Official STS Lockpick Thread - Page 26
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac STS Forum - 2005 through 2012 Discussion, Official STS Lockpick Thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Wilsonj45 I ordered, received, and installed the NU-STS on my 2010 STS, very easy 10 minute installation ...
    tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Re: Official STS Lockpick Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonj45 View Post
    I ordered, received, and installed the NU-STS on my 2010 STS, very easy 10 minute installation and all appears to be working with one exception. When the NU-STS is activated I can enter an address in the navi, but when the route is selected the nav arrow on the screen acts as though the car is standing still. If I disable the NU-STS it acts as normal. If I reactivity the system, it freezes and acts if the car is still again. Wondering what may begging on.

John
    This is normal as explained a few times in this thread. When you activate a lockpick it tricks the navigation system into thinking that you are not moving which is why it unlocks all the locked functions. The navigation system will automatically re-lock if it senses that you are moving therefore your VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is disabled when the lockpick is activated. If you need to make changes to your trip in motion you need to activate the lockpick, makes the changes and then disable it and your navigation will re-calibrate you back on your trip.

LewisR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: Official STS Lockpick Thread

Steering wheel heater button issue:

Got my LockPick a few weeks ago, and really enjoying it.

We're in the midst of a cold snap in the northeast, so I don't recall whether I tested the steering wheel heater before today. I am getting no response from that side of the button. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram for the controls, but wanted to see whether this may have presented for someone else.

TIA

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Nothing to do with it.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Broken heated steering wheels are common and hard to fix because of a lack of parts (the steering wheel).

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

The heating element inside the wheel commonly fails, requiring a wheel replacement. GM doesn't have a very large stock of the various model wheels and I'm told the source is TU so it is a crap shoot whether a dealer can find a replacement. If you are out of B2B warranty, the wheel is very pricy if one can be found. A wheel from a salvage yard will most likely also have a bad heater.

zlgibby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldorado ETC
    So I order my lockpick for my 05 about a week and a half and haven't heard back from tomm, figured he's pretty busy I was just curious if he got enough people to do the group buy the last chance before he is done. Anyone else buying one ( a modified one)?

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I remember reading that GM had found another vendor for a short run of STS heated steering wheels. Availablity can be expected to be better, pricing even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    The heating element inside the wheel commonly fails, requiring a wheel replacement.
    Thanks. This one was replaced once under warranty, when I first got the car. However, what prompts my question here is the timing of the issue relative to my installation of the Lockpick. I used the wheel heater all winter with no problems, and right after I do the install, the next time I use it, it doesn't come on. It's not just that the wheel doesn't heat; the light doesn't come on. This indicates to me not a bad element, but a grounded condition at the switch.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

maybe you have a faulty switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    maybe you have a faulty switch?
    If it weren't for the timing of this issue and the installation of the Lockpick, that would be my primary suspect. I doubt it's anything physically wrong with the switch, unless pressing the SRC side of it did something (I never use that button to change the radio source, preferring to use the control on the radio itself). I thought I'd check here first before tearing the wheel apart (and I'm not really prepared to do that with an airbag-equipped wheel).

Thanks.

ddgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS

I believe that the heated steering wheel is thermostat dependent. If it's not cold enough outside it won't come on. ddalder probably knows.

Doug

KRSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 3.6 DI RWD

Quote Originally Posted by ddgm View Post
    I believe that the heated steering wheel is thermostat dependent. If it's not cold enough outside it won't come on. ddalder probably knows.

Doug
    Mine works hot or cold.

carter's_sts is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V & 06 STS 4
    Also, I've read other reports on here where they said the light wouldn't come on and the wheel still had to be replaced. I agree, you wouldn't think it would be a bad heating element in that case though.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Quote Originally Posted by KRSTS View Post
    Mine works hot or cold.
    It shouldn't.

Lew - I'd hope for a fuse, but coincidences DO happen.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Sorry for the last of posting lately. Last batch of STS Lockpicks are being produced even though many people who originally committed never came through with payment. In any case we ordered all the parts and are building the harnesses right now. First few will ship next week and the balance the following week. There is a no chance that the lockpick would have any effect on the heated steering wheel especially since the modified lockpics do not even have any GM Communication to the steering wheel controls and they are operated 100% from the switch included on the harness.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.