Cadillac Owners Forum banner
157K views 577 replies 134 participants last post by  pongta 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I and some of my employees have been getting tons of questions on lockpicks and their functionality and installation instructions. My business specializes in selling radar detectors and my employee's are not trained on anything that is not related to radar detectors. When phones are busy a customer service rep or even someone who handles inventory may pick up the phone or receive online support requests for lockpicks and they have no idea how they work or how they are installed.

The modified STS Lockpicks are sold as a courtesy to the members of this forum. We do not advertise the product nor if you visited our website would find it anywhere on our site and there is a reason for this. Lockpicks are not our business.

We do have a special link for ordering on our site which links from this site so that members of this forum have an easy way to order one if they want one. We do not ship these units with instructions since all the information needed on lockpicks are already in threads here.

Here is a recap of the needed information:

For Modified Lockpicks (All 2005, All 2006 & All 2007, 2008, 2009 STS units that do not have a mute button)

1. All Dip Switches should be OFF (We also ship them in this position with all modified units)
2. Besides connecting the 2 connectors from the back of the navigation unit you will also need to connect a GPS antenna wire.
3. Activation of the unit is not triggered by the mute button but rather the switch that is included with the unit.

Below you will see a picture of the harness which will help you understand what I am referring to. Please take care when running the wires and please try to be gentle with the 1" x 1" box that holds the relay circuitry on the harness. If you pull are the wires you can damage the unit.

If you want to replace the switch with a different type of switch just clip the switch off and add whatever type of switch you want.

The price on the lockpick units will be as follows.. Same as we have sold them in the past.

2007-2008 STS Units w/Mute Button on Steering Wheel $235
2005-2006 STS Units with or Without Mute button $299
2007 STS units without mute button $299

Ordering link: http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Cadillac_STS_2005_2008_Lockpick_p/stslockpick.htm

We have produced over 100 units for members here and I am sure the members that purchased these units and installed the units and use them in their vehicles can help with any questions that you have. Please keep the discussion and support here and not with my employees that have no idea how the product works.

As a recap... All 2005-2006 STS units will require a manual activation switch to activate the system it does not matter if you have a mute button or not on the steering wheel.

Only 2007-2008+ STS units w/ a mute button on the steering wheel do not need the manual switch.

Here is a link to download the coastal installation video:

http://www.coastaletech.com/media/STS INSTALL AND DEMO.zip

The video shows installation in a 2008 STS which has a mute button.

Installation is relatively the same in all STS's with the following exception.

All Modified units need all DIP Switches OFF
All Modified units also have GPS connectors to place inline with the GPS Wire on the back of the navigation unit
All Modifed units are not activated with the mute button, They are activated with the manual switch which is included in the harness.

See less See more
Reactions: CapnCurt
#2 ·
TOMM...

Nice update and consolidation of some really good info.

Just for clarification, on the 07 - 08 WITH mute button, do not need the Modified version, correct? And.. thus, the photo will look different for those that do not need the 'modified' harness, ...yes ?

And, on an unmodified lockpick unit (07's 08's), are all the dip switches still left in off position or is the last one in the on position (as coastaltech's vid implies), nor a connecton to the GPS wire??

Thanks,

#3 ·
TOMM...

Nice update and consolidation of some really good info.

Just for clarification, on the 07 - 08 WITH mute button, do not need the Modified version, correct? And.. thus, the photo will look different for those that do not need the 'modified' harness, ...yes ?

And, on an unmodified lockpick unit (07's 08's), are all the dip switches still left in off position or is the last one in the on position (as coastaltech's vid implies), nor a connecton to the GPS wire??

Thanks,
Correct 2007+ STS units with a mute button will get a harness without the activation switch and no GPS connectors. Dip 5 on the Lockpicks needs to be on for these vehicles only.

#4 ·
Tomm,

One quick question. I have a 2008 with the mute button. I recently received my lockpick from you and it works great. However, when I installed it I noticed that there is a red "ignition" wire hanging from the harness. The directions didn't mention this, and I didn't know where to attach it. So, I just left it hanging. All is working fine, but I was just wondering what the red wire was for.

Thanks,

Craig

#6 ·
Tomm,

One quick question. I have a 2008 with the mute button. I recently received my lockpick from you and it works great. However, when I installed it I noticed that there is a red "ignition" wire hanging from the harness. The directions didn't mention this, and I didn't know where to attach it. So, I just left it hanging. All is working fine, but I was just wondering what the red wire was for.

Thanks,

Craig
Only on 2007+ STS units with a mute button will this wire exist. For normal operation it does not get used. Its just an accessory +12v source in case you want an additional 12v device to get powered with the ignition key such as when you hard wire a radar detector.

#8 ·
I have an '08 STS and have installed an unmodified Lockpick I purchased from Tomm's site. I have an issue where the lockpick functionality not only turns on/off when pressing the mute button four times, but also when pressing any other radio buttons twice, whether on the steering wheel or the touch screen.

Has anyone else heard of this issue? I have contacted Coastaletech, but have not gotten a response as of yet.

Thanks.

#9 ·
I hope others can chime in, When working on the Mod for the 2005-2006's I had access to a 2007 STS and there were no issues and the unmodified unit worked perfectly in the 2007's. Again, I hope others that have them can share their experiences since I personally did not use it on a 2008. We can always exchange it and if the problem continues with a new unit you might need a modded one which will work on all models.

When installing the unit did you follow the coastal unmodified instructions? Dip 5 on?

#10 ·
Thanks for responding so quickly. I did follow Coastaletech's instructions and yes, DIP 5 is on. I was able to talk with their tech support and they aren't willing to give me any support since I didn't buy it from them or one of their approved vendors.

Unless you have another suggestion, I would be interested in exchanging it if possible. Just let me know what you think the best way to handle it would be.

#11 ·
Just send it back to us and we will send out another unit. Please contact me directly so we can discuss swapping options. You can pm me or email me and I will give you all the information.

#13 · (Edited)
Got my lockpick today and installed it. Very odd... It works GREAT... only problem is I don't have to push the mute button 4 times. It seems to just stay unlocked.

Had a DVD playing when I shut it off to do the install. Got it all connected and prior to putting it all back together started it up and the DVD picked up right where it left off.. Put it in drive and it kept playing :confused: So, went for a ride around and it never went back into lock mode no matter how many times I pushed the mute button. All the other functions normally locked out also seem to work fine without having to do anything.

Not complaining.... just was not expecting this pleasant outcome. Did I do something wrong on the install? Verified all dip switches off excpet last one, which is ON as it is supposed to be....

Oooops - just discovered pressing and holding the mute button for voice command no longer works ??? WTF???

#14 ·
Got my lockpick today and installed it. Very odd... It works GREAT... only problem is I don't have to push the mute button 4 times. It seems to just stay unlocked.

Had a DVD playing when I shut it off to do the install. Got it all connected and prior to putting it all back together started it up and the DVD picked up right where it left off.. Put it in drive and it kept playing :confused: So, went for a ride around and it never went back into lock mode no matter how many times I pushed the mute button. All the other functions normally locked out also seem to work fine without having to do anything.
Per our conversation I will be sending you a replacement unit on Friday. Just keep that one installed so you do not have to remove the radio again. Once you receive the replacement unit you will just have to disconnect the old unit and insert the new one. All will be good. I will have the unit tested prior to shipping.

#18 ·
Correct... The 2009 would fit the 2007+ category... If it has a mute button you just need the $235 version which activates from the mute button on the steerling wheel.

#19 ·
heya Tomm, havent been on the site in awhile..i believe i was one of the first guys to get the lockpick waaay back when ya first started selling them for my 2005 STS.. anyways, i had to remove the unit at one point and when i did i broke the solder on the little relay...was hoping i could send it back to ya for a repair.. i would pay all shipping and whatever fee you needed to fix it..all i need to know is where do i send it?
thanks
Johnny

#21 ·
PM Sent, Yours was one of the earlier versions and I think yours even had a different harness. Send it back and we will fix it up for you. Dont send the lockpick.. Just send the harness.

#22 ·
Just want to say kudo's and a big HI-FIVE to Tom for working to resolve an installation on my 2008 STS lockpick.

Had a few glitches here and there, but finally, nailed it! Went with modified harness, that way, to quote him "no if's ands or but's about it...the modified will work on ANY STS regardless of the year".

Actually I rather like the modified one better. No guess work on pushing mute button 4 times - seems confusing. Just flip a switch OF or OFF. Hard to get any easier than that.

#23 ·
I use the manual version in my STS daily and it works well. A few folks asked where to mount the switch... What I have done is just mounted the lockpick to the right of the nav and just ran the switch down and stuck it where the carpet meets the console bottom.. See attached.

Doing it this way there is no mounting and it will stay right there. If I bring the car to the dealer and I dont want them to see it I just slide the switch back up behind the console.

View attachment 50768

#24 ·
Tomm

I tried PM but you box was full.

Hello, just to start off thank you once again for you great help in this forum. I purchased a lockpick from you about a year or so ago. It had worked perfectly and wish to thank you for that.

Well about two months or two ago I started up the car and the Nav screen did not come nor any sound. The white lights around the volume and tune knob come on but that’s it. No function what so ever, you cannot even eject the Nav DVD. Well after a quick drive the next time I started the car up all worked like normal.

About month ago same thing, but this time it took several drive "errands" and then everything came back on like normal... Well unfortunately last weekend it all shut down again and has not come back on.

All this time I was sure it was the Nav unit and not the lockpic, (I had never read of a failure) so I knew I had to take it into the dealer but first I need to remove the lockpick. I removed it as easy as I installed it but as I was connecting the factory cables and put in the grey cable the whole system powered right up...? So I finished the install back to factory and drove it for a week. Everything works just like stock. So today I went to the garage and attempted to re-install the lockpick...

I had FM radio playing and notice the stereo kept playing and screen stayed lit as I removed all the connecters until I get to the grey one then it all shuts down. So I figured this will be an easy test if I can get FM and power up the screen so I installed the grey connector first but no luck. Something has gone bad in my lock pick...

I have not opened up the black box. Before I did anything I wanted to check with you. I did check the 5amp fuse and it looks to be fine..

So any advice will be appreciated. Again I do understand this is not a product covered by a warranty so no worries there. If you feel I need to send it back for you to test I will and won’t mind paying for your time.

Thank you again
Jerry Horta
Hortaja@bellsouth.net
(954)214-6104

#25 ·
Jerry, The Nav screen not starting up is a common issue with the STS Navigation system and not necessarily the lockpick. This happened twice to my STS before I even installed the lockpick. I called the dealer to make an appointment for it and they told me its a common problem and if I disconnect the battery terminal wait 60 seconds when I connect it all would start back up. Sure enough it did.

Essentially when you disconnected the lockpick and reconnected the power cords you essentially did the same thing but you did it the hard way with disconnecting the power from the back of the Navigation unit instead of just disconnecting the power from the battery.

When re-installing the lockpick power needs to be completely off, By connecting the lockpick with the power on it will not get the needed GM lan bus commands and the navigation system will not boot properly.

If you re-install with the power off I would bet almost anything that everything will go back to working normal. You just needed to disconnect the battery terminal and leave everything installed for it to reinitialize properly.

Reactions: jyeilding
#27 ·
hello tomm. i am having the same prob with my 05. i took the unit out for a trip to the dealer for a speaker prob. put it back and it didnt seem to work. Im going to try what was stated above. if that dont work as we spoke on the phone, can i pay to have it repaired or looked at. i really miss my options. thanks tomm you are the best.

#31 ·
A Lockpick disables the 'feature' that prevents one's passenger from entering navigation system destinations, dialing a bluetooth phone, watching a DVD or the whatever source is connected to the RCA jacks found in the center console while the car is in motion.

You still have to press 'I Agree'.

It's a beautiful thing. :D

#32 ·
The only buttons I want to "unlock" are the Search button and the Audio button. When you play DVD-Audio disks, you need those to access the different groups of tracks that have the different audio types (LPCM, PPCM, Dolby Digital, DTS).

It's the only way to get into surround sound mode sometimes and they blank those out while driving. That is really stupid since this is no different than changing the radio station or CD track - bad design.

I wish there was another way; the lockpick seems kind of drastic and intrusive (especially under warranty).

I know a lot of people are doing it and it works great, so don't flame me too much. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.