Official STS Lockpick Thread - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Official STS Lockpick Thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It would be great to see a price reduction on this. Anyone know where I can get this (much) cheaper?...
    JackG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): sts

Re: Official STS Lockpick Thread

It would be great to see a price reduction on this. Anyone know where I can get this (much) cheaper?

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Coastal sells the unmodified units for $249.95, (We charge $235) We charge $50 more than Coastal for a modified one. If you are looking for this unit for less you will have to wait till someone sells their STS and offers their used lockpick for sale. Even used it probably would sell for more than you want to spend.

Dewayne4608 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Ordered mine Tomm,

Should be getting it in the next few days. Hope everything works well. Thanks for offering a great product.

Heath is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): New Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by JackG View Post
    It would be great to see a price reduction on this. Anyone know where I can get this (much) cheaper?
    You must be joking right?

Why does that sound like a joke to you? Its just some wires and a harness... maybe a chip inside? The cost to produce seems like it would be $20 bucks.
    Maybe I am wrong?

Why does that sound like a joke to you? Its just some wires and a harness... maybe a chip inside? The cost to produce seems like it would be $20 bucks.
    Maybe I am wrong?
    You certainly are wrong. Maybe you need to do some research and see what a lockpick does before you start talking trash like you know whats inside of one. There is alot of circuity needed to communicate with the GM Lan bus. This is not a manual device with some wires and "a chip inside" like you think. I would like you to refrain posting in my threads until you educate yourself.

Tomm

Don't get discourage about comments like that bro!

I have a 06 and I gladly paid $300 more mine.
    The price is fine for most of us, We are caddi owners for christ sakes. LOL!

My only question was why is the 06 more than the 07. My 06 has a mute button on the steering wheel. I was not sure what to get so I just bought the 06 model for more.

Also with the switch that comes with it, can I just leave it on all the time and will it work. Or everytime I start the car I have to turn it on again. I guess I will find out shortly but if you got a few seconds let me know.

I am excited!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne4608 View Post
    Tomm

Don't get discourage about comments like that bro!

I have a 06 and I gladly paid $300 more mine.
    The price is fine for most of us, We are caddi owners for christ sakes. LOL!

My only question was why is the 06 more than the 07. My 06 has a mute button on the steering wheel. I was not sure what to get so I just bought the 06 model for more.

Also with the switch that comes with it, can I just leave it on all the time and will it work. Or everytime I start the car I have to turn it on again. I guess I will find out shortly but if you got a few seconds let me know.

I am excited!!!!
    There was a change somewhere between the late model 2006's and early 2007's in the safety checks that the navigation system does to see if you are moving.

In 2005 the navigation would get locked under any of the following conditions:

1. Vehicle was moved out of park.
    2. The VSS detected the vehicle was moving through the speed sensor wire.
    3. The GPS signal showed the vehicle moving over 8 MPH.

For 2007's this seemed to change to where the unit no longer relied on the GPS Signal to lockout if you were moving over 8 MPH so the lockpick only had to emulate 2 functions instead of three.

The modifed unit for 2005's and 2006's also includes a GPS antenna bypass so when activated it will also disabled the GPS signal going to the navigation system. This feature was no longer needed after the 2007's were introduced and therefore they did not need the modified version.

If you have a 2006 with a mute botton there were some that said the unmodified unit worked and some it did not. There are also some folks that had early model 2007's which said the unmodified unit did not work properly so a change was made somewhere in between this time frame.

Remember that the lockpick works by tricking the navigation system to think that the vehicle is still in park and not moving. Therefore if left on you will have access to all of the locked functions but you can not use the navigation system for directions since it will show you not moving when activated.

Most of the time if using the davigation for directions I leave it off, If I want to make a call or use any locked fuction such as find a destination, make route changes, etc. I press the button to activate it and do what I have to do and when finished I deactivate it and let the nav re-calculate myself back to my route.

Thanks for the info I totally understand now. You rock!

Maybe I am wrong?
    Its a very well engineered piece of equipment actually. I would venture to guess it would cost more than $100 just for the plugs that are on the Lockpicks harness, much less to design and build the circuit board and tehn wire the harness up. I would think the profits are actuall pretty damn slim on a Pick.

Thanks for taking the time to post up and clarify a little on what these things are all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Its a very well engineered piece of equipment actually. I would venture to guess it would cost more than $100 just for the plugs that are on the Lockpicks harness, much less to design and build the circuit board and tehn wire the harness up. I would think the profits are actuall pretty damn slim on a Pick.
    I think that came out sounding wrong when I said "much less". I meant that sacastically. Teh Lockpick is worth the mone for sure and Tomms work to is probably covers parts and $20 for his time (and engineering) maybe.

Mine came today, and it works. At first I thought it didn't. but went together real easy and works perfectly, just need to figure out where to mount the box, was thinking about 2 sided taping it in the capartment over the glove box.

Thanks Tomm!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I think that came out sounding wrong when I said "much less". I meant that sacastically. Teh Lockpick is worth the mone for sure and Tomms work to is probably covers parts and $20 for his time (and engineering) maybe.
    Dang, I need to quit typing in the dark.

KM5BH is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac STS V8

I admit it. I want it all.

I have a 2008 STS V8 and want to unlock the Nav so it can be used properly. I know about the LockPick and where to get that from.

I also want to add HD Radio and be able to use it with out doing away with the XM or Aux inputs. Is it possible and what do I use to make it happen?

I want to see the station and the program or song displayed that's playing. It needs to be compatible with the LockPick and I don't want to loose anything that I currently have.

Has anyone configured this yet? If so, what did you use, and who did you get it from?

Tomm, am I asking the right questions. Your opinion would be really appreciated.

What kind of money am I looking at?

And most importantly, does it work like you expected it to?

I tried this question in another part of the forum and never got an answer. I hope this works out better.

Thanks,

Lewis

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.