of the Lockpick. I think it is the most wonderful device to ever be produced! I have had it I think going on 2 years & it makes driving my car so much more enjoyable. Anytime I have to do something that GM thinks I shouldn't do, I just flip my little switch & I can do anything I want!! The kids really enjoy being able to watch movies while driving & you know keeping kids happy is not an easy task! I keep my switch in the little "ash tray" so I didn't have to have it installed anywhere. That little compartment is not good for anything anyway so the switch is hidden when not being used & when I need it, it is only a push away! I would also like to give Tomm some kudo's for taking the time to make the product and for all the time he has taken in answering the endless tech questions that are asked as well as all the product support he gives everyone when something isn't working right. I cannot even imagine all the time this project takes him away from his family. We should also give some kudo's to his family for all the time this project has taken away from them!

It is also too bad when people feel the need to try to diminish all the work that Tomm has done on this project. If they only knew all the joy that it could bring them for the super low price that it is being sold for. Good luck trying to find anything else that works like the Lockpick. They will not find it for any price!

A VERY satisfied Lockpick customer!!

Max

ski_loose is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4

Tomm,

I purchased and just installed a lockpick on an 06 sts. I tried to pm you with a couple of questions, but the system wouldn't let me. Could you please pm me so I can ask the question? Thanks.

Troy

Since we started selling additional lockpick modules for different vehicles we have negiotiated better pricing on the STS Lockpicks. Below is the new pricing going forward:

2007+ STS Units w/Mute Button on Steering Wheel $209.95
    2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button $269.95
    2007+ STS units without mute button $269.95

Ordering link: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Ca...tslockpick.htm

sundazes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Tomm, I am in the process of getting an 06 STS that DOES have a mute button. I just want to be clear that I will need the modified one with the button, correct? Also is the button a toggle or momentary switch? Where do you recommend installing then button?

Quote Originally Posted by sundazes View Post
    Tomm, I am in the process of getting an 06 STS that DOES have a mute button. I just want to be clear that I will need the modified one with the button, correct? Also is the button a toggle or momentary switch? Where do you recommend installing then button?
    Correct, Very few 06's with the mute button actually worked with the unmodified units. The few that did work were very late model 06's. For guaranteed compatibility you will need the modified one which is guaranteed to work. If you look on page 2 of this thread you will see a picture of my 2005 with the override switch in our recommended location.

wrigley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 STS

Tomm

I just purchased a lockpick for an 07 sts with a mute button. The nav is getting lost sometimes without hitting the mute button. I think it is doing it with all the buttons on the steering wheel. Do you have any idea on what i can do to fix this issue?

Trent

My wife's 2007 occasionally behaved like that. I think the Lockpick sometimes engaged when starting the car. If the electrical system is always on, noise on the LAN could cause odd behavior. Try checking to see if you find a pattern of its being on unexpectedly.

Worst case, ask Tomm for the on/off button modification.

STE_6000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS 2005

how long does it take to receive a lock once it is ordered?

Quote Originally Posted by STE_6000 View Post
    how long does it take to receive a lock once it is ordered?
    Next batch of modified units will be produced on Wednesday and shipped Thursday.

ChrisHall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS AWD Platinum V8

Hi Tomm,

Quick question.

After I engage the lockpick, Nav map doesn't update with my position when I'm moving. It stays put. When I disengage LockPick, the Nav map updates with my position and works OK.

Does lockpick have to be disengaged inorder for Nav map to update my position.

Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.